Pumping grease traps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumping grease traps

Anyone pump traps? I'm looking to add this service for my restaraunt clients. What do you do with the waste? Landfill here won't take it when liquid. Any certs/liscencing required where you are? Any special transport permits? tks, Alex
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Pumping grease traps

I don't do it, because of the disposal requirements. They vary by region, so you'd better make a call to the local waste authorities regarding grease disposal laws in your area.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I would give these guys a call

http://www.breckenridgesanitation.org/

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't know about your states requirements,but I have been researching this also,and it can be very profitable.I was in New York City a few weeks ago and was talking to an employee of a company who was pumping a restaurants grease trap,and he told me that that truck averages over $2k a day,and when they do Rockefeller center it takes 2 guys 8 hours with a portable vacuum going back and forth to the truck(too far to access with the trucks hose),and they charge $10k,but the permit to service that account cost a few grand.They also collect used waste oil.I am pretty sure you need a waste haulers permit to haul the grease trap waste which is pretty nasty goop.He told me they sell the waste cooking oil to a company that makes bio-diesel,and they seperate the grease trap waste,and sell the solids to a company that exports it to other countries that use it to make make up and soap etc.Pretty wild stuff,I just thought they dumped it where the septic trucks dump the sewage.I know of a restaurant exhaust hood company that does it on a small scale (small grease traps) with a portable drum type vac on wheels and has a waste company pick up the drums.The employee in New York was driving a isuzu box truck with a big tank mounted inside,and a small pto driven pump underneath the box of the truck,they also had a portable pro-vac for accounts they could not access with the trucks hose.

Comment

i too have been thinking of doing the exact same thing but to be honest it seems very daunting.......i live in northern new jersey and i would assume id need epa certificates ....nj health and sanitation permits alos......but i will tell you u have to seperate the grease from yellow to brown grease and there r companies that will buy it....im still looking into the finer aspects of it but ill keep u informed.....john c

Comment

I understand that dollar signs always drive the idea, but my fellow tradesmen,

grease traps were, and are some of the worst experiences I ever dealt with, other than clogged drains that were left for months in basements that grew a mold top from age.

SO so many times the last guy didn't put grease on the bolts, rusted up or had to be broke out/busted, drilled out.

Had to always make new gaskets out of silicone or attempt to use the old paper one the mfg. purposely made to last a short time. And to top it all off?

The restaurant workers that bump into you...or ask to move or continue preparing food right in your work area knowing it was unsanitary to do so.

Tuff stuff......not exactly human excrement but the smells and flavahs put it up there in the top 5 of horrible smells and situations in the plumber's bible.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I hear ya on the nasty smells Dunbar! I have had a few nasty grease trap experiences in my day.I worked in a few restaurants as a teenager,and one of my first jobs was in a Ponderosa steak house in NJ in 1980.We had a disgusting slovenly guy who washed dishes and ate off almost every dirty plate that went to him.His other task there was to clean the grease trap,which didn't phase this guy at all.He was out one day,and we just got this new manager from down south who was about 5 foot tall and all of about 100lbs soaking wet.He barked orders at everybody like a drill sargent who was 7 feet tall.He came to me and said "boy,I want you to clean out that grease trap,and I don't want to see a speck of grease in there when your done".I asked him if he could wait until the dishwasher came back tomorrow that he was the one who was in charge of that,and that I don't think I could handle the smell of it.I asked him really nice,and he jumped all over me and told me I was fired.I went and changed out of my uniform,cornered him in the walk in cooler,and cursed him out and threw my uniform and black shoes in his face,and he started screaming for someone to call mall security like the little worm he was and I stormed out punching the time clock off the wall and got a job the next day at a Sbarro's pizza place on the other side of the mall! I was a hot headed teenager,but this guy was a big mouthed little troll.I owned a couple of restaurants in Jersey over the years and the grease trap was the most unpleasant task of operating a small restaurant.I had one back up into the kitchen on a busy Friday night in my Chicken and Rib restaurant,and that was a nitemare.

Comment

Originally posted by atlas sewer View Post
                i too have been thinking of doing the exact same thing but to be honest it seems very daunting.......i live in northern new jersey and i would assume id need epa certificates ....nj health and sanitation permits alos......but i will tell you u have to seperate the grease from yellow to brown grease and there r companies that will buy it....im still looking into the finer aspects of it but ill keep u informed.....john c
                John
                I would imagine Jersey would require all kinds of permits,but with the amount of restaurants and food service facilities in your area it would probably be worth going through the hassle.The guy I talked to in the city told me that companies who service grease traps in Jersey have it easier as far as separating the solids because in NJ you are allowed to heat the grease trap waste when processing it to be sold,but companies in NY for some reason are not allowed to heat it to process it. Where are you in Jersey City? My whole family is originally from Jersey city/Hoboken.I was born there and spent a lot of time in the area growing up.I still have family in Bayonne and Cliffside park.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  Igrease traps were, and are some of the worst experiences I ever dealt with, area knowing it was unsanitary to do so.

Tuff stuff......not exactly human excrement but the smells and flavahs put it up there in the top 5 of horrible smells and situations in the plumber's bible.
                  i'd much rather deal with poop than virtually ANYTHING in a kitchen. besides it's easier to remove caca than grease from the gear and work gloves last longer.

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

safecleenim originally from jersey city greenville area near westside...i currently reside in bayonne near the jc border....i really have to talk to the building department in my town and see if they can point me in the right direction.....if your ever in the area......we should do lunch......john c

Comment

John
                      I would also check with DEP to see what their regulations are.It's a small world,I was born on West Side ave near Lincoln Park and have an Aunt and Uncle who live in Bayonne.I like the Bergen/Hudson/Rockland county area business wise.I also had a small bar and restaurant supply business covering that area in the late 80's early 90's and had hundreds of accounts there.I'm in the middle of a bunch of projects right now,but when I can free up some time and head down that way,lunch would be cool,and on me(my cousin owns a pizza place in North Bergen lol!)
                      Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X