Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite small cable machine.

Originally posted by Herk View Post
    I just used my new Super Vee today and had no surprises, except for figuring out how to swap from 1/4" to 3/8" cable. Aha! The lever flips back and the handle flips up and the cable slides right through the auto feed. Got it.

I don't understand the need for a stand, particularly because when holding it you can get right up to the drain you're cleaning. No need for any exposed cable. I got dirtier when I came home and washed the cable off than I did cleaning the drain.
    Maybe I just need to get used to the idea of holding the gun up to the drain and running it without touching the cable at all. It just 'feels' weird to never touch the cable. How do you know when you are hitting a bad spot, etc? I am just old-fashioned and I like to 'hand-feel' my cable as it maneuvers fittings and cleans the drain.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The K-40 also has a guide-hose...I am considering a model like that.

Comment

Haven't used the K-40. Might be good. Does not have variable speed though last I checked. It's either on or off.

J.C.

Comment

I used to use a k40--they do work very well,if i saw a good deal on one id snatch it in a snap--i believe i had a 25 ft drum and a 50 or 60 ft drum--i always took both and used the one i needed--like all drummers, there is no mess, and the same goes for k40--it was very reliable--never had an issue with it---it was no good over 2" and that was the problem--no big cable----but it had some power to it--very good ridgid machine

i use autospins for small lines--i go through one about every 2-4 months--i use it with my ridgid 18 volt hammerdrill--it works great--u cant tell when its kinked until its kinked, thats why myself and my guys use them as disposible snakes--for 40 bucks, it pays for itself after the first job--i like it and will continue 2 use it

i really dont have a favorite-if ridgid dropped off 1 of each snake they make, im sure i would have a better opinion----------
          did u read that josh?????

Comment

Honestly of all the machines out there (for small lines like tub drains) the K-40 looks to be perfect for me. But I would like to demo. one first before I shell out $600. PlumberRick posted nothing but negative feedback about it, and that got me nervous.

Glad though to hear some positive feedback Plumberjr. The k-40 looks awesome.

Comment

Anyone want to trade me a k-40 for my k-39 auto-feed? Its in almost mint condition!

Comment

Rick might have one or two. Seriously.

J.C.

Comment

I'd be happy to buy one from him. I know he doesn't need my K-39...I bet he already has 12 of them! They are one of his favorite.

Comment

I use the Spartan Model 100 drum machine with 50ft. 5/16" cable with no core for flexibility.

I never have a problem getting through the smaller lines with this. The nice thing is, when I want to clear a larger drain such as a 2" laundry drain, I have a second drum with 75 ft. of 13/32" cable with inner core that I swap out with.

It is a versatile machine and easy to move around.
                    Attached Files
                    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

I'd consider the B model that runs on 14.4V batteries. The inertia of the drum is the power and the batteries last fairly well. (I have a Makita 14.4V set).

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                        I use the Spartan Model 100 drum machine with 50ft. 5/16" cable with no core for flexibility.

I never have a problem getting through the smaller lines with this. The nice thing is, when I want to clear a larger drain such as a 2" laundry drain, I have a second drum with 75 ft. of 13/32" cable with inner core that I swap out with.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Spartan 100. Except the WEIGHT! Thats way too BIG for what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          Does anyone use a K-40? It looks like a great machine in the pictures. I already read the old threads, so I know plumberrick hates it. But I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and if they like it? It looks like what I want, except its a bit costly and I don't want to invest in one if it has any major design problems.
                          Service Guy

I bought a K-40 last year and it is a load of crap the brochure that sold me on it was just plain fraud by Ridgid in what it said it would do, under the facade it is belt driven and only spines the cable at 270rpm half the speed of the K-39 at 500rpm with the varible pristle grip, so getting around bends and traps with the K-40 is an effect and impossible in some situations and the guide hose restricts the rpm`s even more, I suppose the stream line look of the K-40 and that bloody guide hose in the Ridgid brochure clearing a basin with no mess sold me on it in the first place and that was Ridgid intentsion.
                          If I was you I would go for the K-50 which has proven itself over the years.

Tony

Comment

[quote=Service Guy;169298]I'd be happy to buy one from him. I know he doesn't need my K-39...I bet he already has 12 of them! They are one of his favorite.[/quote

remember i tried to warn you.

if you really want a k-40, i'll be glad to make you a deal on mine

no need for anymore k-39's as i have enough for every day of the week and then some

ben also sold off his k-40

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post

It's almost impossible to kink that 13/32" cable as well. I've had mine for probably 5 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it. Never thought about 5/16" for the 100 though.

I use my 300 and interchange with a 100 drum. Keeps me in the powerfeed mode and I bought 2 machines instead of 3.

Did you ever sell your 1065 I see in the background?
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                                Service Guy

I bought a K-40 last year and it is a load of crap the brochure that sold me on it was just plain fraud by Ridgid in what it said it would do, under the facade it is belt driven and only spines the cable at 270rpm half the speed of the K-39 at 500rpm with the varible pristle grip, so getting around bends and traps with the K-40 is an effect and impossible in some situations and the guide hose restricts the rpm`s even more, I suppose the stream line look of the K-40 and that bloody guide hose in the Ridgid brochure clearing a basin with no mess sold me on it in the first place and that was Ridgid intentsion.
                                If I was you I would go for the K-50 which has proven itself over the years.

Tony
                                So basically I am better off just building a small stand for my K-39. That will save me some money too. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X