Rough breaking-in for Impressionator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rough breaking-in for Impressionator

The funny thing is that when I used a drum I didn't let it do all the work for me. I didn't have time to sit there and wait for the machine to do all the work. I pulled out cable by hand until it hit the stoppage. It's what I didn't like about the General I had - the 3/4" cable was in too small of a drum and was hard to pull compared to other machines I'd used. Yes, I just got the new K-60 and started into drain cleaning again, but I did have quite a few years of doing it under my belt before I threw in the towel because I wasn't making enough money to keep up the machines.

With the K-60, I do the same thing - I run the cable in until it hits something and then push a section into the machine and hook it together. When I change heads, I simply disconnect from the machine and pull it all back into the basket, change the head, and throw it all back into the line. It's really effortless - certainly easier than getting some of the big machines down the basement stairs. The K-60 and 50' of 5/8" is an easy carry.

Comment

I`m making enough money to support my hobbies( very expensive one`s at that) and a pretty nice life style

If you couldn't make a living with a drum machine I would rethink trying it with a K-60

It`s not the machine that makes a good business it`s the business man behind the machine that makes it all come together I dont care what machine you run, you should be a business man or it`s just not gonna work
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

herk, have u ever used a drummer with autofeed???? if u do, you will never go back to sectional

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr
          herk, have u ever used a drummer with autofeed???? if u do, you will never go back to sectional
          I have, and you're obviously incorrect. I've spoken of the General several times and it had autofeed. I have a good memory. I remember trying to get the censored thing onto a roof using a heavy extension ladder. I remember getting the cables overlapped inside the drum and not being able to get them in or out, autofeed or not. I remember the lovely smell of the enclosed drum. I remember those hundred-pound cables getting themselves tied in knots. I remember wrecking my back trying to load it into the truck. Thanks, but I think I'll stick with the sectional for a while.

Comment

NOT LONG BEFORE U WILL HATE GETTING COVERED IN CRAP AND ACHING FROM CARRYING ALL THE HEAVY CABLES ,LOOKING LIKE A PIG IN MUD,MAKING A MESS OF CRAP IN A HOME,AND ONCE THAT CABLE SNAPS AND CRAP SMACKS U IN THE MOUTH AND FACE AND YOU WILL THINK OF ME SITTING ON MY BUCKET WATCHING MY 6200 CLEAR A LINE IN 10 MINUTES THAT WOULD TAKE YOU 2 HOURS--SECTIONALS CAN HELP, BUT DRUMS ARE FASTER AND MORE EFFICIENT--HERES THE PROOF
            I USED TO USE MY 1500 TO DO SEWER CLEANS--20 MINUTES TO SETUP AND GET STARTED,30 TO 45 MINUTES TO CLEAR 125 FT ROOT BALL AND 45 MINUTES TO MOP THE BASEMENT--ROUGHLY 2 HOURS WITH BILLING
            NOW--SETUP 6200--5 MINUTES---25 MINUTES TO CLEAR 125 FT ROOT BALL-AND NO CLEANUP--THATS ROUGHLY 30-45 MINUTES--NOW I CAN MAKE AN EXTRA $$$ TO CAMERA THAT LINE , WHICH TAKES 30 MINUTES TO RECORD, AND IM DONE IN LESS TIME STILL--AND I MADE ALL THAT EXTRA $$$--NOW WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE???WRESTLE WITH CABLE AND GET COVERED IN CRAP AND CLEAN LIKE A MAID FOR SNAKE PRICE IN 2 HOUR TIME FRAME or SIT ON A BUCKET AND LET THE MACHINE DO THE WORK WITH NO MESS AND MAKE EXTRA CASH TO CAMERA LINE WITHOUT GETTING DIRTY IN THE SAME TIME FRAME???????????
            WAIT TILL THAT THING WRAPS UP ON YOU AND COVERS YOU WITH SOMEONES STOMACH ACHE --YOULL COME CRAWLING BACK TO THE DRUMMER!!!!!!!!!

Comment

For the drummers. What kind of truck do you use? How do you load/unload? Drums can be around 200lbs. and I was wondering if everyone "throws" it in the back of a service truck or had a lift etc.?

J.C.

Comment

my Marco was easy, had a third wheel on the handle, just roll it to the truck, tip it over then roll it in and stand it up, easy as pie!

Comment

why does ridgid only use the third wheel on the K-750? How much does it really cost to put it on all there drum machines? it definitly makes the job easier! General has it and so does Marco, and I am sure others if I look! My general sewer-matic even had the stairclimber built in!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    For the drummers. What kind of truck do you use? How do you load/unload? Drums can be around 200lbs. and I was wondering if everyone "throws" it in the back of a service truck or had a lift etc.?

J.C.

Got a lift-gate from harbor freight, 5 years ago. Easy work getting it in and out of the truck.

I'm the only plumber in town with one and it makes easy work of moving the machine into the truck. **** those ramps or hoist lifts.

As much talk of sectionals goes on in this place, I've been there and there's nothing I've heard yet that's positive enough to bring me back to that physical work of cleaning a drain. Cable outside the machine spinning is one of the most hazardous situations plausible and a great deal of you all are toting that you won't use one. ???

General machines aren't what they are cracked up to be......you all should know that because when you see them at your supply house on the floor collecting dust, what does that tell you.....?

I ran my 81 tonight and just 2' outside the drum made a mess.

Do I have to search into my repressed memory and tell you all of all the cleanups I had to perform when I hit massive roots or a sludge line of old sewage and had to pull that sectional back out? That's obviously left out of the equation here the majority of the time.

Glad to be of service to make sure it is known because it does happen. Not every drain is a soft matter clog. Hit a hair bound knot in a sectional and you'll be best friends with your pocket knife for a mother ****ing hour. I'll pass comprendes.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                      my Marco was easy, had a third wheel on the handle, just roll it to the truck, tip it over then roll it in and stand it up, easy as pie!

Spartan has a 3rd wheel assembly but the height of the vehicle you're using is critical to whether that is a easy transition or not.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I think Utah is correct in having different machines. That way you can assess the job and do what's best.

But you broke it down like a fraction saying, "you'll be best friends with your motherf***** pocketknife for the next hour."

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                          Our drum machines had a keeper on the shaft which made for easy cable basket removal. If it was one of the step vans they were low enough to just lean the machine back on the handle and slide them in. If it was one of the Isuzus with a utility body we would break them down.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I use a trailer and wouldnt have it any other way
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

My General had a 3rd wheel for loading, but I have to say that I wouldn't call it easy. I'm just not that strong.

And as in the pic I posted, I wear khakis and striped white/blue shirts and after three hours of working on that floor drain I could have gone to dinner in them. I'm sure that sooner or later i'll get dirty, and as I said, I am not new to drain cleaning. But I do a lot of things to reduce the mess. For one, I work on a tarp - and I run tarps or carpet protectors over carpeted floors.

There's no reason that one has to wallow in the muck with the cable. Let the cable do all the wallowing.

Comment

the 7500 has a set of stair climbers that fold out to let you load the truck. it also lets you run on a 45 degree angle to the drain.

with all the drains i clear, i would happily settle for a k-60 over a 7500.

the k-60 does stuff that the 7500 can never do.

if every job was on flat ground and no steps right outside the truck, then a 7500 would be the choice.

but in real life, very few of my jobs are right outside the truck. lots of stairs and roofs. crawl spaces and under decks.

i carry 90' in the 1 basket and another 90' in the second basket. plus another 60' loose. i know exactly where my cable is and how much is out.

i have yet to fail with a drain using my k-60. there will always be drains that no machine can do. but there not been a drain that a drum machine has showed me up.

anyone looking for a machine that is the most universal machine out there, look at the k-60. the ones knocking it have never used one

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X