Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retiring the K-38, What to replace it with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retiring the K-38, What to replace it with?

We are planning on retiring the old K-38 as the slide chuck is a real pain in the *ss and is so worn out that it does not grip the cable anymore. My question is would you replaced it with the K-39af or would you buy a A-17 bulb adapter and use it with the K-60? I only ask about the A-17 with the K-60 as I remember reading that plumberscrack said it works on the K-60 and I figure it would be one less machine to haul around.
    ________
    MONTANA DISPENSARIES
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM.
    Mike

Re: Retiring the K-38, What to replace it with?

Mike,

I have used the A-17 adapter with the K-60 about 10 times now. Worked great every time. I'm sure that at some point I'll get into a situation where only a top snake will work but haven't yet.

My advice is get a stiff 5/16" cable. I haven't found one yet but still looking. The Ridgid one is a little too flexy for the speed of the K-60. Gently pump the handle to feed the cable and you should be ok.

It's really nice having only one machine on my truck that can do tub stoppages all the way up to big root stoppages

Comment

Ridgid 5/16 speedbump cable or check out spartan's sparshine cable. I would get the k39af f0r 3 reasons, light, about 175, has long power cord. My power cord stays wrapped up on my 60 so I have to run an extention cord every time. The 60 with drum adapter probably weighs close to 55-60 lbs.
      Last edited by gear junkie; 07-31-2008, 10:28 PM.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Bill and Ben, Maybe Having both will work out best!! Plus a person can never have enough tools
        ________
        Cheap easy vape vaporizer
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
          Plus a person can never have enough tools
          I bet you weren't saying things like this before you were on a team with my hubby
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

mike, i too have a hand full of older k-38's.

buy the chuck adapter kit for it and remove the 2 slide chuck fingers.

now you will have a machine that will grip a cable 100% and be able to feed out 24' 9'' on a 25' cable

also with the proper adjustment of the chuck, you can actually hand feed it and not touch the chuck until it's time to bear down.

this is the machine i use when i have a hard trap or a stuck cable, or a cable i need to feed all the way out.

don't feel bad about those cable grippers on the slide chuck. i gave up on those after the first week.

nothing wrong with the k-39pf, but you have a good machine that just needs $50 worth of upgrades.

rumor has it that the cable grippers will be eliminated on the k-39pf and the front length will be shortened a little. no need for grippers with the pf model. it's not what you know, it's who you know

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I can feed out 30' of my 35' cable. The only thing that's stopping me is the speedbump. If 5' makes that big a difference, I'll bring out the k50.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                mike, i too have a hand full of older k-38's.

buy the chuck adapter kit for it and remove the 2 slide chuck fingers.

now you will have a machine that will grip a cable 100% and be able to feed out 24' 9'' on a 25' cable

also with the proper adjustment of the chuck, you can actually hand feed it and not touch the chuck until it's time to bear down.

this is the machine i use when i have a hard trap or a stuck cable, or a cable i need to feed all the way out.

don't feel bad about those cable grippers on the slide chuck. i gave up on those after the first week.

nothing wrong with the k-39pf, but you have a good machine that just needs $50 worth of upgrades.

rumor has it that the cable grippers will be eliminated on the k-39pf and the front length will be shortened a little. no need for grippers with the pf model. it's not what you know, it's who you know

rick.
                Thanks for the information rick, Would you happen to have the part # for the adapter kit or be able to direct me as to where I could find it? I cant seem to be able to find the kit anywhere! Thanks
                ________
                Lansing Metal Center
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                  Thanks for the information rick, Would you happen to have the part # for the adapter kit or be able to direct me as to where I could find it? I cant seem to be able to find the kit anywhere! Thanks
                  Rick left for a job, but I think the the part # is 55242. It is really for a k-39-should work though
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

thanks Joey
                    ________
                    CHEVROLET CORVETTE C6 SPECIFICATIONS
                    Mike

Comment

Can someone remind me why we don't like the Ridgid Auto-Spin? I've seem to have forgotten

It seems like a near perfect design for a top snake

Comment

I hate those hand-helds.... twist your wrist off, and only one hand on the cable. I prefer this; http://www.gorlitz.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=5

I use it for tubs and showers, set it in the tub on a towel, or beside it on the toilet on a towel.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

How about because the first time you retrieve the cable it blows the rollers right out of the machine?

Comment

Working...
                          X