Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning sectional cables

Hello,
    Had a lot of debris in my 1 1/4" and 5/8" cables. Came up with a way to use the pressure washer without getting a bath.
    1 1/2 tee exhausts into the upside down barrel.
    Attached Files

Re: Cleaning sectional cables

Very nice contraption. My cables usually stay pretty clean but if they don't, I'll remember this. Thanks.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

yes, but is it CODE approved,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Why did you paint your cable blue?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i leave my sectional cables in cage, was them, then after 4 hrs, i spray them with ridgid cable inhibitor------smells good and stops rusting

for my drum, i spin the drum while spraying inside, after it dries out, i replace drain plug and spray with inhibitor---works good

Comment

Whats the cable inhibitor?

Is it a spray/aerosol or an oil?

I use Snake Oil brand but its a PIA so I don't do it often.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Nice ideal.Why the blue paint?
              Kenneth Collier
              Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
              Jackson, MS 39206
              (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
              drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

I use WD40 on my cables. Just buy it in the 1 gal containers.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That's what I've been doing for years, WD-40 by the gallon.

If anyone has noticed though, they have weakened their product from years ago.

Still works quite well.

I take my cable into an area storm drain here at the shop and point the jetter's head at the cable at the mouth of the drain.

If you have a steady hand, it works quite well but I really need to make a jig that I can insert into the 4" drain and make the setup hands free and keep from splattering all over everything.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    That's what I've been doing for years, WD-40 by the gallon.

If anyone has noticed though, they have weakened their product from years ago.

Still works quite well.

I take my cable into an area storm drain here at the shop and point the jetter's head at the cable at the mouth of the drain.

If you have a steady hand, it works quite well but I really need to make a jig that I can insert into the 4" drain and make the setup hands free and keep from splattering all over everything.
                    I did not notice,how did you find out?
                    Kenneth Collier
                    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                    Jackson, MS 39206
                    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Why did you paint your cable blue?
                      I didn't paint the cables. The barrel is made of blue plastic.
                      I see some Case backhoe paint on the barrel. Apparently I use this barrel to paint a backhoe part.
                      Best Wishes, Dennis...
                      www.dennishoover.com

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

You seem to be the only other cleaner that gets a lot of trash in the open wind cables. I had 45ft of 1 1/4" cable packed solid with roots and paper products. I had just done a 150 ft job and decided I needed to try something different to get the trash out of the cables. I hope to refine this so I can use it in the shop during winter months. It can spray slightly out either end but most of the time it sprayes into the barrel.
                        Best Wishes, Dennis....
                        www.dennishoover.com

Comment

typically it's only the 5/8'' cable that has grease on it. the 7/8'' and 1.25'' have roots and those i use my own pin key to pluck out.

the roots will easily unwind and shred.

when it's too bad with grease, i take my pressure washer to the entire cage so as not to handle the individual cables.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            typically it's only the 5/8'' cable that has grease on it. the 7/8'' and 1.25'' have roots and those i use my own pin key to pluck out.

the roots will easily unwind and shred.

when it's too bad with grease, i take my pressure washer to the entire cage so as not to handle the individual cables.

rick.
                            Hello Rick,
                            I usually don't have a grease problem. I have cold water running while I'm running the machines. The grease is broken into chunks and the cold water washes the chucks away. If your cables are greasy, you're probably using hot water?
                            The debris I encounter is all inside the cable and it would take all day to pick it clean. I'll have to send you a picture next time it happens. Its not often but brutal when it does happen.
                            Best, Dennis....
                            www.dennishoover.com

Comment

Don't you guys run water in a tub or shower or whatever when you're pulling the cable back?
                              Or is this a sectional thing? Just wondering.

Comment

Working...
                              X