X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok time for change

Yeah so I'm thinking I've just about had it with the drum machine. It's been a great ride for 11 years but...yeah...it's time for change. Something new, something different, something just as effective or more. If this sectional is everything you guys say it is then I'm game. I've had my hands on the electric eel sectional and watched a local cleaner burrow thru a stoppage with the general hot rodder but I'm still a bit anxious about set up and break down time. I know everybody moves differently but how efficient is the sectional compared to the drum? Are the cable ends like an extendable toilet auger with the push button that snaps in, or are there tools you have to use, or is it something totally different? What is the general life span for the sections of cable to be effective, 1 year, 2 years, 9 months(and I'm sure it's probably like the straight cable on a drum machine, it depends alot on the user)? What about a learning curve, is it more difficult to judge what the cable is doing, do the cables bind and flip easy? Will the machine push out 125'-175' of cable and still get results? What, if any, are the drawbacks of sectionals compared to the drum machines and on the same note what's better about sectionals? Any information you can give me or previous threads you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Ok time for change

not to repeat myself for the 100th. time

do a search for the "k-60", "the impressionator".

basically the cable is more flexible being an open wind. the cable is also a better cleaner as it spins faster and act as a continuous auger.

the rpm's are 3 times faster (600) and the clutch prevents no over-spin. you can actually throttle the cable and not get it to over-spin like a drum machine.

the weight of the machine is much lighter as the cable is separate from the machine.

personally, i feel that the k-60 is the best all around machine out there. and i'm not the only one that thinks or knows this

read the post and ask the questions.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I wouldn't get the electric eel. Stick with a k60. The electric eel is only good outside and in 3+" pipe. Not very versitale but it's got power. The k60 can do 1 1/4 - 6" pipe with roots out to 158 ft(longest I've ever gone out).
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

To add to Rick'se post...the K-60 and K-1500 and other RIDGID sectionals have a WIDE variety of different cutting heads. I have about 7 different heads for the 7/8" sewer cable right now, and I am thinking to expand my collection and get some more speciality cleaning heads. The variety available is staggering.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Out of curosity, doing something for 11 years, why the change?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far.
            I'm coming to a point where I need to get a new machine for myself and the drum machine I'm using right now is more trouble then it's worth. So I figured instead of buying another drum machine I would try a sectional and just fix the drum machine I got for if I ever need it again. But ever since I saw those two I've been interested. I'm almost scared to ask how much they cost or how much the sections are, but a new drum machine isn't that cheap either. Oh well it's justified if it makes me more dough than it costs.

Comment

Speaking of flexibility, I found out quickly that the cable will leap right out of the wire cage if you aren't careful. It clicks together quickly with no tools (K-60), but requires a tool to separate the cables - a pin that pushes the button and allows the cables to slide apart.

It's not like the auger cable - the pin sticks straight out from the male end of the cable and is hidden in use.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Out of curosity, doing something for 11 years, why the change?
                Rick used drums for over 25 years before he changed. Utah got him to change. Rick wanted to see what he kept going on and on about and bought one. That was the beginning of the end

Draintech the sectional is roughly $1,500. Or at least that is what I am told to put Rick's up on ebay for if something happens to him.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                  Speaking of flexibility, I found out quickly that the cable will leap right out of the wire cage if you aren't careful. It clicks together quickly with no tools (K-60), but requires a tool to separate the cables - a pin that pushes the button and allows the cables to slide apart.

It's not like the auger cable - the pin sticks straight out from the male end of the cable and is hidden in use.
                  i find that if i connect the cables together, i can easily get 90' into the cage. if i don't snap them together, stick with the 5 x 15'=75' in the cage.

i now use a ground down phillips screwdriver for my pin key. a lot more user friendly and less chance of loosing it.

also a good idea to oil the pins and springs on a regular basis. a rusty spring or pin is useless.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    Rick used drums for over 25 years before he changed. Utah got him to change. Rick wanted to see what he kept going on and on about and bought one. That was the beginning of the end

Draintech the sectional is roughly $1,500. Or at least that is what I am told to put Rick's up on ebay for if something happens to him.
                    my very first k-60 i bought on ebay. it was a rental machine and looked in clean shape. had 75' of cable and the rear guide hose.

i think i paid about $800 with shipping. i still use this machine daily and have only had to change the 2 main shaft bearings once. not bad for a rental machine and all the use i put it through. not even a set of jaws or a belt has worn out. the maintenance is nothing more than a little soap and a little oil and grease. the cable are still the original ones and the cutters are about the only wear item. i sharpen as needed and replace when broken. i even have a couple customs that i brought to ridgid for their input.

when i stop posting, start looking at ebay for a massive run of plumbing tools. joey will be well funded

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by draintech1 View Post
                      Yeah so I'm thinking I've just about had it with the drum machine. It's been a great ride for 11 years but...yeah...it's time for change. Something new, something different, something just as effective or more. If this sectional is everything you guys say it is then I'm game. I've had my hands on the electric eel sectional and watched a local cleaner burrow thru a stoppage with the general hot rodder but I'm still a bit anxious about set up and break down time. I know everybody moves differently but how efficient is the sectional compared to the drum? Are the cable ends like an extendable toilet auger with the push button that snaps in, or are there tools you have to use, or is it something totally different? What is the general life span for the sections of cable to be effective, 1 year, 2 years, 9 months(and I'm sure it's probably like the straight cable on a drum machine, it depends alot on the user)? What about a learning curve, is it more difficult to judge what the cable is doing, do the cables bind and flip easy? Will the machine push out 125'-175' of cable and still get results? What, if any, are the drawbacks of sectionals compared to the drum machines and on the same note what's better about sectionals? Any information you can give me or previous threads you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
                      To be totally effective you need an arsenal which includes both drum machines and sectional machines. I find a drum machine to be much faster but a sectional to be much more thorough. However, both machines still have their merits and you need to carry both.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                        Does that include a premium for being the famous sectional prophet of the RIDGID forum?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Does that include a premium for being the famous sectional prophet of the RIDGID forum?
                          You're right. This is a business opportunity. I should have Rick sign things now so if something happens to him I can sell his stuff for more

I did that with my brother. He wrote the first textbook for Emergency Medicine and it is used in medical schools all over the country now. So, I had him sign a copy of his book in case something happens to him. That way I will have the only signed copy and it will go for more on ebay
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            To be totally effective you need an arsenal which includes both drum machines and sectional machines. I find a drum machine to be much faster but a sectional to be much more thorough. However, both machines still have their merits and you need to carry both.

Mark
                            you're correct mark

get a k-39af (5/16'' x 35' drum)to go along with your k-60 and you'll be set

or a drum adapter for the k-60. plus also get the 5/8'' cable to give you the 1.5'' and 2'' traps ability.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I've spent around 2k but this is for the k60, 150 cable, 90 ft innercore cable, 90' 5/8 cable plus extra augers for both. This setup will handle pretty much anything.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X