Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Catching Mice on the Roof.

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    Wise words

That was that guy's last words on this forum, and I've heard he was well respected on this site.
    He got injured picking up a dirty toilet.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      Mainline stoppage in a poorly constructed home. No cleanout access anywhere, no basement. Toilet and bathtub full of sewage. Climbed on up on the roof with the K-60 Impressionator and went out 150 feet from the main vent.
      Pulled back hordes of "tiny white mice." Nasty little buggers. I usually never go on roofs, especially being used to rely on a drum machine for years. It was actually not bad at all. I think I'd much rather go on a roof rather than ever pull a nasty sewage-filled toilet ever again.

Plumber Rick will be so proud...
      The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        Wise words

That was that guy's last words on this forum, and I've heard he was well respected on this site.
        He was a good guy. But I think the word mole was found somewhere amongst his last words We often wonder about him.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I'm in the no roofs crowd. But as I've said before, I think its a personal preferance/location/situation thing.

For me, roofs suck because
          - There is snow on the roof 9mo of the year, and 4'-6' of it around the sides of the house, and even during summer, most lots here are on a steep slope, and most houses are two storey + more from the slope of the lot, and when you get 350" of snow a year, you build houses with steep roofs
          - I am often working in a 3+ story building
          - Many houses here have only a 2" vent, and the vents often wind around in attic spaces; no guarantees you'll even get to the clog from the roof
          - I'm used to pulling toilets... so it's backed up so what? trip the lever on the tub, vac the stool and dump it in the tub with the rest of the sewage already in there, pull the stool. Back to backs don't scare me, after you've nailed a couple and know what you are looking for you can feel them.

I do think that I may be so dialed into NOT using the roof that I sometimes fail to see when it might be the best access... but those times are few. There just aren't very many single storey ranches here.

I can think of one back to back kitchen sink in a condo I did where the roof might have been better; back to back at 15' either way from the traps, after 2 90's and 2 45's from either end... ended up with a camera in one unit and the hose in the other watching it make the drop. Took 3 hours to nail it. Had to pull the camera pushrod all the way around the building, out one window and in the next, to the unit I was jetting from so I could watch. But even in this case, I was on the second floor of a 4 storey building with a steep hip roof. I'd have needed a 40' ladder just to get to the eaves, which I don't have such a ladder and which I doubt it would have been much quicker anyway.

If I lived somewhere where I did alot of single storey houses that had simple 4" vent stacks, I'd probably scoff at pulling toilets.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            ON my first roof job with the K60 those sections kept flying around trying to rip off the 3tab thats when I started using a stick of abs and my ridgid radio to keep it straight. I didnt buy a guide hose cuz Rick said he never used one.
            never say never. rarely use one, but never on a roof. just inside with 7/8'' and around plants and ivy.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I rarely use a guide hose on the roof. Makes the job go much quicker.
            you got that right

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X