Cable "WARNING"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cable "WARNING"

I agree with allclear. Trenchless CAN be good in certain situations where digging in near-impossible, but its never better than digging and doing it the old-fashioned way.

I have used pipe-bursting and I was quite impressed, but again, there can be slight bellies left in the line beyond control.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I've never even seen bursting, but it sounds perfectly horrible. OTOH, I have used people with a vibrating bullet to bore a hole for new water lines and such without having to dig up a nice yard and that works great.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        Because it is .....lol

My reasons very from experience.
        We just bid a dig and replacement of a trenchless job
        My master plumber wanted me to get the equipment to do trenchless until I showed him Why I was a nonbeliever.

Trenchless like many other things in our trade has it`s place but is not the right way to do things. It`s hacking!!!!!

1. if there's a belly they have a head that will straighten it out and leave a void below. The Void will leave a place for the pipe to settle causing another belly.

2. If you are bursting and there is a large or any root for that matter you've only move it out of the way but it will be back and cause the same problems.

3. A patch is only just that "Patching up the problem" to come back at a latter time. There's a reason why you needed to patch it and you need to address that problem from outside the pipe.

4. Pulling pipe will stretch the pipe and it will take it`s original form some day leaving a void at the connection points. "Seen it many times"

I could go on and on. You just cant replace the Plumber and Backhoe if you want it fixed right.

I know Rick does this kind of work and in no way am I calling him a hack but if we were to bid the same job I bet I would get it after I explained the whys on "Not to go trenchless"
        I`m just a nonbeliever because I have gone along behind crews replacing their work with a backhoe and correcting the problem they couldn't do from inside the pipe.

"Just Say "NO" To No-Dig"
        Well Rick - what is the other side of the story here? I have been looking at trenchless, but thus far have come to some of the same conclusions as All Clear (without having ever actually replaced a latteral myself )
        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Thinking about this Steve. I think you're in the wrong business. You might want to look into relining or trenchless repair. Your town has the worst sewers in America for you to have that kind of workload.
          What??? I would LOVE if the sewers in my area were in the condition that they apparently are there. Keep the cables hot! $$$ .

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
            Well Rick - what is the other side of the story here? I have been looking at trenchless, but thus far have come to some of the same conclusions as All Clear (without having ever actually replaced a latteral myself )
            trenchless pipe bursting is not the solution to every sewer problem.

it is a much better solution to relining. relining is typically a band aide that mimics the original problem.

pipe bursting actually replaces the pipe with new pipe, typically hdpe that is prefused at 20' intervals and reamed to the full bore of the pipe.

this new pipe is virtually indestructible. it's not abs. it's hdpe. i can hit it all day long with a sledge hammer and not damage it. the bore of the pipe is clean and slick.

with pipe bursting/ trenchless, i actually replace the existing pipe with new from point a to point b. the original pipe is actually burst/ split and is moved into the existing dirt that surrounds the pipe bed. the new pipe is full size that is hydraulically pulled into place. i can and have pulled through 3- 4'' 45's without an issue. i have never tried a 90.

the pipe is re-connected to the existing stubs with a mission/ fernco bands.

the advantage is not having to dig, saw-cut, landscape and re-compact the entire trench. only a 24'' x 48'' pit is required at the pulling end. this is dug 6'' deeper than the existing sewer line. the entry pit is dug just large enough as you would need to install a clean out.

as far as removing sags, i've never attempted to replace a line with sags/ back fall. typically i replace lines full of roots and offsets.

with relining, the liner is an internal epoxy cast that mimics the original pipe and offsets. roots need to be cut back clean or the liner will not properly inflate to the full diameter of the pipe. offsets will still be offsets, just with a smoother transition.

regardless of what system you use, a proper video inspection is needed prior to any job or quote. and a proper inspection is needed afterwards to verify proper installation, especially with relining.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              trenchless pipe bursting is not the solution to every sewer problem.

it is a much better solution to relining. relining is typically a band aide that mimics the original problem.

pipe bursting actually replaces the pipe with new pipe, typically hdpe that is prefused at 20' intervals and reamed to the full bore of the pipe.

this new pipe is virtually indestructible. it's not abs. it's hdpe. i can hit it all day long with a sledge hammer and not damage it. the bore of the pipe is clean and slick.

with pipe bursting/ trenchless, i actually replace the existing pipe with new from point a to point b. the original pipe is actually burst/ split and is moved into the existing dirt that surrounds the pipe bed. the new pipe is full size that is hydraulically pulled into place. i can and have pulled through 3- 4'' 45's without an issue. i have never tried a 90.

the pipe is re-connected to the existing stubs with a mission/ fernco bands.

the advantage is not having to dig, saw-cut, landscape and re-compact the entire trench. only a 24'' x 48'' pit is required at the pulling end. this is dug 6'' deeper than the existing sewer line. the entry pit is dug just large enough as you would need to install a clean out.

as far as removing sags, i've never attempted to replace a line with sags/ back fall. typically i replace lines full of roots and offsets.

with relining, the liner is an internal epoxy cast that mimics the original pipe and offsets. roots need to be cut back clean or the liner will not properly inflate to the full diameter of the pipe. offsets will still be offsets, just with a smoother transition.

regardless of what system you use, a proper video inspection is needed prior to any job or quote. and a proper inspection is needed afterwards to verify proper installation, especially with relining.

rick.
              I looked at several bursting machines at the PHCC show. Which is your favorite?

BTW - I really appreciate all of the information from the forum. It's really helping me develop a master plan. Hoping to return the favor with a little business advice now and then to anybody that wants to listen.
              spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Rick I have been running 125 of 3/4 IC in my 7500 from day one."2 Years"
                I found that the trick is to install the 25` first then the 100`.

When that Dure Cable was new it was trashed on the first C/O. I do that same C/O tomorrow along with 16 other ones. I bet my Ridgid cable will still be like new when done and I have already done 7 jobs with it.
                Well I have returned from the long day of 17 sewer cleanings at the food processing plant.
                All went well and time was cut to 20 to 25 minutes a 125` run.

I will never use Dura cable again. My helper told me if I was to try it again he would kick the crap out of me

Don't this look good!!!!
                For MrsSeatDown Notice the UPS Parking

And now for a little work inside the building. The machine is 3.5 feet from the C/O
                Do that with a K-60 and run 125` J/K

Notice how CLEAN the area is They don't like sewer machines that leave a mess around their clean plant....

I wouldn't have this job if it wasn't for the K-7500 as they own a 1500 and don't want it inside the plant because of the mess it leaves behind.

Anyway after all the C/O`s the cable still looks "NEW" and this was the site that put the KILL on the Dura Cable just 30 days a go
                Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 06-29-2008, 05:08 PM.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I don't know Steve you have just as much if not more cable exposed while cleaning with your K-7500 as you would with a section. However, if I had to pick the correct machine for your job it would have been a K-7500 because of the ease of access.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

But with a sectional you couldn't set on the bucket and let the cable feed all by itself. You would have to be on the other side of that bar holding the cable so it wouldn't be flopping around. They use to try and do this job with their 1500 and said it would take all of a day and a 1/2. I`m there and gone in just under 8 hours and take a lunch and a few brakes to go out side and warm up. It`s COLD in there

The key is "NO MESS or CABLES strung out all over the floor
                    Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Aww the things you can do with the K7500 and some pipe
                      I had to work under this trailer house while they were setting it.
                      Hey, if I had a K-60 I could have just crawled under it in all the sewage and fed cable but "NO" I use the 7500 and let it feed the cable from out in the open while I set on my bucket

Anyway Durs Cable is dodging me. They were to call me back with return info this morning but the office said they didn't call....hummmmmmm

They asked me what was wrong with their cable and I told em it cant keep up with the Ridgid cable I have been using and it`s all twisted up like it`s 2 years old.
                      Mike told me he`s got many users that use a K-7500 and never has seen this before... Yea Right.
                      Anyway, I`ll call em one last time tomorrow and see if I get the return info. If not their name will be mud all over the internet for sure

Comment

Well I have returned from the long day of 17 sewer cleanings at the food processing plant.
                        All went well and time was cut to 20 to 25 minutes a 125` run.

I will never use Dura cable again. My helper told me if I was to try it again he would kick the crap out of me

Don't this look good!!!!
                        For MrsSeatDown Notice the UPS Parking

And now for a little work inside the building. The machine is 3.5 feet from the C/O
                        Do that with a K-60 and run 125` J/K

Notice how CLEAN the area is They don't like sewer machines that leave a mess around their clean plant....

I wouldn't have this job if it wasn't for the K-7500 as they own a 1500 and don't want it inside the plant because of the mess it leaves behind.

Anyway after all the C/O`s the cable still looks "NEW" and this was the site that put the KILL on the Dura Cable just 30 days a go

Is that a Landscaping company vehicle

Food processing plant, no way to get the jetter in there???
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

We use the jetter on the outside line that is always full of butter.

Is that a Landscaping company vehicle
                          Was today as I was fixing another plumbers screw-up.

Smashed Septic Tank that`s only a few months old

And tomorrow I go clean up the mess they left when they did the install so I guess it is a sewer & Landscaping company vehicle
                          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 07-01-2008, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Nice sandals...are they OSHA approved?

Comment

WOW I even has em on in that picture....rotflmao
                              some times I even take em off so I dont get mud on the mini

We have this guy for all the off tractor work
                              He`s got his boots on
                              Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Isn't that one of those "not worth a damn" poly tanks?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X