X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curb traps

As I read the Forum and see a lot of references to curb traps. Are these curb traps also the street side clean outs I also read about? Where I am from there are no curb traps or street side clean outs other than the ones put in buy the foundation on some slab homes or on the newer homes about 10 feet away from the foundation that the landscapers cut down about a foot underground and buried never be seen again. Most of the sewers in our neck of the woods are at a depth of 6 to 16 feet below grade, I read a lot about how guys you will snake the drain back to the house from the street, Is this done from the curb trap? or is it done from a sanitary tee by the road? Is it code in most other states to have these curb traps or clean outs by the street or is it per each municipality to enforce the use of them? I was just curious because it does seem that it would be much easier to clean from the outside of the home rather than carrying everything down into a basement to snake a sewer.
    ________
    Cheap easy vape vaporizer
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM.
    Mike

Re: Curb traps

Not sure what the curb traps are as I dont see them here. My understanding from the Aussies among us is that they have something called a boundary trap which I understand to be a trap in the main line at the edge of the property. I understand from others that there are commonly traps on the main line for a building in other parts of the USA, but I don't see them here, and honestly wonder what the point of one would be. If someone can enlighten me, please do.

As to snaking or jetting up towards the house, yes, I do this often and it is my preferred technique, especially if I can get into the system with the jetter from below the clog so my water doesn't back up.

If it is on a septic system or a lift station, I want access to the tank or the pump pit so I can verify nothing wrong there, and so I can jet up from there to the building.

If on a sewer, I am using an exterior cleanout if I have one. They are required on new construction in this area, usually 2-5 feet from the building footer. Often older buildings don't have one, or it's been buried or snowplowed off. In that case, it's back to the pulled toilet or whatever inside the building.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Mike, to snake or jet back towards the house you need to install a 2way cleanout or 2 opposing wye 1/8 bend combos which would be preferable in deeper lines. Curb traps are outdated technology. We have city cleanouts out here but they're wye 1/8 bend combos. I have pulled c/o covers to see a manufactured double cleanout but this style has a dead spot that can't be cleaned unless you run the cable from the house to the street.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

anytime you're snaking or jetting back upstream, yo better know the system or you might just end up buying a lot of repairs.

i usually would have camered and documented the safe reverse distance before i get in trouble with a wye or dead end.

the city goes manhole to manhole. very simple as it's a straight shot and no tees. ours is a lot more involved than a straight run.

i prefer the "texas twin" as it's an opposing short take off double riser comby with no dead spot

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

95% of the work in do involve curbtraps. I love working with them. No mess, pull the truck right up to the curb, takes about 2 secs to get back on the trap and bam. Best part is seeing the sewage coming out of the trap. A 2 min job
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

San Francisco is one of the cities, that has Whole House Traps [ that's what they call whole house traps here ]. I think Killer toilet will tell You Chicago has them also. All Iremember is sand from the grassless strip running into the low riser as wee built Versa loc retaining walls on 9 th ave. That whole Hood is old sand dunes. Square holed cap was missing ! Think the riser was 3" C.I.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              San Francisco is one of the cities, that has Whole House Traps [ that's what they call whole house traps here ]. I think Killer toilet will tell You Chicago has them also. All Iremember is sand from the grassless strip running into the low riser as wee built Versa loc retaining walls on 9 th ave. That whole Hood is old sand dunes. Square holed cap was missing ! Think the riser was 3" C.I.

the only traps we have in chicago is at the fixture.
              no house trap no running on the main out to the street.
              sometimes i've see traps at the base of downspouts
              i always thought building traps were a east coast thing

Comment

"...i always thought building traps were a east coast thing..."

Yup, common around these parts years ago, no longer used in most places I have worked in NJ. A couple houses back I owned a big (4700 sq. ft.) old place built in 1905 which had a house trap. It was in the basement floor just before the main exited the building. This place also had all the downspouts draining into the house sewer (which was legal in 1905) and grandfathered so I never changed it and never had a problem. All that rain water sure kept the lines clean.

This place was also piped for gas lighting when it was built so it had 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 brass run all through the house fed by a 1-1/2" main from the street. The old city gas light company ran very low pressure hence the large pipe diameter. It was all still active when I bought the place in the 80s!
                Last edited by Bob D.; 07-25-2008, 10:57 PM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Tanks, Where You at, what do I know!
                  Bob in SF all down spouts[down leaders WILL BE connected to the city sewer.Dump on the ground You end up in Jail. Don't blame me I'm from Mass.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Tanks, Where You at, what do I know!
                    Bob in SF all down spouts[down leaders WILL BE connected to the city sewer.Dump on the ground You end up in Jail. Don't blame me I'm from Mass.

im not blaming no one all states are defend in the city all rain leaders go in to the city sewer.
                    out side the city most villages dump it on the ground. sorry for the spelling or the wording im drunk out of my mind

RICH aka where am I

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                      As I read the Forum and see a lot of references to curb traps. Are these curb traps also the street side clean outs I also read about? Where I am from there are no curb traps or street side clean outs other than the ones put in buy the foundation on some slab homes or on the newer homes about 10 feet away from the foundation that the landscapers cut down about a foot underground and buried never be seen again. Most of the sewers in our neck of the woods are at a depth of 6 to 16 feet below grade, I read a lot about how guys you will snake the drain back to the house from the street, Is this done from the curb trap? or is it done from a sanitary tee by the road? Is it code in most other states to have these curb traps or clean outs by the street or is it per each municipality to enforce the use of them? I was just curious because it does seem that it would be much easier to clean from the outside of the home rather than carrying everything down into a basement to snake a sewer.
                      What about showing a photo of your curb trap.

Tony

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

What was the reasoning for curb traps? Each fixture has one? Isn't that a form of double trapping? Just another Dumb Carpenter Question

Comment

the belief of the day was that sewer gas was the cause for typhoid, scarlet fever, dysentery, and the like. That scenario, to me, is not an example of double trapping

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                              When I tried to explain a boundary trap you all throught that I was from another planet but looking at your diagram you have them there as well and on reading your threads I get the impression that every state has its on plumbing code instead of one which we now have in Australia which must make it impossible to operate in every state.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X