Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are going to buy a jetter need some help?

We are going to buy a jetter need some input from the guys who use them everyday?
    1. Want a portable cart type.
    2. Usually 4" lines. Maybe an occasional 5", 6" or and 8" line. Had a 6" line the other day plugged with grease and paper towels 160' out.
    3. Would like to be able to cut roots with it also.
    4. Foot valve?
    5. Handi reel?
    6. What nozzles?
    7. PSI and GPM?

Thinking along the lines of 4000 PSI and 6 GPM

Thanx in advance guys.
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Re: We are going to buy a jetter need some help?

General has an 8gpm jetter that has a 12 gal holding tank. Couple with with a warthog and you'll cut through anything. But it is extremely heavy, I've heard it's like moving around an engine block. General also makes a 5.5 gpm jetter, no holding tank, that can be used with a warthog. Both are in the $6-7k range. Another option is to buy the ridgid kj-3000 and use the root ranger but I've heard it doesn't do well in 8".

Call Water Cannon and they can make you a jetter for your specs and they sell all the assessories you mentioned.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

6 gpm at 4000psi will cut roots. It's not a no brainer at flows this low. You will need a proper nozzle for roots (3/8 warthog or rootranger) and will need to experiment with technique and nozzle orifice sizing and will likely have to camera to do a proper job on roots at this flow.

If you are going 8gpm, you might as well go 12. 6 is pretty much the limit of what you will be able to run without a tank. If you are taking the hit on space and size to go with a tank, you pretty much have a dedicated jetting vehicle and you might as well spend a little more to go 12 for the extra capability; you can always dial it down when you don't need it all.

If you are not doing roots often and can count on your people to camera and be sure they've done a thorough job and are willing to accept that root jobs will take longer because of this AND this trade off is worth the expense and portability gains, 6gpm can be made to work on most problems in up to 8".
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i wouldnt buy any general junk----buy a ridgid 3000 or larger if needed--

general isnt popular in these woods, as u get what u pay for---junk

do ur research 1st----dont just buy-----

look at general like a kohler---pain in the a

Comment

General has been in the jetter game longer than ridgid and has more offerings on smaller to mid size jetters. I have never dealt with general on warranty stuff all my general stuff has never gone bad so except for cables and I have the toilet auger also I have no complaints with the equipment. I have more Ridgid stuff but General has been around for a while also.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
            i wouldnt buy any general junk----buy a ridgid 3000 or larger if needed--

general isnt popular in these woods, as u get what u pay for---junk

do ur research 1st----dont just buy-----

look at general like a kohler---pain in the a
            This seems a little inaccurate. I've spoken to locals that have used the General cart jetter with no complaints. You're opinion is too biased in this case. You're in Ridgids backyard and they even give you tools for nothing to play with like the MicroExplorer.

Stood behind you on Kohler somewhat, not on this though.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-22-2008, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Well, honestly, I don't think anyone makes their own pumps or motors. Any jetter is basically a pressure washer, which is just somebody's pump bolted to somebody else's motor with somebody else's nameplate on the total. What you buy is maybe a few specific features good for jetting, a layout you like, the convienience of not having to spec it and gather the bits and build a frame and bolt it together, and customer support. Those are the criteria on which to base a brand selection.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

We have a KJ-3000 that we use for the small stuff. Make sure you make up an extra length of hose to run from the machine to the reel, also get the foot pedal. Unless you buy an electric machine you will need this so you can leave the power unit outside when doing an inside job. We have yet to use the root ranger that it came with, we prefer to use our eel sectional cables on the small stuff and have a combo truck for the larger pipe. Also make sure the tip/nozzle is properly sized for the pressure/gpm output or else you will be wasting your time.

Comment

I was the one in the add that mustang unites put in the cleaner a few years back testing there jetter I find it works good for soft clogs but not much good for roots, I bought one of there root cutting heads and was not much good but I never had much trouble with there machines. I stopped using it because the last hose I bought the outer shell just pealed away, a lot of money down the drain so look at the hose for it when you buy.( I know, I know) from my other posts You Know I am never satisfied there is always' something I don't like about some brand of equipment that is why I mix brands or make my own but I tell it like I see it someone might see it deferent and it might be right for them everyone needs something a little deferent for the type of work they do.

Comment

One of the big reasons that I am waiting to buy a jetter is that I have been spoiled at my former company with a $50,000 U.S. jetting trailer set-up. We're talking 4000 PSI at 18 GPM!!! The real deal!
                    No way I am buying something that puts out 6 gpm and trying to cut roots with it, thats like using a K-38o on main-lines, the old saying, "bringing a knife to a gun-fight."

I am waiting until I can buy somthing with balls. WHen it comes to jetters, just like sewer-cameras, its not worth it to buy something cheap, its better to go with the real deal! Just my opinion.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

They now make a small 'economy' series trailer-pulled jetter that looks awesome.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I love the big ones too. Years ago we had the gas powered roders for main lines and we also had to use them gas powered ones in house basements with all the windows open using a 20 ft spring cable when the electric cleaners come out we were the first to get one and when the truck mounted jetters came along I was in love. of course before the gas ones we use to use a factory made set that were hinged wooden poles with cutters screwed on the end so I thought the gas was a wonder at the time, but I love them big jetters

Comment

sizing a jetter is like sizing a snake.

you don't bring a 4000# 18 gpm machine out to play with the typical household drains.

it's a big waste and a potential flood when you use a big machine on small pipe with fixtures connected in the line.

plus towing a big machine to a little job is a waste of money.

i think a good starter jetter is 4gpm at 3000#.

this will do most 4'' and smaller pipe.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

ACE SEWER said:
                            If you are going 8gpm, you might as well go 12. 6 is pretty much the limit of what you will be able to run without a tank. If you are taking the hit on space and size to go with a tank, you pretty much have a dedicated jetting vehicle and you might as well spend a little more to go 12 for the extra capability; you can always dial it down when you don't need it all.

If you used a suction hose for water supply that wouldn't collapse. Do you think you could increase GPM?
                            Thanks, Dennis....
                            Last edited by Dennis/Ohio; 01-27-2009, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis/Ohio View Post
                              ACE SEWER said:

If you used a suction hose for water supply that wouldn't collapse. Do you think you could increase GPM?
                              Thanks, Dennis....
                              I've never tried. Don't really know but I doubt it would change things a whole lot... atmospheric pressure is about 15psi most places and you are not going to get all of that, so how much more flow are you going to get thru a hose bib by putting another 10 psi or so behind it?

Comment

Working...
                              X