what's that little machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's that little machine

i have a few customers that i dread going to when they call about a main line stoppage.

why? because i have a running documented track record of these lines.

this particular one is a hand off from my buddy steve 8 years ago. thanks steve.

it's one that every 9-13 months he calls me with a main line stoppage.
    4'' line with a nasty root stoppage @ 4'' x 6'' @ 76' in.

well the k-7500 would always clear it, but get stuck. always had to fight it to get through it and back out.

last october i tried the k-1500 on it. had a hell of a fight to get it back.

today i go there with the k-60

the owner says "what's that little machine"?

i explain it's my impressionator

well, guess what. today was the fastest i ever got it cleared and back out. 55 minutes from out of the truck to in the truck

you might think slow, but you don't know this line. my 8 year track record is usually 1.5- 2.25 hours on this line.

so under an hour start to finish was amazing.

this is a line that i actually told the customer a few years back, that i would no longer do the line without a video to see why i get stuck. so he had me video the line.

the mess is under the sidewalk at the 4'' x 6'' connection/ wye. over 6' deep. off limits to plumbing contractors. and he doesn't want to spend his school teacher money on a real fix

and i even got a smile and a tear from myself today

so say hello to my little friend

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: what's that little machine

Wow all over a drain?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thats' a great story Rick,If I was in the drain Buss. I'd have one in a heart beat. Remember
      Gilligans' Island. A good name for Your friend. ' LITTLE BUDDY "
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I can't believe this line hasn't been repaired. How much $$$$ do You guess He's spent on clearing so far?? I have a 16,000 B.HOE. See Ya Sat. ????
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Mark, your roundup video gets more relevant all the time.

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Wow all over a drain?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            I can't believe this line hasn't been repaired. How much $$$$ do You guess He's spent on clearing so far?? I have a 16,000 B.HOE. See Ya Sat. ????
            I couldn't agree more...its ridiculous that it hasn't been repaired yet.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Can You define "off limits to a plumbing Contr. ? "

Sounds like a Marine Bar to Sailors !!

Comment

I understand how you feel about the k-60 Rick, feel the same way about our Cat 304CR never met a drain we couldnt clear with that thing!!

Comment

I had a call from a customer to get a second opinion on a main line sewer replacement. Within and hour I pulled out lot's of roots and inspected the line and all was good. Except for the root intrusion the pipe was mechanically sound. The other company wanted 10k to replace the line. I talked to the customer, who was about 50, and showed her if I came out twice a year, it would be almost 30 years before she spent 10k on me. She now has me come out 3 times a year(her choice). No need to kill a fly with a hammer.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    $120 yesterday is much cheaper than the few thousand just for the sidewalk location. no to mention the 49' mark under his driveway or the unkown in the street.

as a plumbing contractor, we aren't allowed past the property line.

you either have to be a bonded sewer contractor or have an "a" engineering license to work in the public right of way.

remember he's a school teacher. i'm sure he can afford it since the house is worth close to 1 mil.
                    but at $120 every year or so, he didn't flunk math
                    he is smarter than a 5th. grader

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Yaa Another POOOOOR Skool Teacher, in A Mil. House. Funny how well they all do. And
                      LIKE THE BIRD SAYS " CHEAP CHEAP" You sure give low prices for Your good work.
                      Much cheaper than Marin Co.

Comment

Yeah, but he probably bought that house for waaaaay less
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          I had a call from a customer to get a second opinion on a main line sewer replacement. Within and hour I pulled out lot's of roots and inspected the line and all was good. Except for the root intrusion the pipe was mechanically sound. The other company wanted 10k to replace the line. I talked to the customer, who was about 50, and showed her if I came out twice a year, it would be almost 30 years before she spent 10k on me. She now has me come out 3 times a year(her choice). No need to kill a fly with a hammer.
                          Bingo.

Rick, way to go. It's situations like this that separate the wheat from the chaff. Every 9-13 months isn't all that bad. In fact, I consider 12-16 months the norm between cleanings. An "annual" whole house drain cleaning is what I advocate anyway.

I have a bunch of jobs like this. One guy has a problem under the driveway and with NO other option but to destroy his concrete, every 12 months ain't worth it and I don't blame him. Much less costly to cable it than dig it up. That's why it's called drain cleaning.
                          I'm not saying a proper access shouldn't be installed, but the cost of replacing or repairing just doesn't make financial sense to a lot of people.

Comment

Working...
                          X