Favorite small cable machine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite small cable machine.

Here is a link to add to the discussion. In addition, Rick has made statements lately about me changing from sectional only. I have tried to tell him all along I feel you need both as you will see by reading my reply.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...l+line+cleaner

Mark

BTW: This was the Pre K-60 Rick.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Good thread Mark. I almost forgot that the k-50 can be hooked up to a drum for small lines, and can use 3 different cable sizes. Now you've got me thinking about getting one!
      The K-50 is without a doubt the most versatile residential drain cleaning machine ever made bar none. For sinks, tubs, laundry risers and floor drains you install bulb augers on the machine which will run either 5/16” or 3/8” cable. It works just like a drum machine but the clutch gives you incredible control over the cable. It also packs nicely in a service truck.

When you want to clean a larger line you use the 5/8”X71/2’ sectional cables. The cables are flexible enough to negotiate an 1 ½” cast trap yet strong enough to clear a tough stoppage. The advantage to a sectional rodder is you only turn the weight of the cable in the drain while a drum machine you are still turn a 100’ cable when you’re only 10’ in the drain. Ridgid recommends only cleaning to 100” but I regularly run up to 200” without a problem.

When using the 5/8” cable you have to be careful not to get into roots in anything larger than a 2” line. I have used a 5/8” cable to clean laterals but it is only to poke a hole in the line as an emergency knowing I will follow up with a larger machine.

The other advantage to a sectional rodder is if you bend the cable you lose a 7 ½’ cable rather than a 100’ cable. If you are in a hurry to clean a drain a drum machine is fine. If you want the ability to feel the stoppage a sectional machine is the way to go.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

For me I would have to say it is more important to use the right tool for the job, I use ( all of them purchased in '99 ) a K-750 for main lines, a K-375 for kitchens, laundrys, and most lavs and floor drains, and the K-40 for tubs, showers, and some lavs and floor drains.

In 20 years I broke 2 cables and both were operator error.
        sigpic
        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Like i said before in this thread...my Spartan model 100 works great for small drains. Here are some pics of a very stubborn lav drain that was all galvanized.

I started using the 5/16" cable and had to switch to 13/32" w/drophead. It took 2 hours before we got water to even move!

The worst lav drain i have encountered yet!
          Attached Files
          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by U&I Plumber View Post

In 20 years I broke 2 cables and both were operator error.
            Then you don`t do enough sewer work if you have only broken 2 cables in 20 years
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
              Then you don`t do enough sewer work if you have only broken 2 cables in 20 years

Kind of what i was thinking.
              www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                I don't just do drains, I do all phases of service and repair. A full service plumber.

That being said, if you do not know what your machines feel like when the cable is binding or stopped up on a tough blockage then there are other issues at work.

It doesn't pay for me to force the cable, finess is my style.

All in all I only do 150 drains and sewers a year at most, small area that I operate in, my town is 9k and the other town I travel to is about 6k.
                sigpic
                www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                  Like i said before in this thread...my Spartan model 100 works great for small drains. Here are some pics of a very stubborn lav drain that was all galvanized.

I started using the 5/16" cable and had to switch to 13/32" w/drophead. It took 2 hours before we got water to even move!

The worst lav drain i have encountered yet!
                  I gotta' say alot of that splatter can be controlled with something like the K-39AF in my experience. Makes me not want to use one of those small drums if this is typical.

Disadvantage is that you can only get so much cable distance in one. (K-39AF)

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X