Favorite small cable machine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite small cable machine.

Kenway Jr. for 1" to 2" drain lines. Light weight with innerchangeable drums for different size lines.

Comment

Looks like my old Spartan 100 machine. She was great for kitchen sinks until the clutch wore out.

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
        I use the Spartan Model 100 drum machine with 50ft. 5/16" cable with no core for flexibility.

I never have a problem getting through the smaller lines with this. The nice thing is, when I want to clear a larger drain such as a 2" laundry drain, I have a second drum with 75 ft. of 13/32" cable with inner core that I swap out with.

It is a versatile machine and easy to move around.
        I wish I would have gotten another Spartan 100 instead of the K-3800, the 3800 is a great machine but it's too wide to fit through some doors. The 100 never had that problem.

Comment

K-39 with AF by far!
          You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Sorry not a ridgid like my seesnake, and other tools. GO50 Gorlitz, 3/8 and 1/2 inch cables.

This picture was taken after I repainted the frame and had the motor cleaned up. It survived 9 feet of salt water for almost two weeks from hurricane Katrina.

The motor lasted for about a year and a half after the storm. One day I set up to unstop a kitchen sink, flipped the switch, and a puff of smoke came out the back. I replaced the motor and still use this machine.

It's taken on more of a dark brown color since this picture 3 years ago.
            Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't the open-cage drum sling poo everywhere? I never used one as they look messy.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

This is what happens when you evacuate with your car and leave your truck.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes they're poo flingers. That's the one down side IMO.

If running inside, I try (hope) to unstop on the first run, and pull out with the machine off. If I have to rerun I use a "tent" that gorlitz sells. that fits right over the machine. I always put newspaper down and just roll everything up when I'm finished.

I look for cleanouts and work from roof vents whenever possible. Especially sewers.

What I like about them is they drip dry and it's easy to keep the cable clean.

Gorlitz also sells enclosed reels, I'm just use to these.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    Doesn't the open-cage drum sling poo everywhere? I never used one as they look messy.
                    Not too bad if you know whats up. I've seen guys sling black water all over everything and others you'd never know they were there. For the former, they have covers that fit tightly over the reels so as to contain the water. They finally came out with a poly material drum. Light and corrosion proof. One of these days I'll get off my butt and switch my open reels over.

Evenso, 95% of my work is from an outside c/o or from the roof.
                    Boy do I like roof vents.

This machine is my second to most used. After years of haulin' a 75 lb. machine up and down the ladder, I found this one to be super comfortable by comparison. The back end rests nicely on my thigh as my leg does the lifting up the ladder. Approx. 25 lb. difference.

My "smallest" machine would be this:

GO15. Use it exclusively for tubs, lavs basins, showers and the occasional short kitchen line.
                    Super light and sits upright or facing forward shown here. I don't use the standard 1/4" cable though. I use the slightly larger 9/32" X 50'. I've used 5/16" (which I prefer to the other sizes) but can only get about 30' inside.
                    Last edited by Twicepipes; 01-15-2009, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

I started useing open drums. I didn't know any better when I bought them. Oh boy can they be messy I would wrap plastic wrap around the cage and that would help but it looked tacky. I finally got plastic drums for all my cable. much better!!

The 1st time I pulled my cable back and I had black water slung in a nice circle from floor to ceiling I knew there had to be a better way.

Comment

Those Gorlitz machines look really user-friendly. Thanks for the tip.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                          Not too bad if you know whats up. I've seen guys sling black water all over everything and others you'd never know they were there. For the former, they have covers that fit tightly over the reels so as to contain the water. They finally came out with a poly material drum. Light and corrosion proof. One of these days I'll get off my butt and switch my open reels over.

Evenso, 95% of my work is from an outside c/o or from the roof.
                          Boy do I like roof vents.

This machine is my second to most used. After years of haulin' a 75 lb. machine up and down the ladder, I found this one to be super comfortable by comparison. The back end rests nicely on my thigh as my leg does the lifting up the ladder. Approx. 25 lb. difference.

My "smallest" machine would be this:

GO15. Use it exclusively for tubs, lavs basins, showers and the occasional short kitchen line.
                          Super light and sits upright or facing forward shown here. I don't use the standard 1/4" cable though. I use the slightly larger 9/32" X 50'. I've used 5/16" (which I prefer to the other sizes) but can only get about 30' inside.
                          Nice to know I'm not alone in my choice of machines here.

Comment

I worked for a company for 2 years that used sectional and drum Generals

I found that cables in the enclosed reels got rusty and worn too fast, and required us to pull out and oil them regularly. Also as time passed and they became more limber they would flip in the reel. Since they were in enclosed reels you could not see what was happening. Most times if it's not too bad of a flip, which I can tell easily with an open reel, I can reverse the motor, hold tension and pop the cable back without removing the reel. Of course, this usually means the cable is at the end of it's life, but I like to get as much life out of my cables as possible. I found the enclosed reels to be high maintenance IMO. I definitely see the advantage of an enclosed reel, though.

Attached is the "tent" I was talking about
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                              Nice to know I'm not alone in my choice of machines here.
                              Yep, you're a sinner like me.

About the enclosed drums, I agree. I've had good luck though with the both of those machines that I posted and have no real complaints. I discovered though if there's even just a little water left in the drum, and it sits for more than a day, the cable often comes out a like rusty corkscrew whipping around everywhere. The mainline machines seem to be the worst. I like to keep my mainline cables straight and free of kinks unless I'm running a whip attachment. A little swirl, whippy action does a greasy/rusty line good.
                              If and when I switch over to the plastic style drum, I'd like to drill and tap for a small, possibly counter sunk drain plug. Only problem is being plastic, as the cable loads back into the drum, it may strip and push plug out. Wouldn't that be lovely on a job?

Another note about the smaller machines (actually all the machines I own), haven't had to replace a single one. I've been using the same units for 10 years now without a single failure. Actually, my GO50 was the first machine I bought and it was used. Probably 15 or 16 yrs. old by now. Haven't even replaced the wheels (although they are worn). Not even a belt has gone out. And it's not because they sit around either. They been used thousands of times and If I do need parts, Gorlitz or my other supplier is only a few miles away from me. That's kinda nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                                Yep, you're a sinner like me.

About the enclosed drums, I agree. I've had good luck though with the both of those machines that I posted and have no real complaints. I discovered though if there's even just a little water left in the drum, and it sits for more than a day, the cable often comes out a like rusty corkscrew whipping around everywhere. The mainline machines seem to be the worst. I like to keep my mainline cables straight and free of kinks unless I'm running a whip attachment. A little swirl, whippy action does a greasy/rusty line good.
                                If and when I switch over to the plastic style drum, I'd like to drill and tap for a small, possibly counter sunk drain plug. Only problem is being plastic, as the cable loads back into the drum, it may strip and push plug out. Wouldn't that be lovely on a job?

Another note about the smaller machines (actually all the machines I own), haven't had to replace a single one. I've been using the same units for 10 years now without a single failure. Actually, my GO50 was the first machine I bought and it was used. Probably 15 or 16 yrs. old by now. Haven't even replaced the wheels (although they are worn). Not even a belt has gone out. And it's not because they sit around either. They been used thousands of times and If I do need parts, Gorlitz or my other supplier is only a few miles away from me. That's kinda nice.
                                my drums have drain plugs in them but I lost them already. The holes are in a spot that it doesn't matter ---about an inch from the outside edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X