What would you buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you buy?

well, if you're never planning on doing any kind of root cleaning and plan to use it on 3'' and smaller, then the k-50 with 5/8'' and a drum adapter for the small stuff.

but in the long run a k-39 for the small stuff, and k-60 with 5/8'' and 7/8'' for all the rest of it

wait till you read my new k-60 story that i'll post tonight

that's 4- k's for me

i win.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      Gee...I wonder who that friend is?

I see less than half a dozen requests for drains in a year, usually while already on the job.

The K-39 af seems perfect, but I want the option to change heads depending on application.

For example, a CI or galvy drain thats corroded shut seems like it would wreck a bulb (coil) head.

A grease blockage might require something wider to do more than just push a hole through the grease.

A large machine is out of the question because the room it requires wouldn't justify using it several times a year.

I'll admit, I'm on the verge of boycotting Ridgid for teaching my customers how to plumb , but am considering the 39-a...if I have any customers left.
      duck, i'll give you a heads up.

drain cleaning and related camera work now makes up better than 75% of my income.

you're missing out on a golden & brown opportunity.

you will get more work than you can handle as you know plumbing better than any drain cleaner only

adam same goes for you too

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Won't use it much? I would go with the little harbor freight machine. It's cheep. easy to carry. and can clean lav and kitchen drains. A Buddy of mine has one and it's working fine for him. He doesn't do many drains either, but he is happy he doesn't have to turn them down now.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
          I think Ridgid needs to make a drum attachment for the K-60. But until then, a K-50 would be the way to start.
          They do. Plumbers Crack figured out the k50 drum attachment will fit on the k60. He posted a pic of it. It's very heavy.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was in lowes the other day and saw the cobra top snake, holy crap that thing is soooo big how can anyone even thing about running it with 1 person? To market something like that for homeowners? Why would someone put good r&d money into something like that?

http://www.cobraus.com/product.asp?S...&Search=Search

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              well, if you're never planning on doing any kind of root cleaning and plan to use it on 3'' and smaller, then the k-50 with 5/8'' and a drum adapter for the small stuff.

but in the long run a k-39 for the small stuff, and k-60 with 5/8'' and 7/8'' for all the rest of it

wait till you read my new k-60 story that i'll post tonight

that's 4- k's for me

i win.

rick.
              spaz

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                duck, i'll give you a heads up.

drain cleaning and related camera work now makes up better than 75% of my income.

you're missing out on a golden & brown opportunity.

you will get more work than you can handle as you know plumbing better than any drain cleaner only

adam same goes for you too

rick.
                This is yet one more of those things that you guys out west differ from us.

In one word I'd have to sum it with "Orangeburg".

I think the quality & type of piping material used historically reflects the demand for drain cleaning in any given area.

Investing less than $300 is no biggy when I can make that back in a few calls over the course of a year.

Investing thousands or even tens of thousands in a market that doesn't have the demand could render me bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  This is yet one more of those things that you guys out west differ from us.

In one word I'd have to sum it with "Orangeburg".

I think the quality & type of piping material used historically reflects the demand for drain cleaning in any given area.

Investing less than $300 is no biggy when I can make that back in a few calls over the course of a year.

Investing thousands or even tens of thousands in a market that doesn't have the demand could render me bankrupt.
                  You mean to tell us that there is not a lot of rotting cast Iron in the ground that needs to be replaced, cleaned etc.? Orangeburg pipe isnt the only pipe that deteriorates. I can understand balking at the idea of a camera and locators, that can come later, but snakes are moneymakers. Start with a supervee or k-39 then buy as you need them, a mainline machine or whatever. You dont NEED cameras/locators but they are indeed good to have, the idea is to not turn away work, if a customer calls for a stopped up basin, why would you turn it away, the minute you do they are calling someone else, instead of looking at it as a lost call you need to look at it as a lost customer, lost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. The fact is not having the proper tools and equipment may cost more than having them in the first place!

Comment

I am going to make two informed guesses:
                    1)The reason Mark doesn't get drain calls is because he doesn't advertise or otherwise market that he does drain-work. I didn't get any drain-calls either, until I started advertising that I offer those services, most plumbers don't have drain equipment, so people assume you don't do it unless you advertise it.
                    2)There is plenty of drain work in massachusetts, I am sure there are other companies making good money cleaning drains.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

On the other hand, drain-cleaning is not for everyone. If its just not your thing, then investing in equipment would be a waste. I happen to enjoy it and like Plumber Rick has done, I plan on expanding that part of my services and make it a focus of my business.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        1)The reason Mark doesn't get drain calls is because he doesn't advertise or otherwise market that he does drain-work. I didn't get any drain-calls either, until I started advertising that I offer those services, most plumbers don't have drain equipment, so people assume you don't do it unless you advertise it.
                        2)There is plenty of drain work in Massachusetts, I am sure there are other companies making good money cleaning drains.
                        I'm not sure what the business conditions are where Duck is but I can tell you what we use to battle. When I first started out there were a ton of "drain cleaning" companies who were so cheap it was hard to compete against them. These were the days when everyone either owned a carpet cleaning business or a drain cleaning business. At the time, with a $500 investment and a little on the job training you could open either business and neither required a license (not sure they do today). As such we would not take standard drain cleaning jobs from cold calls. We limited our drain cleaning to referrals from drain cleaning companies and for our existing customers. Still even with limiting what we were willing to do it seemed the more drain cleaning work we turned down the more new calls we would get to clean drains.

Eventually I removed the restrictions on drain cleaning and found drain cleaning brought in a bunch of non-related work. This concept is easy to over look. However, there is a potential you will get additional non-related work for each job you do whether it be a drain cleaning or a complete repipe.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I just googled: drain-cleaning, boston. And a ton of companies came up, some had websites with pricing and it wasn't all that cheap. Many just did drain-cleaning only. There is definitely a healthy market out there. It might be oversaturated though. Don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Hypothetical situation; Let's say I have a friend(hey, it could happen) that is an excellent plumber but has little drain cleaning experience. He want's to buy a snake for inside lines but only one snake. He says he would only use a snake a couple times a month so it would sit alot. What should he buy? I know this thread has beaten to death but maybe my friend will see other opinions.

My choice would be a k50 with a drum attachment.
                            Assuming the largest line will be a 2", this is a no-brainer really. He is going to want something to be able to run from either a trap, vent, c/o, etc. basically a "tub gun". I think you guys call it a k-39. Personally, my choice is a Milwaukee drain cleaner with 50' of 5/16" cable. It's compact, versatile, holds cable to clean most residential 2" lines. In 16 years, I'm on my second one. Just bought it the other day. Little over $200 on ebay, new. I threw the crap cable that it came with in the trash and installed mine. Put it a 5 gallon bucket with one of those canvas bucket tool holders and you're good to go. I think I'd commit suicide if I didn't have this machine. It's by far my most used "inside" machine. In case of limited access (like a single waste, disposer only sink), I even take it go on the roof.

Comment

It just seems weird to me that some plumbers don't even own a snake. One of my first power tools was a snake. It was a great way to make beer money on the side as an apprentice. I think it was a Black & Decker? top snake. Man that thing was a POC. Owning one just seems to go hand in hand with plumbing repairs.

We don't advertise drain cleaning and even up to a few months ago shyed away from it. Too many times the K-50 on my truck wasn't quite man enough to clear a stoppage. Then it was a 30 min ride (both ways) back to the shop to load up the K-1500 and 3 cages of cable.

It became much easier to just pick up the phone and call a buddy that does nothing but drain cleaning and say "make it go away, I've got other calls to run".

I haven't talked to him since I put the K-60 on the truck. I wonder what he doing now?

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                                2)There is plenty of drain work in massachusetts, I am sure there are other companies making good money cleaning drains.
                                This is what I keep getting told.Once the community starts finding out I do it they will start calling.

Comment

Working...
                                X