Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: was there a better way to do this

Originally posted by rombo View Post
    It must be really different where you live, if he is able to be an inspector and still run a company. Who comes to inspect his work. I am in a big city and you pick or choose be an inspector or work not both.

I know as you get further north that you will get inspectors that do everything (building, plumbing, hvac, electrical) and even that sounds weird to me
    VERY good observation...my state cracked down on that.

Inspectors don't make huge money...they're allowed to work in towns outside their jurisdiction.

Comment

Not sure what inspectors make here but i am fairly confident that they are pulling in more than they would working for a company

Comment

Plan A-
        I would've moved the sink then placed a garbage bag taped on both side to creat a funnel. Placed the trash can underneath the funnel and open the cap. Opening the cap like that proves that plumbers aren't always drain cleaners. I also would've sold a 2 way cleanout in case this happens again.

Plan B-
        Place the trash can under the trap and drilled a hole in the bottom and let it empty. I would then remove the drum trap and replace it with a 2 way cleanout. This would be my first option but I don't know if that trap is code for the area.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

There is a half dozen other ways to handle this situation

Letting it fly out onto the floor is the LAST option

And then tell the homeowner "the insurance will cover any damages"...WTF?

He might be good with his hands but not very good with his head

Comment

The 2nd plumber I ever worked for when I was a kid was just like em.
            Might even be family...lol

Those guy`s from up north/east have different ways of talking to people.
            I lol every time I see one of his shows and the way he talks....rotflmao
            I`m always clowing and he`d get pissed at me all the time.
            I`d cut a gas pipe and stick my finger in it and just stand there, He`d ask me what are you doing? I`d reply with something like I think I forgot to shut off the gas or I cut a water line and not the gas line. He`d get pissed when he`d come back after checking to see if it was off or not ....rotflmao

Now days he wants to be my buddy and is always trying to get me to work with em.

The master plumber I work for now loves the clowing around and has a good time with it. I give his helper crap all the time Pipe stretchers and all
            Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM.
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I have to agree with everybody here - trap or not, I would have found a way to get the water out safely first! Whether it be a garbage can and a pump or whatever it took - even a septic tank pumper - there's no excuse for opening a full sewer at the lowest level without removing as much water as possible first.

Comment

Either shop vac the water and pull the toilet or cable through the toilet using a guide tube and handgun with 50' of 5/16" (yes I do it all the time). Then once clear, pull the cap down below and run the appropriate scable through the trap. Run water to flush out terds and paper buildup, get paid and leave. Done deal.

With that said, a good drain man will clean the entire line he's working on from end to the other, not just the trap and in this case, install a proper access for future cleanings.

Comment

Wow! I guess you learn something everyday. I've come across a main line being plugged by nothing like that. I guess I'm lucky.

Like others have said, I would of drilled out the top of the clean out and used a vacuum. Even if someone had just a small small shop vac, yet it might take longer, it's much cheaper overall. Then just replace the cap.

Good to go!
                  YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                    Either shop vac the water and pull the toilet or cable through the toilet using a guide tube and handgun with 50' of 5/16" (yes I do it all the time). Then once clear, pull the cap down below and run the appropriate scable through the trap. Run water to flush out terds and paper buildup, get paid and leave. Done deal.

With that said, a good drain man will clean the entire line he's working on from end to the other, not just the trap and in this case, install a proper access for future cleanings.
                    What kind of cable do you use? A 5/16 going into 3 or 4 pipe seems a little dangerous. Ever been stuck?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I remember this guy. They tried to make a show work with him called American Plumber. I think it was on the Learning Channel. Seems like I remember one with him dipping out a grease trap with a lead pourer to get it going. Only made it a couple of episodes though.

Yeah, all of us watching would have controlled the water better but it's easy to judge when not in the trenches. He might have thought better of it when he got home and won't do it again.

Get rid of those dam-n curb traps!

J.C.

Comment

I'm with Duck, I think it was staged for "reality" TV.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          What kind of cable do you use? A 5/16 going into 3 or 4 pipe seems a little dangerous. Ever been stuck?
                          Just regular hollow core or do you mean the brand name?
                          You're right, it is dangerous and not advisable for a novice to try to go beyond say 10 feet. Beyond that, I believe a certain level of skill is needed to not flip the cable over into a knot downstream. Considering the pipe is all exposed and probably no more than 30' or so from the closet flange, I personally wouldn't be too concerned about getting stuck. Regardless, getting stuck and unstuck comes with the territory IMO although I haven't been emphatically stuck in a long time and certainly not with little 5/16 cable. The objective is to only "pop" the line open, then clean it with a larger cable with some blades.

Btw, I don't know why I didn't notice it, and this would be my first choice if conditions exist, that is to simply pull the upstairs lav. trap and cable from there or just top snake it with no less than the aforementioned 5/16". Yeah it's kinda a long way to run through a 4" line but it's better then pulling that nasty cap. There WAS a time when I would find myself messing with dookie water, but that was a long time ago and I really do my utmost to avoid looking and smelling like a terd chaser

As was said already, it's uncomfortably easy to sit here behind my computer and critique other peoples work.

Comment

man I really need to get cable internet cant wait a half hour while this loads.
                            I get the gist of the problem here though reminds me of when I started doing sewer cleaning 15 years ago.
                            Had a house with a septic tank , no outside clean out , 12 12 pitch on the roof, and the ridgid 1500.
                            tried cathing the mess in a trash can but ended up with a mouth full of sewage when I took off the cleanout cap in the basement which was about face level.
                            S**t all over the place gave my brother a good laugh

Comment

Did You see the bath shower leak ,Ed worked on? I couldn't believe He ripped down the ceiling below with no drops. No consideration, for other folks home and property.Interesting HIS HOME is nice and clean ,no clutter. How would Ed handle us making that mess in His Kingdom? I know He's a fun Guy and I like Him a lot. I hung with the Boys from EASTABOSTON. How could I not like Ed
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Obviously better ways to do this. In NY we come across this all the time. Sometimes even hanging sewers with the trap access well above your head / working from a ladder. I usually get garbage pail or buckets ready and a towel. I open the plug till water spews out and drape the towel over the plug it gets wet and holds down the plug as you open itif the pressure is great you can pull down on the ends of the towel . This in turn keeps most of the solids inside pipe / trap area and only allows waste water out. Takes a little longer but you'll have a repeat customer.

In NY all homes/buildings have house traps usually there is two cleanout plugs on the trap one allows access to main line out to the street the other back into the house/building. So there's usually no need to cut in cleanouts unless it's a hanging sewer that i mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                                X