Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Got the bad sewer from hell today Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Got the bad sewer from hell today

    Got called to a slow washing machine drain line today that the landlord suspected roots in the main. Spoke with him a lot before going learned a recent line was put in for the washing machine, I thought it was the real problem. Post and piller house small to no crawl space with rats, looked in the 2" (for 4 feet) line that went to 1.5" with my camera totally plugged with what looked like paper products. Cleared it with the k-60, then sent the camera in and saw the main was in fact clogged (hence the reason the branch was clogged) No clean out for the main, the W/C was 4 bolt on a bad floor. Decided the vent was better (single story) Man what a bad decision!
    Ran out many times always pulling back lots of roots was a struggle from 45' to my ultimate amount of k-60 7/8 cable of 150' line never cleared. I have to return tomorrow with the general (that has over 200' cable) and start with the W/C off and go from there. I am pissed cuz lately the k-60 has cleared some really bad roots that the drum machine could not do and now I have to bring it out to save my ***. Cant wait to clear the line so I can see with the camera what is wrong with the line. I can't let it win. And yes I flat rated the job Grrrrrrr but he is willing to pay more if I can get it to flow. I am such a sucker on these hard ones.
    Seattle Drain Service

  • #2
    Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

    What general machine are you going to use?
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

      It sounds like they need a new sewerline. Or at least install a cleanout in the yard and have at it with a K-1500.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

        I'M GUESSING MAXI ROOTER! Best machine in THE WORLD! You say why? Because I own one!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

          Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          It sounds like they need a new sewerline. Or at least install a cleanout in the yard and have at it with a K-1500.
          Exactly, forget the general. Install a cleanout and use the spiral blade. Don't you have a warthog?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

            The Machine I will bring is my General (Maxi Rooter) And yes with the amount of roots I brought out they need a new sewer line but I specialize in making bunk sewers flow to people that won't buy one until it's too late! Might be that time but I have always hated somebody coming along when I said it was toast and cleaning it for several years and proved me wrong so now I try to do the same. (LoL I hate me)
            Last edited by Cuda; 09-16-2008, 12:32 AM.
            Seattle Drain Service

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

              Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Exactly, forget the general. Install a cleanout and use the spiral blade. Don't you have a warthog?
              Yea I used the spiral and every cutter I own, Yes I have the jetter but this line is to backed up to use it, I usually want to poke a hole in the line with a snake then jet it. Today I even got better movement using reverse like Rick mentioned the other day, I have done it in the past but always fear getting locked up when it is time to back out. But even reverse didn't help me, just got farther out with no success. I hope tomorrow that the length of run is what stopped me.
              Seattle Drain Service

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

                Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                I'M GUESSING MAXI ROOTER! Best machine in THE WORLD! You say why? Because I own one!
                Nice looking machine. Similar to the k7500.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

                  Install cleanout. Need before and after pics.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

                    Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                    Got called to a slow washing machine drain line today that the landlord suspected roots in the main. Spoke with him a lot before going learned a recent line was put in for the washing machine, I thought it was the real problem. Post and piller house small to no crawl space with rats, looked in the 2" (for 4 feet) line that went to 1.5" with my camera totally plugged with what looked like paper products. Cleared it with the k-60, then sent the camera in and saw the main was in fact clogged (hence the reason the branch was clogged) No clean out for the main, the W/C was 4 bolt on a bad floor. Decided the vent was better (single story) Man what a bad decision!
                    Ran out many times always pulling back lots of roots was a struggle from 45' to my ultimate amount of k-60 7/8 cable of 150' line never cleared. I have to return tomorrow with the general (that has over 200' cable) and start with the W/C off and go from there. I am pissed cuz lately the k-60 has cleared some really bad roots that the drum machine could not do and now I have to bring it out to save my ***. Cant wait to clear the line so I can see with the camera what is wrong with the line. I can't let it win. And yes I flat rated the job Grrrrrrr but he is willing to pay more IF I can get it to flow. I am such a sucker on these hard ones.

                    Ahh, I had to keyword this because I would of gotten no farther than that first word, landlord and ditched the call right there and then.


                    The following keywords such as "rats" and pay more "if" are part of the problems dealing with landlords that think it's a game of who makes money and who doesn't.

                    These are jobs you dig in deep, don't really make money but feel self-obligated to go the distance.

                    A couple years from now the memory won't hurt as bad. Trust me, I have a few where my worst move was turning the key over in the truck on those days.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

                      THATS WHY I NEVER EVER FLAT RATE SEWER JOBS,
                      ON MAIN LINES I GIVE PRICE FOR FIRST 2 HOURS ONLY, ANYTHING AFTER THAT IS T & M
                      FOR HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES ! ! ! INCLUDING
                      DIG UPS ETC,
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

                        What happened?
                        They need a new sewerline. If you get it clear Cuda, then I can see how they might want to wait. You should AT LEAST install a cleanout outside, no matter what.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

                          Wow job is still ongoing, couldn't get a side sewer card on the place till late in the day so I was snaking blind, ran out 180' of cable a few times came back clean so the k-60 already cleared the roots yesterday and the length of line turned out to only be 125' or so which I already had done with the k-60. Bottom line the line is still holding water. One thing is my camera when pushed out to use as a sonde so I could verify the line goes about 3' past the house wall and stops cold. So I told the guy that is the spot the cleanout needs to go. Weird thing is the snake comes back clean as a whistle now no muck nothing and a 3" head with 3/4" cable to the street should have made the line flow even if it is broken or offset. I will take pictures and end this story tomorrow. I really want to know what it is. My luck something stupid like drywall mud or cement down the drain by a former renter.
                          Seattle Drain Service

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

                            Thanks for the update, what's a side sewer card? Have you pulled a manhole cover?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Got the bad sewer from hell today

                              Yeah, what's a side sewer card? Permit maybe? And what kind of pipe?

                              Thanks.

                              J.C.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X