X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common is this?

Cleared a main line today, modular set a while ago, recently purchased by new owner, probably was in forclosure or close to it, never really occupied until now. Whoever hooked it up to the septic neglected to remove the glued on knockout where the modular plumbing ended and the septic installation began. Broke it out with a snake, pushed the pieces through to the tank with a camera. This is about the 4th time I've found something like this (a test ball or a knockout or something else they should KNOW was in there, not just debris that fell in a roughin) that the plumbers left behind on a new install.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: How common is this?

Sometimes a plumber will put a coupling and riser on a closet bend with cap in the ground work and test.Usually it's not that guy in the company that comes along in the finish to set the toilet.But it most every time is found by the installer on the first flush(obviously).

Test ballons get left behind and buried often.What I don't get is if the balloon gets buried because someone did not go out after inspection and backfill...Who capped off the wye?

Comment

I had a guy forget the close couple bolts on a two piece Am Std a couple years ago in the horn. Went out the truck got a new close couple kit, figured Am Std. forgot to put the bolts in the box got a call about 45 minutes after he left the job with a stoppage!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        Cleared a main line today, modular set a while ago, recently purchased by new owner, probably was in forclosure or close to it, never really occupied until now. Whoever hooked it up to the septic neglected to remove the glued on knockout where the modular plumbing ended and the septic installation began. Broke it out with a snake, pushed the pieces through to the tank with a camera. This is about the 4th time I've found something like this (a test ball or a knockout or something else they should KNOW was in there, not just debris that fell in a roughin) that the plumbers left behind on a new install.
        All I have to say about this:

HACK, HACK, HACKITY HACK! This is the type of stuff that frequently happens when people choose the lowest bidder.
        Last edited by Service Guy; 08-31-2008, 12:51 AM.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

One of the first jobs I ever did was a new construction commercial automotive repair center in Northridge. There was about a dozen or so shops tied into a 6-inch line. Before we could remove our double test plug at the street the lateral guy tied in the lateral and repaired the street. He told me not to worry he removed the double test plug but sure enough as soon as the place opened for business there were mainline stoppages. I made him come back out and surprise surprise he had left the test plug in.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

had a large project back in 1986 that had multiple sewer laterals.
            the sewers were subbed out to our sub-contractor.

about 1 week after we set toilets. a portion of the first floor was backed up. come to find out that the sewer contractor totally missed that connection.

rixk.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              All I have to say about this:

HACK, HACK, HACKITY HACK! This is the type of stuff that frequently happens when people choose the lowest bidder.
              With the lowest bidder comes working too fast and missing important things like that. Some people

I'm not saying people who take their time don't make mistakes, but it's more likely that one who works really fast and doesn't take time to think will make more mistakes than one who plans things out and works at a moderate pace.
              YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
              X