X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing sand from tub drain

So a couple of weeks ago, my family and I went to have dinner at some friends house, (they have 2 kids also, so there is 2 almost 2 year olds, and 2 4 year olds) Anyways, the kids go out to play in the sand box. Since it is in the 90's the sand is sticking to all the kiddo's, so they all get thrown into the tub. So, on Fri, I get a call from my wife telling me that now the sink drain is not draining well, and that the tub is draining much slower.

Go over there today, sink drain is an unrelated problem- TP in the pop up assembly, clear that, run water, A-OK.

Now to the Tub. Tub is draining, significantly slower than it should and there is sand in the tub, and i ask my wife if she knew weather that was from a drain backup or what? She replied, no she just bathed the kids before they left and she didn't want to flush more sand down the drain.

My question to you all, should I even go after this partial blockage with my top snake, or should I try and plunge it, or do I find someone with a jetter?

I would say that the p-trap is about 30-40% clogged judging by the speed of the water draining.

Some info on the house.
    about 5 years old, post tension slab, ABS plastic drains.

Another thought I just had, maybe I could hook up a shop vac at the overflow and plug off the shoe and suck out some of the sand.

Thanks for any input.
    I'll be atacking this sometime tomorrow.

Greg

Re: Removing sand from tub drain

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
    So a couple of weeks ago, my family and I went to have dinner at some friends house, (they have 2 kids also, so there is 2 almost 2 year olds, and 2 4 year olds) Anyways, the kids go out to play in the sand box. Since it is in the 90's the sand is sticking to all the kiddo's, so they all get thrown into the tub. So, on Fri, I get a call from my wife telling me that now the sink drain is not draining well, and that the tub is draining much slower.

Go over there today, sink drain is an unrelated problem- TP in the pop up assembly, clear that, run water, A-OK.

Now to the Tub. Tub is draining, significantly slower than it should and there is sand in the tub, and i ask my wife if she knew weather that was from a drain backup or what? She replied, no she just bathed the kids before they left and she didn't want to flush more sand down the drain.

My question to you all, should I even go after this partial blockage with my top snake, or should I try and plunge it, or do I find someone with a jetter?

I would say that the p-trap is about 30-40% clogged judging by the speed of the water draining.

Some info on the house.
    about 5 years old, post tension slab, ABS plastic drains.

Another thought I just had, maybe I could hook up a shop vac at the overflow and plug off the shoe and suck out some of the sand.

Thanks for any input.
    I'll be atacking this sometime tomorrow.

Greg
    I've had pretty good luck with a wet and dry vacuum. You may want to adapt the end with a smaller vinyl hose and go through the overflow into the trap. If that does not work run a cable with a whole bunch of water behind it and flush it the best you can.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

take a wet vac and mcgiver a section of garden hose to the vac line. get it as far down the trap as you can. this will get a lot out. plunging has never worked for me.

if you can get a blow bag in the line you may be able to move most of it. be careful as it can be real messy, as i'm sure you know

sand in drains is a majot PITA here and a challenge. "Oh, i can't wash my snorlel/scuba gear off in the tub/shower?"

no, that's why there is an outside shower or garden hose....IDIOT!!

good luck. sand sucks in the wrong places

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

How To Clean a Tub Drain

Try to clean small drain traps and inside furnaces by taping a smaller hose to the larger vacuum hose. Try putting the smaller hose inside the overflow and not she shoe. This sounds like a job for a 1/4 inch cable with a 3/4 inch spring head.

Try some Tannerite. Every plumber should have this on his truck. Go to tannerite.com. Get the kids out of the house before using Tannerite.

Leonard

Comment

Re: How To Clean a Tub Drain

Originally posted by bestline3 View Post
          Try to clean small drain traps and inside furnaces by taping a smaller hose to the larger vacuum hose. Try putting the smaller hose inside the overflow and not she shoe. This sounds like a job for a 1/4 inch cable with a 3/4 inch spring head.

Try some Tannerite. Every plumber should have this on his truck. Go to tannerite.com. Get the kids out of the house before using Tannerite.

Leonard
          Oh Yes Tannerite!!!! How they can make something that allows grown men to have so much fun I'll never know. My eyes are getting misty just thinking about it. I've seen a car at tree top level with the help of Tannerite. Good stuff!!!!!

The best thing was my buddy mixing the stuff with a cigar in his mouth!

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
            The best thing was my buddy mixing the stuff with a cigar in his mouth!
            While sitting on a bidet?
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              While sitting on a bidet?
              It's always good to have water around when working with explosives!!

Comment

Try using a product called a Drain Hero. I saw it at the National Hardware Show. It is an adapter for a wet/dry vac and the demonstration looke great for pulling stuff like sand out.

Comment

You will probably find more hair then sand. use a little hand auger and lots of water.The hair will hold the sand and water back if you don't get it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X