jetter pipe pull prep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetter pipe pull prep

i have an interesting area drain job that is a 78' run between the catch basin and the sump ejector pit.
    the problem is the 4'' thin wall abs pipe was falling apart and the line was full of sand and roots. pieces of pipe were also destroyed.

after attempting to get a jetter to clear the line, i determined that the line was history. so in a final attempt to get the 78' from basin to basin i managed to get through and then strung a nylon rope back as i pulled the jetter hose out.

this line will be used to fish in a steel cable that will then be used to pull back the pipe bursting chain and head.

all this is an attempt to save 78' of concrete and access to 7 parking garages.

the pipe bursting will follow once the job gets priced out by the original contractor.

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: jetter pipe pull prep

How do you setup your pipe pulling equipment so you can get the pull pressure in that small hole?

"When the original contractor prices it out."????? You're not the original contractor? Just curious.

Nice pics and a good solution as opposed to removing/replacing concrete.

J.C.

Comment

Cool I gotta check that out one day Rick. I have seen a bot of trenchless stuff but never pipe bursting yet. Mostly HDD for new stuff across roads and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        How do you setup your pipe pulling equipment so you can get the pull pressure in that small hole?

"When the original contractor prices it out."????? You're not the original contractor? Just curious.

Nice pics and a good solution as opposed to removing/replacing concrete.

J.C.
        Depends on the price.This one looks easy.I'd make everyone park on the street if they had to come home for lunch during the one day it took me to do it.

There is one thing though.
        In order for me to do it I would have to get an inspection.Costing myself and the customer another day(with bachoe) if I cannot get my request for an afternoon inspection.
        No one will be smart enough to think if they need a permit to pull the system.Even if they do he can tell the inspector after video the standing water from flat or back grading pipe is due to existing conditions.

One last thing...
        Some of these guys charge three times as much to pull as compared to digging it up.
        You are going to get this done in one day.
        Are you going to charge hourly or flat rate on this one Rick...Don't lie.

ADAM
        .....Even on a Sunday
        Last edited by drtyhands; 09-21-2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Good points. They won't even allow a permitted pipe pull here last I checked. Not even with a camera afterwards.

Still wondering about his setup.

J.C.

Comment

Good points. They won't even allow a permitted pipe pull here last I checked. Not even with a camera afterwards.

Still wondering about his setup.

J.C.
            I wonder why.I love the pipe,it is so tough you can beat on it with a sledge hammer.If it's camera'd and proven to have fall it's an awesome installation that an inspector should be happy to put his name on.
            I just know(human nature) that a lot of plumbers don't/WON'T research to see if a line is free from drops or sags.And they are certainly not going to want to video afterwards if they hadn't done it before the pull.

Comment

Hey Rick there is another picture of you in this set too.What's up?

Comment

the job would involve a 2' x 4' hole 6'' deeper than the pipe. so the 30'' deep pipe would require a 36'' deep hole. this is the hole for the hydraulic pulling equipment.

the launch ditch would require a 12'' wide x 24'' long hole 12'' deep.
                this is to allow the hdpe to flex into the ditch.

prior to any equipment put into the ditch. i would core drill a 5'' hole into the pit and and sump. this will allow for the pipe to enter into each concrete basin so it will be 100% replaced when finished.

being that this is an outside area drain. i don't think a permit is required for this work.

the original contractor will package my work and his work into 1 contract price and present it to the board.

other than a 10 square feet of concrete cut out, the job should allow for easy access to the garages during the job.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Gotcha'. Please post more pics when you do the job. Take Mrs. Joey with you so it gets done right.

J.C.

Comment

No question Joey knows her stuff.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Gotcha'. Please post more pics when you do the job. Take Mrs. Joey with you so it gets done right.

J.C.
                      You have a good memory.

Comment

Maybe the primer is having some sort of reverse effect on me.

J.C.

Comment

Take Mrs. Joey with you so it gets done right.

J.C.
                          Poor Rick isn't gonna be able to live that down.

Reminds me of the time a competitor pipe pulling machine company came out to demo their cable version.

Apparently the machine was loaded onto the truck fully assembled. Rick took it apart to put in the ditch. The 2 sales reps kept looking at all the pieces and weren't putting it back together. I asked what was wrong and they said they never had anyone take it apart and they didn't know how to get it back together.

The pieces were too heavy for me, so I just told them where/how to get it back together as they lifted everything.

When Rick called the manager in the morning to complain about these sales guys he already heard the story from his guys. He said he explained to them that they should not have been so proud to run back and tell him that a girl put their own equipment back together for them.

We ran into them at the trade show a few months later. I recognized them immediately and they didn't know where they knew me from until I asked them if they needed help putting their equipment together
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for posting info on trenchless pipe replacement. I am hoping you will post photos which explain the process and the final results. I was in a mediation today where they showed a DVD of a line they had used trenchless on and I was not impressed. I imagine knowing which lines will benefit from trenchless is one of the skills needed.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

As long as has uniform grade Rick's got er down.Er-Um..I mean..well, as long as joey shows him where to put his equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X