Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thrift(?)

NOT TO MENTION WHAT IT DOE'S TO YOUR SEWER CABLES,
    I HAVE HAD BRAND NEW CABLES START TO SNAP LIKE MICRONE BECAUSE OF DRAIN ACID IN THE LINES, ANY THING FROM 1/4" UP TO 3/4"
    MAIN LINE CABLES AND "EVER" SIZE IN BETWEEN
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Sodium Hydroxide is lye,

my wife's grand father lost one of his eyes to lye when trying to clean a drain, it splash back up in to his face,

It will melt your skin it is not exactly a burn but the end results are similar, NO it is not an Acid, but jsut the opposite one of the strongest Base there is, a PH of 14

Sodium Hydroxide is a dangerous chemical that is used to make soap. It is also used to unclog drains! It is the main ingredient in products such as Draino.
      Sodium Hydroxide or Lye, is not an acid, it is Basic in nature. That means it is at the opposite end of the ph scale from an acid. On the ph scale 7.0 is neutral, and lye has a ph of 14! That means it can burn you as easily as an acid. For this reason, many people keep vinegar close at hand to neutralize any lye that spills on their skin. Vinegar is acidic, but not enough to burn your skin, just enough to neutralize the lye.
      http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/9684/lye.html
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Right. And if my chemistry memory serves me correct bases feel slick.

So if any of my online plumbing buddies are working on a clogged drain and come into contact with the water/effluent-and it feels "slick"-get somewhere and wash your hands.

J.C.

Comment

Been using Thrift Drain Cleaner for years. On the back side of my website, I have a good write-up to which the makers of Thrift called and thanked me for the use of their product, promoting and all.

I laid it on thick and asked if they would sell me 1000 1 pound bottles for cost,

no can do. Has to go through a distributor

Anyway, I have customers that call me wanting to buy the stuff constantly from me. Sold two bottles in just the past week to the same guy. He'll do anything to keep me away with my machine! $$$

I use it as a follow-up after drain cleaning OR when I absolutely cannot maneuver through an old trap like on a set of back to back tub/showers on a slab home, all cast iron and taking it down the common vent isn't doing a damn thing.

OR, those older cast brass traps, hell even lead traps hooked to those waste and overflows that had the screwball corkscrew linkage. I'm getting pissed off just typing this because when these situations happen, you've spent a great deal of time involved in getting to the decision point to use chemicals as a last resort.

Thrift only works on slow moving drains, never clogged. You'll have a science experiment gone horribly wrong if you put that product into a standing clog.

The hotter the water, the better it works.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Nope. Don't use harmful chemicals and don't recommend any especially the muriatic/sulfuric types. I've ruined lots of leather gloves and cable because of the stuff. Enzymes maintainer is the only safe type cleaner (both for the customer and the plumbing) IMO.

Comment

I agree. I'll stick with bioclean.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

that's why i posted about the Roebic product. it seems to work and is not bad on the pipes, fixtures, septic tanks or people.

i'm looking to repackage some of this stuff and offer it (and the service if they want it) to folks with grease/scum/oils problems.

keep looking for another niche

jerrymac, WFT is a "microne"?

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I used to use clobber freguently on traps untill one day when I tried it on an old drum trap on a cast iron tub. Didnt clean out the drain at all , backed up into the tub taking the finish off of it where there was standing water and eventually ate right through the old cast lines under the tubs pouring acid all over the cieling below. The worse part was when I had to remove the lines afterwards and replace them with plastic and put in a new trap that I could run a snake through without getting the acid all over myself.
                  Probable one of the worse jobs I have ever done
                  Stayed away from all chemical drain cleaners after that

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Sounds scary,
                    So we're fairly confident at this point that it won't hurt plastic.Does the chemical like to eat corroding metals prematurley affecting it's integrity?

It only eats what is organic. If the piping is in a deteriorated fashion before you start, it will clean the pipe well enough to expose the bad spots.

Clobber and Thrift are similar, to what degree I do not know other than one is liquid and the other is granular.

I like the granular/chip form of this product because I have more control of how it works through the drain, and I can really create a good mix by adding less water to make it more effective.

Like a pop-up assembly that you go messing with the linkage, knowing there's a hairball hooked to it or it's going to leak when taken apart?

Add a cap full a couple times and that hair will be gone, and the drain will be free flowing.

The rep in the area years ago would bring a coffee cup, cut off a good size lock of hair.

Hair in the bottom of the cup, one cap full of thrift, one cap full of extremely hot water.

When the experiment was over, no hair and and a small small amount of black water inside the cup.

I found this product back in 88' and it's the only upsell product that "can" be an answer in a can.

I like the liquid side of bio-clean which is drain-care, made from another company.

My boss used to sell that stuff religiously and we'd try to push it for him...but it's hard to sell a can of sand without some science experiment going off to prove it works.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      I wish our supply house out here did not sell to the homeowner Duck.
                      Actually no I don't.Like some others here I hope more start using hacks and do it yourself.The more it happens the better we look.Although I've got to check if they over the counter chemicals.
                      Last time I picked up some muriatic acid was a hardware store to clean a slab after breaking down a boiler, not a plumbing supply, the guy "carded" me.
                      He said they'd had situations where homeowners had burnt themselves or gotten into dangerous situations with fumes and they only sold it to licensed guys now.

Comment

Brings up the old saw _ How pilots stay alive " When in doubt , DON'T
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thrift is the Sodium Hydroxide cleaner it is grey solid (left).

Clobber ( Sulfuric Acid) is the stuff on the right and is only available for purchase in my area with a license. This stuff will eat anything and everything pipes, skin, chrome ect ect ect....

Clobber has a habit of reacting badly to just about anything but especially any residual drain cleaner that a customer does not tell you about... It will rust machine cables in a matter of hours if not rinsed off...

Okie

Comment

I dont like clobber BAD experiences burns on my arms, eating through pipes, just not fun stuff. Sizzle though works great to clean coils on a tankless.... the original tankless like on a boiler!!! never tried on one of them new fangled tankless units!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                              I dont like clobber BAD experiences burns on my arms, eating through pipes, just not fun stuff. Sizzle though works great to clean coils on a tankless.... the original tankless like on a boiler!!! never tried on one of them new fangled tankless units!
                              I wouldn't recommend it either, MFG's suggest vinegar or CLR.
                              My luck I'd fowl a sensor or burn something out.

White vinegar works fine...you watch it blacken as it cycles within the first 15 minutes.
                              I think I even have pics of the blackened vinegar...yup...here ya go.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I put boiling water down my kitchen sink every once in awhile and so far have not had to cable it. I have had to plunge it a couple times, but thats it. And for a plumbing family we are not very careful with the drains in my house, everything end up in there.
                                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                                X