Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was there a better way to do this

this video appeared in the forum some time ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23idqKbyrf0

regarding the drain cleaning portion of the video, was there a better ways to clear this drain which would have contained the mess? just looking to expand my understanding of what drain cleaners go through.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: was there a better way to do this

Oh yeah:
    #1 see if there is a cleanout outside and if there is snake from there
    #2 Be like Rick and snake it from the roof vent
    #3 Shop vac the water from the W/C, pull the W/C and snake from there

I would never ever ever do it like this... TOO MUCH LIABILITY for example 6 months from now these people get sick... they tie it to mold growing int he basement..... which gets tied to this plumber there ya go 35 years of business down the drain... excuse the pun

Comment

i think the trap was the issue. i doubt that you can get past the trap.

since he had a 6' closet auger, we know it was a local stoppage.

a trash can under the trap would have caught 95% of the waste.

was the laundry tray on a backwater valve?

an outside clean out would be ideal.

some of the east coast guys come across this on a regular basis.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I didnt see a house trap i kind of assumed that there was none if there was one he could have snaked through the fresh air vent too

Comment

There may well be other accesses. Even if that plug was the only access, there are other ways.... crack the plug (or drill it) so there is just a slow stream and catch it with a shop vac, trash can, etc. Also, if you are going to let fly, at least MOVE THE CUSTOMERS BELONGINGS OUT OF HARM'S WAY. I'd have given this customer his choice... I can control this and keep it to no mess, but it will take time and cost more, or I can open it up and catch most of it in a trash can, and there will be some mess, or I can just let fly. The key word here was 'insurance'. Because 'your insurance will cover this' the guy is lazy and in a hurry and sprays sewage everywhere. An hour extra with a shop vac and there wouldn't have been more that a few drops on that floor, and another... what... $500? in getting the cleaning crew over would have been avoided.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I drill a hole in the cap and use my finger to control the flow. If the CO is high enough I just let it flow into a trash can, if not, I use a shop Vac. When the Vac gets full I dump it into the trash can. Easier to do with a partner but if I don't have one I just drill my hole slightly smaller then a pencil and use a pencil to stop the flow. When the hole clogs up I use a piece of wire.

8 times out of 10 a 35gal can will be enough but a good idea to have two just in-case.

I was thinking of getting one of those pumps for the vac so I can just pump into the trash can without having to stop. also when the line is clear I could just reverse the vac hose and pump to empty the can (one less trip to the van for a pump).
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              I was thinking of getting one of those pumps for the vac so I can just pump into the trash can without having to stop. also when the line is clear I could just reverse the vac hose and pump to empty the can (one less trip to the van for a pump).
              Good idea Gene!

Comment

Nope
                there is no better way

I use job`s like this to make money doing an outside C/O install.
                IF you don't want an outside C/O you will have this kind of mess
                I don't have time to worry about plumbing not installed with service availability if you don't want it corrected

drill a hole in the cap and use my finger to control the flow
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

gene, i have one of the ridgid vacs with the external pump. works great for clean water. there is a built in screen that will plug if exposed to toilet paper. i guess you can try make a larger wire mesh screen to protect the smaller 3/4'' x 3'' long bullet screen.

is this the norm, that if the stoppage is downstream of the trap, you have to open the trap lid? isn't there a c/o somewhere that will make it clean and simple?

i would cut in a wye and pipe it outside for future.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

so i guess the answer to my question is, yes, there was a better way. in fact, based on the repsonses, there might have been several alternatives. which leaves civilians like me wondering why he didn't do the best he could to do the best job possible.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

because 35 years experience, all the proper licensing the insurance, the proper tools and nice trucks doesnt mean your are the worlds best plumber or drain cleaner. I am not going to knock the guy but I am going to say that he approached THIS job wrong

Comment

Missed this thread, this guy is Ed Cirigliano...inspector for the town or Reading MA.
                        I've done permits under him.
                        He may have done a better job containing the waste, yes...but I'd like to say this...
                        He is the ONLY inspector I know of that will show up for an inspection at 5pm on a friday afternoon...filthy from a job he's in the middle of two towns away, the guy has massive work ethic and he's kind enough to understand how hard our trade can be.

I honestly think the scene in that video was staged for humorous purposes...Ed has been a plumber since the horse n buggy days.

I'm almost tempted to call him and invite him here.

Comment

I would have pulled the toilet upstairs no mess. He was using a toilet auger to clear the plug, makes me wonder if he even had a large enough snake to do that. What if that had been a finnished basment would he have done the same thing?

Comment

That's a TRAP and there is no better way to clear it. IF you pulled the toilet upstairs you would have had that mess up there. He used the auger because he didn't need much cable to clear the trap. Could he have done it with less mess, I`m sure he could have tried harder but you are gonna have a mess no matter what you do.
                            the best way is to clear the clog then replumb the trap.
                            Drilling a hole will do nothing as the paper and turds will clog the hole.
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                              Missed this thread, this guy is Ed Cirigliano...inspector for the town or Reading MA.
                              I've done permits under him.
                              He may have done a better job containing the waste, yes...but I'd like to say this...
                              He is the ONLY inspector I know of that will show up for an inspection at 5pm on a friday afternoon...filthy from a job he's in the middle of two towns away, the guy has massive work ethic and he's kind enough to understand how hard our trade can be.

I honestly think the scene in that video was staged for humorous purposes...Ed has been a plumber since the horse n buggy days.

I'm almost tempted to call him and invite him here.

It must be really different where you live, if he is able to be an inspector and still run a company. Who comes to inspect his work. I am in a big city and you pick or choose be an inspector or work not both.

I know as you get further north that you will get inspectors that do everything (building, plumbing, hvac, electrical) and even that sounds weird to me

Comment

Working...
                              X