Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overhead drain contraption

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Overhead drain contraption

    To be able to run water and cable at the same through overheads. The down pipe directs the water into a trash bin, rather than on the operator and the floor. Especially handy for sub level areas of apt. bldgs. and parking structures where the drains are accessible. Note the no hubs for adjustment. Would also work to contain water while using a jetter. I like to cable the lines before jetting though.
    Would work on 3 and 4" too, just need a reducer.
    Wacha think?


    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Overhead drain contraption

    Nice idea. I may make one of those.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Overhead drain contraption

      Looks good.How long have you been using this setup.
      Kenneth Collier
      Maintenance and Sewer

      P.O. Box 9441
      Jackson, MS 39206
      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
      drainman881999@yahoo.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Overhead drain contraption

        The only thing I would change is to put a 16th bend on the end where the cable goes or water can comeout there. The little lip will keep water draining where it needs to go.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Overhead drain contraption

          Since it looks like you are creating a cross-connection what are you using to protect from cross-contamination?

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Overhead drain contraption

            Good point
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Overhead drain contraption

              I just cant figure out where this would be needed as most C/O on an over head drain are at a combo. The end of the combo should be a C/O with a fixture draining down the combo. If your worried about run-off out the C/O you can always install a bell-reducer with a fernco at the C/O
              Either way you shouldn't run water till you think it`s cleared
              That a big ugly cross-contamination and a big "NO"NO"
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Overhead drain contraption

                TECHNICALLY you are hooking up domestic water directly to a waste like and that is illegal as well as possibly unsanitary.... what is the difference between this and shoving a hose down a cleanout? there is no solid connection from the drain to the domestic. You can alleviate this problem by installing a vacuum breaker on the sillcock before the hose or you really should hook up a portable RPZ. These are all technicallities though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Overhead drain contraption

                  Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                  I just cant figure out where this would be needed as most C/O on an over head drain are at a combo. The end of the combo should be a C/O with a fixture draining down the combo. If your worried about run-off out the C/O you can always install a bell-reducer with a fernco at the C/O
                  Either way you shouldn't run water till you think it`s cleared
                  That a big ugly cross-contamination and a big "NO"NO"
                  None of the lines we were cleaning ever backed up. It was preventive maintenance. And yes water was only after cabling each line.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Overhead drain contraption

                    Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    TECHNICALLY you are hooking up domestic water directly to a waste like and that is illegal as well as possibly unsanitary.... what is the difference between this and shoving a hose down a cleanout? there is no solid connection from the drain to the domestic. You can alleviate this problem by installing a vacuum breaker on the sillcock before the hose or you really should hook up a portable RPZ. These are all technicallities though.
                    Yeah I know, it's "not to code". But there was a vacuum breaker already in place and the hose was brand new so it hadn't seen any action either.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Overhead drain contraption

                      Well what the hell are you going to do set up an RPZ just for snaking the line? You can probably hook up a check valve on the end of the hose that you connect and that will help too!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Overhead drain contraption

                        My water tastes funny today

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Overhead drain contraption

                          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Since it looks like you are creating a cross-connection what are you using to protect from cross-contamination?

                          Mark


                          That's the very first thing I see, being a licensed backflow tester.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Overhead drain contraption

                            Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                            TECHNICALLY you are hooking up domestic water directly to a waste like and that is illegal as well as possibly unsanitary.... what is the difference between this and shoving a hose down a cleanout? there is no solid connection from the drain to the domestic. You can alleviate this problem by installing a vacuum breaker on the sillcock before the hose or you really should hook up a portable RPZ. These are all technicallities though.
                            Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                            Well what the hell are you going to do set up an RPZ just for snaking the line? You can probably hook up a check valve on the end of the hose that you connect and that will help too!
                            As an Engineer are you allowed to make suggestions like this? I checked my USC list and could not find an approved RP which you could move from one property to the other.

                            Mark




                            I'm just pulling your chain.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Overhead drain contraption

                              Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                              That's the very first thing I see, being a licensed backflow tester.
                              It's a curse we testers all share.

                              Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X