X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Sink Clog

I'm more than disappointed at this point in a recent job I'm sucked into.

Right now, the drain is winning.

First call out, laundry tub backing up, I ask if you run water in the kitchen sink if it comes up in the tub, YES.

Head directly to basement, pop the cap off the tree and BAM! open it up in seconds. Tells me the faucet is running slow on the kitchen sink, I go up and clean the aerator, off I go.

She calls 2 days later to tell me that the kitchen sink is draining slow, apologizes for not telling me the day I was there and asked if I would come back to clear the drain when I get time. 5 weeks go by as I haven't had time to do the job and she calls me, states the kitchen sink is clogged this past wednesday....now she needs me.

I go over there, set up my 81 and down I go, drain opens.

I tell her to go look downstairs to see if the clogged moved to the obstruction I first cleared last time I was there in the floor at the base of that tree, she comes up and says it's fine, no backup.

I go and pull the cable back out, I ask her to go look again and she's frustrated that I'm asking her again to check..........BUT,

sure enough, I moved the clog and now the tubs are full. Repeat the steps the first time I was there and the drain opens.......and since the clog was partial, the drain above now runs smooth and so does the LT.

Anyway....fast foward two days and now she calls me back....says there's a small leak running down the wall now. I warned her that between the drain cleaning product I used and the very thorough cabling to the drain, I could of exposed any holes in the pipe that took years to happen, not hours.

I told her that copper trap arms after 40 to 60 years old are the first to wear out given that food has an acidic base. I didn't think it would be just a couple days before she called and sure enough.....I now have to pull a cabinet base to fix this monstrosity.

So, today, I had to stop everything here at the shop with the second biz and take my welder over with me to get "in and out".

Actually, we was doing spectacular as we had removed the base cabinet, opened the wall, removed the pitted copper which was only at the very end near the brass tee, replaced with pvc and a mission no-hub coupling, all together with a new trap, run the water,

This effing drain backs up instantly, solid, dead solid where there's nothing allowing water to pass. WTF???!!!! I know all the pipe which was less than a couple feet and trap are clear as can be.

The water stood in this drain like it was a vaccum lock, running the cable down the drain and hearing it clanging loudly in the basement with the pipe definitely empty is testament to this.

Son of a.........Mother....

Everything went from complete to incomplete in a matter of seconds.

Here's what I think happened:

Cutting the copper shot garbage down the drain......sealing what was a once opened drain.

Vibrating the pipe ended the existence of this piping because we pulled the cleanout cap on this 1.5" cast-iron line and sure enough, you can't event drive a chisel into this solid mass where copper meets cast.

What the first cabling only accomplished was probably a pin hole opening in this totally clogged drain, the customer barks off that the drain has been draining slow for YEARS...the kind of drain that rocks like a boat when it drains.

You drain cleaners know that scenario well I'm sure.

So I told her today, after putting that drain back together and cabling for a freaking hour with that water not budging at all, I told her that I've been here 3 times in a short period of time,

I "can" try to attempt to bring the 100 drum and attempt to chop through this 60 year old waste, or I can replace this drain system that I promise will come out someday....no doubt.

I'm set to bust the floor open and remove all this tuesday, reluctantly.

I truly think that I killed the drain when all that garbage slid down to the hard obstruction....forever ending the drain's life completely.

I bet the hole it was draining through was less than an inch my cable corkscrewed through it.

This is a boundary I've crossed many times where I'm forced to commit the property owner to replace/fix the problem, not band-aid the symptoms. I truly believe even if I get that drain open with the bigger machine........she'll be spitting teeth at me the next time it backs up.

How do you expect a 60 year old drain that hasn't seen mechanical cleaning in 20 plus years..........?

I have 2.5 hours in clearing that drain......enough is enuff!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Kitchen Sink Clog

I agree...replace it!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

K-50 would've knocked it out.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        I'm more than disappointed at this point in a recent job I'm sucked into.

Right now, the drain is winning.

First call out, laundry tub backing up, I ask if you run water in the kitchen sink if it comes up in the tub, YES.

Head directly to basement, pop the cap off the tree and BAM! open it up in seconds. Tells me the faucet is running slow on the kitchen sink, I go up and clean the aerator, off I go.

She calls 2 days later to tell me that the kitchen sink is draining slow, apologizes for not telling me the day I was there and asked if I would come back to clear the drain when I get time. 5 weeks go by as I haven't had time to do the job and she calls me, states the kitchen sink is clogged this past wednesday....now she needs me.

I go over there, set up my 81 and down I go, drain opens.

I tell her to go look downstairs to see if the clogged moved to the obstruction I first cleared last time I was there in the floor at the base of that tree, she comes up and says it's fine, no backup.

I go and pull the cable back out, I ask her to go look again and she's frustrated that I'm asking her again to check..........BUT,

sure enough, I moved the clog and now the tubs are full. Repeat the steps the first time I was there and the drain opens.......and since the clog was partial, the drain above now runs smooth and so does the LT.

Anyway....fast foward two days and now she calls me back....says there's a small leak running down the wall now. I warned her that between the drain cleaning product I used and the very thorough cabling to the drain, I could of exposed any holes in the pipe that took years to happen, not hours.

I told her that copper trap arms after 40 to 60 years old are the first to wear out given that food has an acidic base. I didn't think it would be just a couple days before she called and sure enough.....I now have to pull a cabinet base to fix this monstrosity.

So, today, I had to stop everything here at the shop with the second biz and take my welder over with me to get "in and out".

Actually, we was doing spectacular as we had removed the base cabinet, opened the wall, removed the pitted copper which was only at the very end near the brass tee, replaced with pvc and a mission no-hub coupling, all together with a new trap, run the water,

This effing drain backs up instantly, solid, dead solid where there's nothing allowing water to pass. WTF???!!!! I know all the pipe which was less than a couple feet and trap are clear as can be.

The water stood in this drain like it was a vaccum lock, running the cable down the drain and hearing it clanging loudly in the basement with the pipe definitely empty is testament to this.

Son of a.........Mother....

Everything went from complete to incomplete in a matter of seconds.

Here's what I think happened:

Cutting the copper shot garbage down the drain......sealing what was a once opened drain.

Vibrating the pipe ended the existence of this piping because we pulled the cleanout cap on this 1.5" cast-iron line and sure enough, you can't event drive a chisel into this solid mass where copper meets cast.

What the first cabling only accomplished was probably a pin hole opening in this totally clogged drain, the customer barks off that the drain has been draining slow for YEARS...the kind of drain that rocks like a boat when it drains.

You drain cleaners know that scenario well I'm sure.

So I told her today, after putting that drain back together and cabling for a freaking hour with that water not budging at all, I told her that I've been here 3 times in a short period of time,

I "can" try to attempt to bring the 100 drum and attempt to chop through this 60 year old waste, or I can replace this drain system that I promise will come out someday....no doubt.

I'm set to bust the floor open and remove all this tuesday, reluctantly.

I truly think that I killed the drain when all that garbage slid down to the hard obstruction....forever ending the drain's life completely.

I bet the hole it was draining through was less than an inch my cable corkscrewed through it.

This is a boundary I've crossed many times where I'm forced to commit the property owner to replace/fix the problem, not band-aid the symptoms. I truly believe even if I get that drain open with the bigger machine........she'll be spitting teeth at me the next time it backs up.

How do you expect a 60 year old drain that hasn't seen mechanical cleaning in 20 plus years..........?

I have 2.5 hours in clearing that drain......enough is enuff!
        Could it be a grease blockage?

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          K-50 would've knocked it out.
          ben,you beat me to the punch

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            ben,you beat me to the punch

rick.

Now, now.......if my 100 was there....this wouldn't of been a thread but quite possibly.....

this is a "win the battle but lose the war" scenario to which I can't guarantee another recurring clog from happening.....but I can guarantee that replacement will solve the problem.......given I'm hooking to clean pipe from that point on.

To MasterPlumb,

Cable is clean, super shiny when I pull it back.......like I'm cutting through hard rock.

When I cut this out tuesday I'll see how hard the chisel works to break it out of the piping.

Link me the model of that bidet you got.......I need one with a dryer.....lol! I'm going to put my *** to the test and go toilet paper free.

Comment

It is the TOTO washlet model # 300

http://www.totousa.com/prodcatalog.asp?cid=41
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Hey Dunbar I've seen 10' of cast with the bottom rotted out and the pipe full of dirt. How did it go from draining one day to suddenly nothing. You would think it would have happened sooner, but for years it worked then nothing. Shiney cutting heads means big trouble with pipe. WE all know it so you are right to replace.

Comment

Had an almost identical problem on a 2" vertical for a KS and basement laundry.
                  Turns out the CI below slab had melted through the bottom from years of draino...it was draining directly into the ground and the 2" between it and the 4" main was completely filled with dirt from back wash.

Comment

When it comes to old, rotting, rusty, caked up cast-iron and galvanized kitchen drains, repiping them is almost ALWAYS better then simply cleaning.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I agree totally.

Yes, I make more money in that venue of thinking but there's nothing, nothing I can guarantee to this old lady otherwise if she goes with aggressive drain cleaning.

Every attachment down a drain follows the path of least resistance and that doesn't always mean that you can bring the inside diameter back to original dimension.

And of course, the inside of this piping is guaranteed rough, scaling and susceptible to buildup again.

Only thing this drain has going for it....is that it has a proper vent. She already asked if I could bypass and run through the floor, told her absolutely not. That was for the leak in the wall.

Her problem now lies in a conglomeration of numerous small cast iron fittings.

Pictures

are

coming.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Pictures

are

coming.

NOT!

I could NOT see this going in the direction of a jackhammer,

I called my drain guy and he rodded the drain with the 100,

Had a good go at it and it was real tough, but got it running

good enough.

Charged me $125 and she's happy.......I couldn't make it there

this week as I got too much going on.

I'm going to charge her for my time to fix the pipe, half my time

with the small machine and full charge for the drain guy there

today.

Just glad it's off my back.

Comment

Working...
                        X