• Show
Clear All

• Best manhole extractor

Has anyone ever tried one of these?
    http://www.equipsysco.com/RHINO.html
    What works for you?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Best manhole extractor

Gear I ,can make that in a heart beat. I have many sledges. I'd just weld The end of a Ironworkers slever bar. On the end of one of My sledges. If You really need one It's Yours. You just pay shipping . I use greyhound,cheap . Still about $40. I just shipped Roy to Boston
    45 Lbs. Roy is a 6' Cow boy 1/4" steel. If You have it made in the hobby shop.
    Pre heat with a rose bud ,or weed burner to 200 degrees. Than cram and jam with 7018.
    Let Me know. Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Do a search on the Pat. ##s interisting , also other products.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've never seen that one. I use a hook/pick along with a sledge for the stubborn lids. I'd like to try this one out but it's over $1000. It would be great for the days when I'm filling in on the survey crew and popping all the lids to get inverts.

Comment

Mdm, that's great. 2 wheeler and 1 hr. of weld fab. for Me

Comment

I've seen a couple that work grate on NEW covers and/or smooth pavement around them.
            I'll stick with my shovel and piece of threaded rod. Works every time.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i use just the regular manhole hook. it works on all but the ones that are full of tar.

$20. and i've had it for years.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Gear I ,can make that in a heart beat. I have many sledges. I'd just weld The end of a Ironworkers slever bar. On the end of one of My sledges. If You really need one It's Yours. You just pay shipping . I use greyhound,cheap . Still about $40. I just shipped Roy to Boston
                45 Lbs. Roy is a 6' Cow boy 1/4" steel. If You have it made in the hobby shop.
                Pre heat with a rose bud ,or weed burner to 200 degrees. Than cram and jam with 7018.
                Let Me know. Tool
                Thanks for the offer. I'm taking welding this semester so maybe I'll try to make it myself. How do you keep the metal from getting brittle when you heat it up? I heated up the tip of a 2' section of cable to make a big straight auger and it seemed to have lost it's spring. It became very stiff and I assume more brittle. I would hate for the sledge to lose it's temper and shatter. Have you ever hit 2 hammers together? Don't, because they shatter.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

In the real world with minimum impact on the pick end You're fine. What You would do.
                  I have a commercial metal band saw,I would cut off one head of the sledge. With My plasma cutter,or scarfing tip in Oxy. Actl. torch, I'd groove the top to receive the DRIFT PIN. Weld with 7018. Then heat and put a curve in it. Drift pins are used by Iron workers to alaign bolt holes in I beams. I'f You want to temper it . use a forge or. Dig a hole in the ground,fill with charcoal. dig a slit trench from it. Run in a suction hose from a shop vac. When head turns straw colar dump in motor oil. Welcome to the world of welding. It's so much fun to fab. it all. We built an 18 yd. dump truck bed for My ford 8000. And please join us at the hobart weld site. I'm Tool there also. We have hackers like Me and Guys that do Sub Hulls and Nasa welders. It's a great Family,just like this one Tool

Comment

I've been using a digging bar for years. Always worked fine. The price is right too. Occasionally I have to get out my pic axe. .

Comment

Working...
                    X