X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eateries’ grease may be monitored

This article was in the Chattanooga newspaper today. Thought you might be interested.

Fort Oglethorpe officials will vote tonight on an ordinance that will clear the “F.O.G.” out of the city’s sewer lines, acting City Manager Ron Goulart said.

“We have been dealing with sewer backup, and a lot of times we find out it is due to grease clogging the sewer lines,” Mr. Goulart said.

“We use cameras (in the lines), and you can actually see the grease where it builds up and forms a blockage, a lot like what you do to your arteries with fats,” he said.

City Council members last month passed on first reading the fats, oils and grease, or F.O.G., ordinance, designed to enforce and monitor use of grease traps in businesses that prepare and serve food.

Residents also contribute to the problem if they pour grease into their household drains, Mr. Goulart said. The second reading of the ordinance is set for tonight.

Restaurant owners were notified by mail of the pending changes, which include regular inspections every three months. The business owners must maintain documentation to show the grease traps are cleaned routinely.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: Eateries’ grease may be monitored

Ironically, here in Orange county, in recent years, the county decided to eliminate the requirement for commercial grease interceptors and clairifiers.

I can see however in the near future a war on fat--in all forms. Not good for the drain cleaning industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
      I can see however in the near future a war on fat--in all forms. Not good for the drain cleaning industry.
      I'd call it job security.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If they carckdown on the grease trap monitoring another niche will open for the cleaning of grease traps, the only real con to this that I see is the HIGH cost of a vacuum truck! and dump fees!

Comment

Duh! I glossed over the article quickly. I thought they are wanting monitor FOG going down the drains, not the just on pumping the grease pits. Lots of citys already do that. No big deal.

Comment

Working...
          X