Rough breaking-in for Impressionator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough breaking-in for Impressionator

The K-60 got its first job today. It looked easy - a floor drain that taps into a kitchen/laundry drain line from upstairs. The old gentleman had tried to rod it with a hand-crank cable he'd borrowed from a neighbor.

The floor drain to the 4" main was about 25'. I used the 5/8" cable and got in about 16' and smacked into something solid. Since it was my first time with that machine, I thought I was hitting concrete or a broken line.

I tried several heads, and the small retriever managed to punch through it. Apparently, he'd been cleaning with the small auger and keeping a small hole through it. I ran back in with the spade and it took about two hours of constant cutting to get through it. I'd estimate it to have been about 8' of solid grease.

Otherwise, the line was pretty clean. When I pulled the cable back, it came back wet and there were traces of hair, but no real grease. The spade came back looking untouched, though the cable was constantly binding in the line. No wear marks.

I finally punched through into the main, ran hot water with a hose and cleaned my way back out.

One thing's certain: I'm glad I used the K-60 rather than trying to snake it with the Super Vee.

I tried to sell him some Bio-Clean - I can't think of anyone who could benefit from it more, but once he got the price for the cleaning, he decided to think about it for a while - probably to call around and find out if he could get it cheaper. ::sigh::

Re: Rough breaking-in for Impressionator

A 4" floor drain could've been done with the 7/8 cable. I like to run cold water with grease. Breaks it up in chunks and allows it to float downstream rather than melt and cling to the sidewall of the pipe.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yea the bigger cable will surprise you on what turns it can make. Openwind and all. And then it feeds out like you have auto feed but it don't auto feed back.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        A 4" floor drain could've been done with the 7/8 cable. I like to run cold water with grease. Breaks it up in chunks and allows it to float downstream rather than melt and cling to the sidewall of the pipe.
        i think the floor drain fed to the 4". hard to get a 7/8 (at least for me) down a 1 1/2" floor drain

i like hot water with grease. i can get through it and clar the line. then a preventive (roebic or consume) to help keep it "clear" sometimes the cold water seems to create a blockage further down if there is anything to hold/trap the grease.

tomatoe/tomatoe .. as long as it works

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
          i think the floor drain fed to the 4". hard to get a 7/8 (at least for me) down a 1 1/2" floor drain
          I see what you're saying now. If there's a cleanout plug then the 7/8 would be an easy day.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i doubt the drain was anthing bigger than 2''.

a word of caution. don't attempt a 2'' trap with the 7/8'' cable

the male and female coupling combination will make it next to impossible to get it back out. i know

2'' pipe no propblem with 7/8''.

the 5/8'' with a 4 blade cutter t-213 is the killer cutter for grease

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by herk View Post
              the k-60 got its first job today. And it took about two hours of constant cutting to get through it.

what?!!!!!!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                but it don't auto feed back.

What?!!!!?!?!!!!
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  What?!!!!?!?!!!!
                  He's a K-60 beginner, go easy on him.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Rick
                    a word of caution. don't attempt a 2'' trap with the 7/8'' cable
                    Oh, I know that. I went through the cleanout in the side of the floor drain. The drain itself had a backwater ball in it and wasn't clogged. The underfloor drain was full of ancient grease. The HO had been rodding it himself for years with a hand cable - drilling a small hole through it. He was quite amazed that I could stick a hose barely into the drain and it wouldn't backwash. So the grease I was cutting was quite a few years old.

If I had to clean the trap part of the floor drain, I probably wouldn't go all the way through it - I'd go in from both front and back through the cleanout and use a hose to flush as I cleared down to the bottom of the trap. Floor drains usually have a lot of sand, silt, gravel.

He was a very organized old fella - he had two floor drain covers, several extra cleanout plugs, the hose was at hand.

I hope they all aren't that hard.

I was tempted to run the 7/8" cable, but space was at a premium. I had the guide hose strung around in a circle in the small room that had a furnace, washer and dryer and all kinds of furniture stacked up so that there was barely room to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      He's a K-60 beginner, go easy on him.
                      2 Hours
                      I`ve never had a floor drain take any longer the 30 minutes but I guess that's because I don`t use a K-60

I`ve got one to do at 10:am I`ll get some pic`s of how it`s done
                      It`s a photo lab and if you know anything about those lines
                      they are a real pita, like cutting concrete
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

herk, what i found with 5/8'' cable 7.5' long. i use a 5 gallon bucket to contain the spinning cable. i rarely ever use the rear guide hose.

experiment with a few different cutters and find your favorites.

i like the straight auger, bulb auger, 4 blade cutter and sawtooth cutters.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Chalk on up for the K-60, Had you been a drum man you would have needed an in-between machine for this job, like a k-400, I think the k-7500 would have been to big with 3/4" cable and the k-39 is definitely too small. therefore effectively you would need 3 machines on your truck to handle every call vs just the k-60. I am not saying that the k-60 is the best machine for everything as I have never even seen one but I would have to say I would have thought about investing in one a few years back versus my generals. The K-60 seems much more versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer
                            I`ve never had a floor drain take any longer the 30 minutes but I guess that's because I don`t use a K-60
                            Had it been just a floor drain, it wouldn't have taken so long. But it was the tail end of the kitchen/laundry drain, about 40' from the kitchen sink. And every time it got clogged, the old guy would run a hand snake with a small bulb auger through it, leaving most of the grease to keep hardening. In addition, I don't think his cable was long enough to get all the way through the clog.

The small straight auger, which is the same size as the cable, went right through it, but the larger spade cutter felt as if I was cutting concrete.

That's why the guy was so surprised that it took so much water without backing up when I finished - he had never before gotten it cleaned, he just punched a hole in it.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                              Chalk on up for the K-60, Had you been a drum man you would have needed an in-between machine for this job, like a k-400, I think the k-7500 would have been to big with 3/4" cable and the k-39 is definitely too small. therefore effectively you would need 3 machines on your truck to handle every call vs just the k-60. I am not saying that the k-60 is the best machine for everything as I have never even seen one but I would have to say I would have thought about investing in one a few years back versus my generals. The K-60 seems much more versatile.
                              your right, had he been using a drum machine he might have been done in 1/2the time like I am.
                              It`s 10:50 and I`m already back at the shop picking up my orders for the afternoon

Hey Herk have you ever done a photo lab ?
                              my 10:am appointment took about 30 minutes to run 50` twice
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X