X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally used the K50

So I finally tried the K50. Galvanized pipe starting with an 1.25 marvel. I don't think I had a good selection of cutting heads. I had to use a 5/8 spring to get around the first 90. The connections seem awfully big to make hard turns. with my machine I would have bent the cable to get around the first turn. By the way I forgot the guide hose so I had to use a piece of 1.5 PVC to keep from making a mess. I got the first section of cable in then I could not get the second around the 1st 90. Maybe that's as far as I could get my drum? any how I pulled the cable back and the line drained like a champ. I made a big mess with the cable spinning that fast but if my drum machine got hung up and freed itself I would have had the same mess.

I sure did like the size of the machine. Most important I liked releasing the handle and having no torque on the cable.

I could not imagine having a K50 without at least 4 0r 5 guide hoses I think I could get most jobs done with that then I would not have to load the 1 hose in some ones house. Just a thought.

Over all on 1 drain I liked it. would not be afraid to buy one. For most of my main drains they are over 100' I'm not sure if I want to pull that much cable by hand. but until I try a big sectional I won't say. I will say much as I like my big machine getting it in and out of basements is a pain but the auto feed and retrieve is nice.

So in conclusion If I have to buy a new sink machine I think I'll get the K60 with 5 guide hoses. The Main reason is size and weight. Like any of us we will get the line open with a harbor freight special if we have to. now I'm looking for the small things that make my job more pleasant.

Re: Finally used the K50

Thanks for having an open mind about it. Sometimes when it won't go any further, put it in reverse while popping the handle will usually do the trick.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have a little trouble with the k60 on 1 1/2 galv. drains, I use my k39af to get the line draining then I go thru with the k60 for a good clean if using snakes, lately I have been using my k39af to get it opened then using my little mini gas jetter with 1/8" hose to do the real clean and it is really fast and I know I did a great job. But I am using my leader head jet to get thru on galvy.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i have the 39 AF, i like it. i'm looking at the 60 and will probably get it. All so the 3800. Haven't looked at jetters.

Comment

Yea good one gear junkie I learned that on this forum and that works great too.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Thanks for having an open mind about it. Sometimes when it won't go any further, put it in reverse while popping the handle will usually do the trick.
            What about the extra guide hose's? Why does no one do that. I would not want to feed cable in the guide hose in a nice bathroom or kitchen. Most unfinished basements I would not care my mess with the machine might be an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
              What about the extra guide hose's? Why does no one do that. I would not want to feed cable in the guide hose in a nice bathroom or kitchen. Most unfinished basements I would not care my mess with the machine might be an improvement.
              You can get a ten foot long rear guide hose.

Comment

if you really wanted to, you could buy some 1'' outdoor/ grey electrical flex. but truthfully, the idea of using a huge amount of rear guide hose is not a fast thing. if you want fast, get a drum machine or i use a 5 gallon bucket to feed my dirty cable back into.

also 1.25'' is very small for a 5/8'' cable. especially with bends. i use the 5/8'' on 1.5'' and 2'' with great results. also the proper heads will make life easy. try a bulb head, a straight auger and the 4 blade cutter. those are 3 of my go to cutters.

rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-21-2008, 09:04 PM.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Watch how I feed my k60 on the roundup video. I feed male end from the back of the guide hose and connect it behind the machine. The guide hose isn't attached to the machine. The advantage to this is that there's no exposed cable during the process. When done, feed the cable directly back into the cable reel.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just thought of this so it might not work and it's probably overkill. Get a 6' piece of 4" pvc with a cap on one end and a male adapter on the other end. Load all your 5/8 cable into the pipe, male end sticking out. Get another 2' piece of 4" pvc with a female adapter on one end and a cap on the other end. This 2' piece is used as a cap for storage. Just place the holder behind the k50 and feed pieces directly from the pipe to the k50. Looks good in my mind.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                    X