X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i stay or should i go?

today i had a call from another plumbing co if i can cover them on a 12 unit townhouse stoppage. sure, why not. it's 20 minutes away

i call the hoa president and tell her i will be there in 45 minutes as i still need to finish my other call. get there at 2:15 and walk with her to see the issue. find 2- 4'' clean outs and one is full the other is ok.

sure enough another plumber pulls up. he was called 7 hours earlier by the resident of the unit that was getting wet.

i figured i'll do the main and let him check the unit as the toilet seal was either leaking or the shower overflowed. not sure as i didn't go in.

sure enough i pull out my k-60 and 90' of 7/8'' cable.

the other plumber mentioned he had a "gorlitz" drum machine in his van if i needed help

he asked "should i stay, or should i go"

i figured i'll be nice and have him stay considering he never saw a sectional machine.

well as fast as i could spin out 23' of cable with 3.5'' root saw, i was cleared. he was super impressed and starting asking about cost and pipe sizes. like i know the answers

anyways i pull back baby wipes. go at it again to 82' to the downstream c/o and continue to 105' to the alley connection.

so not only did i make a good first impression with the hoa pres. and the homeowner. i also impressed the other plumbing co and got a $20 tip from the homeowner. i tried to give it back, but it wasn't going to happen.

so, if greg from the other co, comes here i owe you $10

you'll be on your way to a k-60 in no time

greg was a good sport and never billed the owner.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Should i stay or should i go?

Twenty years ago I received a Sunday call from a mobile home park which had an entire park stoppage. The other plumbing company had been there all day and still could not clear the stoppage. As there was a foot deep of sewage around the cleanout I wasn't sure what I was going to find. As he winched his main line machine back on to his truck I pulled up and unloaded my K-1500. While he was setting up a Monday morning call to come out with a backhoe to dig the sewer up I heard him tell the manager I would never clear the stoppage with my piece of sh*t machine. I had the stoppage cleared and my machine back on the truck within about 20-minutes and ended up presenting my invoice to the manager right after the other company presented his. The advantage I had over the other plumber is I had enough machines on the truck to pick and choose my weapon.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Twenty years ago I received a Sunday call from a mobile home park which had an entire park stoppage. The other plumbing company had been there all day and still could not clear the stoppage. As there was a foot deep of sewage around the cleanout I wasn't sure what I was going to find. As he winched his main line machine back on to his truck I pulled up and unloaded my K-1500. While he was setting up a Monday morning call to come out with a backhoe to dig the sewer up I heard him tell the manager I would never clear the stoppage with my piece of sh*t machine. I had the stoppage cleared and my machine back on the truck within about 20-minutes and ended up presenting my invoice to the manager right after the other company presented his. The advantage I had over the other plumber is I had enough machines on the truck to pick and choose my weapon.

Mark
      So are you saying 20 years ago you'd have kicked cracks in the board blaster contest?
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        So are you saying 20 years ago you'd have kicked cracks in the board blaster contest?
        no, crack did it in 7.## seconds.

mark took 20 minutes

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

mark took 20 minutes

rick.
          Yeah but it was probably farther out I doubt Mark took 20 minutes to go a few feet in front of his face
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

mark took 20 minutes

rick.
            Not to take anything away from crack but sometimes being the quickest does not make you the best. It really has more to do with getting the job done then how fast you finish.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Not to take anything away from crack but sometimes being the quickest does not make you the best. It really has more to do with getting the job done then how fast you finish.

Mark
              crack, give your trophy to mark, he has a point

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I don't know from trophys , but it is hard to imagine, ANYONE on this board has the experiance, and can do, that Rick has in drain cleaning. Of course this is everyday real world
                blockages. Not a Daisey Rifle, Ballon Pop contest
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

thanks tool

drain cleaning for the most part is pretty basic. it's when it gets tricky that a good working knowledge of the plumbing system is a big bonus.

if adam/ dirtyhands ever wants to get his hands real dirty he would make a great drain cleaner as he has an excellent working knowledge of plumbing installations.

i got my first electric machine at age 13. i still have it (milwaukee) but have not used it for over 20 years.

anyone wanting to get into the basics of drain cleaning can for under $2000.

a k-39af and a k-60 with both 5/8 and 7/8'' cable will do 90-95% of my everyday work. sure a jetter and a larger machine is nice, but 90-95% is done with this.

adam, are you listening

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Performing the art of plumbing sure helps,with drain cleaning. You can visualize What's under ground, and site.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

way to go rick it is nice you did not rub it in the other plumbers face your the best i mean it it is nice to help out other plumbers that you dont know .there may have bin some thing he could have shown you na

i like it when you can call others to get there help in the trades with out thinking they will take away work from you . some one asked for your help and you stepped right up to help now they will do the same for you some day if needed . it also made them look good that you got the job done like a preferential

hats of to you rick
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        I don't know from trophys , but it is hard to imagine, ANYONE on this board has the experiance, and can do, that Rick has in drain cleaning. Of course this is everyday real world
                        blockages. Not a Daisey Rifle, Ballon Pop contest
                        I wonder if Rick has a plastic closed fist so he can pound knuckles with something when Joey's not around. First I tell Rick he was right about the k40 and you come with the helium(above comment) and blow his head up even more. Poor Joey.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Im with you Ben....... Rick's ego is probably bigger than his tool collection!! I really dont think he need any help from toolaholic to provide any additional "helium" Poor Joey!

Comment

I'm gonna nickname him "BigPillow".

J.C.

P.S. That could also be his rapping name. "DJ BigPillow & the K-60 Posse".

Comment

Ya know you guys are right, rick sucks

Comment

Working...
                              X