Shampoo, body lotions and slow drains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shampoo, body lotions and slow drains

Do some of the more exotic shampoos or body lotions cause slow drains or more repeated stoppages? I had a slow shower drain at a rental. I rodded it out to the drump trap and everything worked great only to reappear a couple months later. A friend of mine said he saw that when he rented to a couple younger ladies that probably use similar products also. Both times I rodded, I did not pull anything back on my cable like I usually do on other shower drain clogs I have done. Thanks!

Re: Shampoo, body lotions and slow drains

Yes
    lotions & hair Conditioners will cause problems as they tend to build up on the side walls of the pipe to the point that they close off.
    I would remove the drum trap if it was me
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

i have some customers that get a very hard white crusty build up above the trap in the tailpiece riser.

i usually have to use a piece of tubing/ (1.5'' flange tailpiece) to scrape the walls clean and then snake the line.

this happens to just a handfull of my customers. not the norm.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I've not noticed any problems with shampoos and the like, but just having "ladies" in residence usually leads to hair clogs. Quite often, simply removing the strainer from the tub drain and grabbing it with needle nose pliers can clear a tub and pulling the stopper out of a basin brings out a hair trout.

Comment

i have 2 clients with a similar situation. both ladies (2 different houses) have long hair and pride themselves on taking the best care of it they can. all kinds of exotic oils & conditioners. this does lead to blockages. i went to one house every 9-10 weeks and retrieved a little hair and a lot of "scum". the other varied from 5-11 weeks with a lot of "scum" and more hair. neither amout of hair was enough to cause the blockages by itself but the "scum" was heavy and very sticky. we are conducting an experiment and the results, while being far from scientific, are interesting.

i'm having them both use Roebic's K-67 Bacterial Drain & Trap Cleaner as per label instructions. we have been doing this since March of this year. the only differnce is i have one of the ladies fill the tub (the other is a shower) about 1/3 full of HOT water and pull the plug.

since we started this experiment neither has experiences a backup and both are happy about this. the tub actually drains better than it has, according tothe owner, in the 5 years she's owned the house.

i officially end the experiment on 12/01/08. if there are no backups before then i will call it a success and offer the product to clients that have this sort of problem.

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Thrift works well on these problems
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

For you short haired boys . . . Long hair gets tangled very easily. The best way to comb out knots is after you have washed and conditioned your hair and while it is still wet. It inevitably pulls some hair out, especially curly hair. The two places the combing takes place-in the shower and over the bathroom sink.
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                Thrift works well on these problems

Is Insta-Flo the same thing as Thrift or is Insta-Flo the weaker "consumer version" of it?? They are both marketed by Thrift Marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                  Yes
                  lotions & hair Conditioners will cause problems as they tend to build up on the side walls of the pipe to the point that they close off.
                  I would remove the drum trap if it was me
                  I would take All Clears advice and get rid of the drum trap . Since you didnt retrieve any hair on your cable it probable ended up in the drum and will end up having to be replace eventually

Comment

Working...
                  X