What is Thrift?I never heard of it.
    Kenneth Collier
    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
    Jackson, MS 39206
    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Re: Thrift(?)

Thanks Ken I kindof had a few questions about the product myself.

A#1,is it going to damage my peep's pipes.

Comment

Thrift is a grey soild like a rock... Sodium Hydroxide

You run the hot water into the line to preheat it then dump the thrift down... Run water over grey rocks until disolved than shut off water and wait a minute or two (you will hear the stuff cooking)... Flush line

Good for a slow bathroom sink ( good on hair and soap slime)...

It will get a trap hot enough to burn your hand though I have never seen it damage a plastic trap.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Thrift is a grey soild like a rock... Sodium Hydroxide

You run the hot water into the line to preheat it then dump the thrift down... Run water over grey rocks until disolved than shut off water and wait a minute or two (you will hear the stuff cooking)... Flush line

Good for a slow bathroom sink ( good on hair and soap slime)...

It will get a trap hot enough to burn your hand though I have never seen it damage a plastic trap.

Okie
        Sounds scary,
        So we're fairly confident at this point that it won't hurt plastic.Does the chemical like to eat corroding metals prematurley affecting it's integrity?

Comment

Where do you get this????

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
            Where do you get this????
            One of the supply houses near me has it. The other has glug or globber (don't remember which is the flakes and which is liquid).

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              One of the supply houses near me has it. The other has glug or globber (don't remember which is the flakes and which is liquid).
              Clobber is what you might be thinking of. Your supply house sells stuff to the homeowner?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Clobber is serious stuff--not for amateurs--i was in a building with a self proclaimed "experienced " plumber about 1 year ago--i ran to the truck and came back to find him laying on the floor gasping for air and purple in the face--he said he used clobber a million times before--well when i ran out, he poured it down the line and a big burp blew out at him and he inhaled -luckily i got back when i did and saw the bottle on the ground next to him anddragged him away and grabbed my emergency adren inhaler(always in my toolbag) and pressed it 6 times-- in about 5 seconds he gasped in and lost it--took him to the hospital and had to show doctor the bottle and the doctor said he def lost lots of brain cells and is lucky i hit him with the inhaler--after seeing this, i wont use it without respirator---i think ive used it 1 x since this--not a fan of drain products--except sizzle--sizzle keeps me from pulling urinals without cleanouts:d
                the clobber bottle has a skull with crossbones on it--thats pretty serious

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Clobber is what you might be thinking of. Your supply house sells stuff to the homeowner?
                  I highly doubt it, liability issues.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    I highly doubt it, liability issues.
                    I wish our supply house out here did not sell to the homeowner Duck.
                    Actually no I don't.Like some others here I hope more start using hacks and do it yourself.The more it happens the better we look.Although I've got to check if they over the counter chemicals.

Comment

Is Insta-Flo the same thing as Thrift or is Insta-Flo the weaker "consumer version" of it?? They are both marketed by Thrift Marketing.

I would think that any product that gets the pipes hot may cause damage to an old marginal pipe or if used regularly? Have you seen this to be true? Then again, a rotted out pipe can finally give out when rodded too.

Comment

All chemicals are dangerous. Some more than others.

Thrift is mild in my opinion for these cleaners. Add hot water to it to get a reaction going. Can help on mild soap buildup some hair. There was an equivalent brand that could generate it's own heat with cold water when I was at the supply house. Don't recall the name.

Chloreben/Clobber or any equivalent should not be touched by any homeowner and handled with all precautions by a pro. I've used something similar to Sizzle (I think) to help break up the grout in a p-trap that the dumba$$ tile person put in there. Basically, it's high concentrate Hydrochloric Acid. Dangerous.

Any of these, including Thrift, can harm your eyes, skin, respiratory etc. for life. Always side on caution.

And no chemical beats physical removal of a problem.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          No, they sell the flake one not the liquid one.

Comment

I use that stuff for everything. I threw out all my cables and just use chemicals now. Also Clobber tastes really good mixed in water, like lemonade.

.....NOT!
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I CHARGE ANYWHERE FROM $25.00
                              TO $100.00 OR MORE ACID CHARGE
                              ANYTIME SOMEONE HAS PUT THAT IN THE DRAINS AND THEN ASK ME TO RUN MY SNAKE THOUGH IT ! !

I HAVE GOT SEROUSLY BURNT BY
                              IT AND HAVE WORKED WITH PLUMBERS WHO HAVE HAD TO HAVE SKIN GRIFTS TO COVER WHERE THE SKIN WAS BURNT OFF
                              BY PEOPLE USING THOSE KIND OF CHEMICALS,
                              I USED TO USE MURICTIC ACID TO CLEAN OUT UNINALS WITH,
                              BUT NOW BECAUSE IT IS CONSIDERED TOXIC WASTE I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE,
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X