Which one?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one?

As I stated in my first post I am ordering a K-50 from USA to be delivered

to me in OZ. After reading the many threads on here I am wondering

if it is worth paying the extra bucks and going for the K-60 instead?

To recap, I am a plumber of 20+ years who has no experience with any

type of drain machines. I am looking to add drain clearing service to my

business. From what I can gather the K-60 has more 'ommph' than the

K-50. The majority of my work will be on sink/shower/bath lines and

4" main lines. (95% PVC)

I am just wondering how steep is the learning curve would be with

these machines?

Thanks guys

Re: Which one?

If I were ever to get set up to clean drains I would start out with a k-60 backed up with a k-39.

If you never deal with roots then the k50 will be all you need. Just get the heavier 5/8 cable. It'll probably take 4-10 jobs to get really good with it. You made a good choice by getting the k50 first. You will need to grind a groove or indent at the female end so the cable snap together easier. This feature is standard with the 7/8 cable. I guess something was lost with the 5/8.

If you do deal with roots then Adam was exactly on the money when he said the k60 and k39. I think you'll have better success with the sectionals as it seems the plumbing down under uses alot of boundary traps. The sectionals will go through them alot easier than a drum cable.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

congrats on the 50. a great machine. i also have a 39, & 75. when i get a 60 i'll probably set it for 7/8s and not change it as i like the footprint and workability of the 50. use the 60 for the PITA places i can't/won't take the 75.

In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

the 60 will do the stuff the 50 can do and more. it will run the identical k-50 5/8'' cable.
          the 60 will do the 7/8'' cable. this wil give you roots and 6''pipe with the upgraded innercore cable.

the only thing the 60 can't do is run a drum adapter for 5/16'' and 3/8'' cable. truthfully i never use my k50 drum adapters. i use my k-39pf instead

if it's not too late, i would swap the k-50 for a k-60. you'll be happy with the broader range of pipe and cleaning you'll be able to do.

the k-60 is the last machine i would want to part with
          the k-40 would be the first

keep us posted.

phoebe it is

Aww HELL just get a Spartan 100(75' of 13/32" no-core) and a Spartan 300(75' of 5/8" no-core).......for b/sinks and b/tubs get an Erickson top snake(20' of 1/4" cable)....these three will handle everything!!!!....later on you should be able to purchase a Ridgid Seesnake and locator$$$$$$$$$.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              If I were ever to get set up to clean drains I would start out with a k-60 backed up with a k-39.
              I second that, those tools are what I primarily use.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Have decided to stick with the K-50.

Because of customs duty and postage weight restrictions it was a no go

with the k-60.

I think the K-50 will be good enough for me to start with. As a plumber

I mainly get calls for shower/bath and kitchen blocks . If I get into bigger

stuff I'll treat myself to the K-60...

Thanks for all your advice, I'll let you know how I go when it turns up.

I'll keep reading the forum.

Rick, If you don't use your K-50 drums I don't suppose you fancy selling

them to a UK plumber stuck out in the ozzie outback!!?