X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you buy?

Hypothetical situation; Let's say I have a friend(hey, it could happen) that is an excellent plumber but has little drain cleaning experience. He want's to buy a snake for inside lines but only one snake. He says he would only use a snake a couple times a month so it would sit alot. What should he buy? I know this thread has beaten to death but maybe my friend will see other opinions.

My choice would be a k50 with a drum attachment.
    Last edited by gear junkie; 09-08-2008, 10:32 PM.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: What would you buy?

I agree 100% on the K-50.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Harbor Freight drum machine for $200

Why?

Because on the job training results in tool destruction, especially cablin' drains.

I'm starting to think you all get paid ridgid points every time somebody mentions a K in their statement.

K?

Wow, I got two, I'm special now.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Myself,having no drain experience.Envision myself(if service for me is gods plan) going with the K-39 first to do the trap arms and their hair.Then in a few months if I need a K-60 to stay in service I will do so.We have a lot of 4" clay that needs roots removed.And I hate turning away work.

EDIT:
        That's 2-K's for me Dunbar.
        PUT ME DOWN FOR TWENTY!!!
        Last edited by drtyhands; 09-08-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Myself,having no drain experience.Envision myself(if service for me is gods plan) going with the K-39 first to do the trap arms and their hair.Then in a few months if I need a K-60 to stay in service I will do so.We have a lot of 4" clay that needs roots removed.And I hate turning away work.

EDIT:
          That's 2-K's for me Dunbar.
          PUT ME DOWN FOR TWENTY!!!
          If you want to give it a go without an initial outlay of cash I have some equipment you can borrow.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            If you want to give it a go without an initial outlay of cash I have some equipment you can borrow.

Mark
            I'll remember that Mark,Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
              It don't get any better than that. Go for it!
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Now you've done it Jim. Here comes the K-60 posse.

J.C.

Comment

Gee...I wonder who that friend is?

I see less than half a dozen requests for drains in a year, usually while already on the job.

The K-39 af seems perfect, but I want the option to change heads depending on application.

For example, a CI or galvy drain thats corroded shut seems like it would wreck a bulb (coil) head.

A grease blockage might require something wider to do more than just push a hole through the grease.

A large machine is out of the question because the room it requires wouldn't justify using it several times a year.

I'll admit, I'm on the verge of boycotting Ridgid for teaching my customers how to plumb , but am considering the 39-a...if I have any customers left.

Comment

Duck...getting his Plumbdog on.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      Gee...I wonder who that friend is?

I see less than half a dozen requests for drains in a year, usually while already on the job.

The K-39 af seems perfect, but I want the option to change heads depending on application.

For example, a CI or galvy drain thats corroded shut seems like it would wreck a bulb (coil) head.

A grease blockage might require something wider to do more than just push a hole through the grease.

A large machine is out of the question because the room it requires wouldn't justify using it several times a year.

I'll admit, I'm on the verge of boycotting Ridgid for teaching my customers how to plumb , but am considering the 39-a...if I have any customers left.
                      I think you will find if you gets some equipment you will use it.

Mark

Comment

I don't think you can do it with one machine.

But if you had to choose, I think you'd want to start with a topsnake. You're more likely to get basin and tub drains, with the occasional floor drain, while you're doing other plumbing, especially if you aren't advertising drain cleaning.

The K-60 is a good all-around machine, but the K-50 isn't big enough for the tough stuff. But the K-60 is a bit large for those undersink jobs, IMHO.

I have used the General SuperVee a few times and it's much like my old Marco, but better built. It's pricey compared to some others, but I think the General cable is a darned good one. I've busted through some tight spots and nary a kink with the 1/4" cable while going through a basin trap. With both the 1/4" and 3/8" cable, you can probably do kitchens with it, too. Many of the older ones are just 1-1/2"

If your friend didn't want to really do drain cleaning, I wouldn't spend the money. You have to generate enough money with the equipment to keep it in repair while making something for yourself.

Comment

Hey,I googled super vee to see what the term "top snake" refered to,guess it's a Vee,39,40,or anything that you work with through the trap.
                          Anywho,Google showed some kind of general drill stand.
                          Do they work?I know there may be some distance increased from the tool end to the pipe.But is it still manageable.Does Ridgid make one for theirs?

Comment

As someone who's whole business is cleaning drains, the idea of just having one machine is just not possible. I have 3 snakes, one with two sizes cable, 2 jetters, and 4 cameras (if you count the micro) on the van as I write this, and I'd like to have a trailer jetter to pull behind it.

That said, the one machine I can do the most with is the little jetter. If I was going to trade the van in for a moped and could only carry one tool, that would be it.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

What make and model is your little jetter Ace?
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X