Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: jetting a septic system

I completely UNDERSTAND NOW!!!!!!!

Why has the house always had issues? Shouldn't something be changed in the design? Yes, a pump line can remain full all the time with the check valve. But I've went to repairs where there was no problem in the pump line (20+years old) so I'm curious as to why your folks' system has always had issues.

Wrench, last I checked White Knight and another company were seeking approval in N.C. so they might not have a system in the area.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      I can keep going but there is just too much to type. DO NOT jet or snake your septic fields the only thing that you can possibly do is damage something. And dont waste your time cameraing it any way. Just check to make sure that the tank isnt backing up if it is then you will have to repalce your existing system.
      Aside from trying to pay for their jetter, is there any good reason the septic pumping companies want to sell you jetting of the lines and drainfield?

Comment

They bought the house fifteen years ago from sheriff auction--home sat empty for 3 years ---when we moved in--it was a nightmare--took 3 years to get it to work properly-- im no septic genius, but i was told once that the worst thing for a septic is to let it sit with no use--right or wrong????the aerator was missing and we were new to septic, so that made a huge difference-- the reason i cant peplace any piping is it is a split level and most of the backups happen in the area under cement--yes it sucks--but i jetted inside today and everything was working great--:d:d:d

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          Aside from trying to pay for their jetter, is there any good reason the septic pumping companies want to sell you jetting of the lines and drainfield?
          CPW, that's why I'm asking also. My families business has been installing, repairing, and servicing every type of septic system drawn for over 30 years. We haven't seen a purpose for jetting but plumberjr might have a situation where it might apply & I'm trying to figure out if that's the case.

J.C.

Comment

Good point cpw---the pumper guys around here do try that salespitch now that i think of it---what do you think,wrench?????

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
              They bought the house fifteen years ago from sheriff auction--home sat empty for 3 years ---when we moved in--it was a nightmare--took 3 years to get it to work properly-- im no septic genius, but i was told once that the worst thing for a septic is to let it sit with no use--right or wrong????the aerator was missing and we were new to septic, so that made a huge difference-- the reason i cant peplace any piping is it is a split level and most of the backups happen in the area under cement--yes it sucks--but i jetted inside today and everything was working great--:d:d:d
              No matter what, getting a bunch of gunk out of the lines is always good to do. I'll have to check if letting a system "sit" is that bad for it. It kind of sounds like some DWV is level somewhere to me.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for the info Wrench Spinner

It sounds like a leach field has a useful life span if I am reading correctly though there are a few remediation products that may help... I bet a White Knight aerobic unit would be great on a new installation though aerobic digestion may cause some "stink" problems from the system...

Sometimes I read what I want into posts or a post raises a question, did not mean to go off track Plumberjr

Comment

Bill, from what I've read, these aerobic system are often brought in for system failure.

Yes, lateral lines (leech field) can have a service life. But that can be 50+years based on alot of factors.

Was the tank pumped regularly?
                  How many people lived there?
                  How much line was put in?
                  How large was the original tank?
                  Is the T-Pipe still present?
                  Original soil condition?
                  Depth of lines?
                  Etc. etc. etc.

You get the point. It's a concern, but not necessarily a dealbreaker depending on the situation.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X