X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sectional cable, when to replace?

When or do you replace your sectional cable?

Today I was rodding a line with the K-1500. Put four sections in, pulled three sections out.

We have had our sectional cables a long time (2-5yrs.) and they seem to be in good condition. Today the little tit broke and my cable stayed in the main. It was not a good feeling.

I said my little prayer to the Man upstairs while kneeling over the clean out.
    With the help of a retriever head, a piece of copper, some angle iron and a little wire, I was able to get the cable out.

Usually we replace cables when they get a kink or the spring & tit does not work but today it just broke off. I am wondering if it would be good to replace all of the cables as a preventive measure to lower the chances of this happening again.

I am NOT wanting to causing a drum vs. sectional debate. I use both weekly. Just wondered if you guys replace sectional cables to prevent this type of situation.

Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Sectional cable, when to replace?

i would think in 5 years they deserve a break

i keep 2- 90 cages in the truck. i rotate and keep the couplings oiled.

so far so good. but i don't have 5 years on them yet

look for flats on the cable, especially at any kink that will rub more. that's the place they will break'

i don't typically use a rear hose, so i do get more wear from the concrete.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I had a cable seperate in a line once. Not at the tit either. Right in the middle, and caught on nothing. If it were me, and they were used at least once a day...I would replace evey 2 years. $600 well spent for piece of mind. Some may find it extreme, but to each his own.

Comment

You should turn your cable into a "P.R." auger. Hot commodity these days.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What tips are there for getting a broken cable out?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            You should turn your cable into a "P.R." auger. Hot commodity these days.
            would that be a reverse wound super auger? also know as a

plumber rick auger

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

should try the "type L connector"
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                would that be a reverse wound super auger? also know as a

plumber rick auger

rick.
                That's right.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                  the retriever is the proper tool.

the key is to hook it at the end and not the middle.

a camera would be ideal to snag it.

if it broke off due to heavy roots, you probably need to run a second cable down to cut it loose from the roots.

the real key is to not allow it to break

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

J.C.
                    Buy a camera

I`m pretty good at pulling broken cables
                    This guy thought he could clear a main line with a K-380 from the box store
                    Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM.
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

i'm nearing 3 years on my 7/8s open winds and 5/8s. ready to replace and keep the others for backups. the tits are starting to need more WD-40 to spring open. so far no loss and only 1 broken 5/8, but it was an easy retrieval.

150 feet of 7/8 and 80 feet of 5/6. i guess i've been pretty lucky

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Well it matters on how much acid (drano) that cable came in contact with sectional or drum. I believe the metal is damaged as it begins to turn white or chaulky, then the metal is likely to fail because it is compromised.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

J.C.
                          Keep in mind, from the c/o to the bottom of the pipe is 5'.

I used the retriever head, but since the cable is wound tightly at the end, I caught the cable in the last 1/3rd.

Obviously a person cannot pull the retriever head, and a cable out of a 3" tee running back wards so I had to disengage the head from the lost cable when I seen it at the c/o.

Then I used a piece of angle iron to to wedge between the cable and kept pushing it, inch by inch to the main until I seen the cutter head. I then used a piece of 1/2" copper bent on the end to prop the cutter head up. I grabbed my angle iron, put a small lasso on the end made of bailing wire and hooked the head and was able to pull it out.

It was a butt clenching experience as I could not get the retriever head in due to the amount of roots still in the line. So I had to cut roots with another head until I was at the assumed point of my lost cable, then I was able to use the retriever head.

I hope the boss junks those cables.
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

if there is a tee or wye in the line. you better hook the very end or you'll never get it to follow the turn.

i once had a miserable line that was full of concrete. i ended up pushing the cable all the way to the manhole and taking the cutter off.

glad a had a couple hundred extra feet.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

[QUOTE=Tyman;177543][FONT="Tahoma"]When or do you replace your sectional cable?

Today I was rodding a line with the K-1500. Put four sections in, pulled three sections out.

We have had our sectional cables a long time (2-5yrs.) and they seem to be in good condition. Today the little tit broke and my cable stayed in the main. It was not a good feeling.

I've noticed the locking pin protrudes more than normal before they come completely out. The pin probaby didn't break but went into female end. Female end is drilled through (pin is not trapped). If you have trouble unlocking a connection, the pin maybe working its way out and the pin is beyond key hole?

My cable baskets are numbered. My oldest cable goes in first. When I replace a cable, I move all the cables forward and the new cable goes in the last basket.

Hope that helps, Dennis......
                              www.dennishoover.com

Comment

Working...
                              X