X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pack up ypur stuff?

use a string to guide/influence the direction of the end.
    I use it on the camera fairly often but never thought of using it with a snake for some reason. Good tip Vince!
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

if every thing else fails do things completely passant. Drop head run machine backwards till you get it going the right way. I had a job where the customer had to work so she left a key hidden for me I got the drain cleaned cleaned up and left. The customer called me up and told me I didn't need to come the drain must have opened while he was at work so he didn't need me anymore I told him I was out and cleaned it that morning. He told me he didn't see any mess or any other sign of it being worked on so I must have got the wrong house. I told him It was backed up when I got there I used an auger to open it then I cleaned up he told me he knew better then that You cant get it that clean.He hung up and ignored the bill. Now I leave whatever I pull out of the line in a big baggies so they see what I pulled out and leave my card and a message. I have also had trouble when a renter calls me and I don't know it is a rental house the land lord wont pay because he didn't call he has his Owen man, and that I was trespassing If I wanted to try to send him a bill he would prosecute. So there are a lot of ways to get beat out of your money.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
        if every thing else fails do things completely passant. Drop head run machine backwards till you get it going the right way. I had a job where the customer had to work so she left a key hidden for me I got the drain cleaned cleaned up and left. The customer called me up and told me I didn't need to come the drain must have opened while he was at work so he didn't need me anymore I told him I was out and cleaned it that morning. He told me he didn't see any mess or any other sign of it being worked on so I must have got the wrong house. I told him It was backed up when I got there I used an auger to open it then I cleaned up he told me he knew better then that You cant get it that clean.He hung up and ignored the bill. Now I leave whatever I pull out of the line in a big baggies so they see what I pulled out and leave my card and a message. I have also had trouble when a renter calls me and I don't know it is a rental house the land lord wont pay because he didn't call he has his Owen man, and that I was trespassing If I wanted to try to send him a bill he would prosecute. So there are a lot of ways to get beat out of your money.

You need to run your business tighter dude. I have NEVER been stiffed. I am C.O.D. period. I collect money immediately after doing the work. If they can't meet me at the jobsite, I get a credit card number over the phone.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

carl, it would be nice to collect a check on every job. but in reality if you do any work for management or hoa, then typically you get paid in 15-30 days.

at any give time, i'm sitting on 30 invoices. nice thing is when i go out of town, i have a steady flow of money coming in the mail

in all the years, i only had 1 person stiff me.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            You need to run your business tighter dude. I have NEVER been stiffed. I am C.O.D. period. I collect money immediately after doing the work. If they can't meet me at the jobsite, I get a credit card number over the phone.
            I'm with Rick on this one and often waited for money. If anything I would get a little nervous when my receivables were too low as I could predict them coming in whether the phone was ringing or not. The work I do now sometimes takes up to a year to be paid.

Mark
            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-05-2008, 11:57 PM.
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              carl, it would be nice to collect a check on every job. but in reality if you do any work for management or hoa, then typically you get paid in 15-30 days.

at any give time, i'm sitting on 30 invoices. nice thing is when i go out of town, i have a steady flow of money coming in the mail

in all the years, i only had 1 person stiff me.

rick.
              If I am working with an established client or commercial entity, then I agree. I have those accounts as well. But virtually all my regular clients and new customers are C.O.D. I intend to keep it that way.
              Last edited by Service Guy; 10-05-2008, 11:57 PM.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Re: pack up ypur stuff? FOR DUNBAR

STIFFED IN 1969 $25.00 Bet He remembers Me. New jeep cj-5 Myers snow plow. Winchester Mass. Have 25, or so driveways I plow each storm. Money area. New customer
                verbal agress $25 per pass for the coming winter. Large horseshoe driveway. also have driveway across street. expensive new home BIG Italian Guy. Go to collect after ist large storm,next day. " what are You trying to pull Kid!, I shoveled it all Myself!,BEAT IT! couple of weeks later BIG BLIZZARD. 3 am plowed His neighbors snow ,all into the street. Then plow all this into his drive ,HUGE PILE, I'M COOKIN NOW! RAM,PACK INTO ICE DAM. LIGHTS COME ON. Time to get outa dodge. Never heard a word! still feels GREAT!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                  Ok.... I give.Whats the string trick??
                  rarely do i use a drain cleaner up here but i do work on frozen water and sewer sevices.

i usually use 1/8' plastic tubing and an electricians fish tape for thawing these. that's only if i'm dealing with a freeze up that is located in the house. any freeze up beyond that requires the big guns.

if i need to negotiate a bend in the drainage line but can't, i tie a string to either the end of the thaw tube or the fish tape. i push the tape, thaw tube, and string to the fitting. now is the tricky part but it can be mastered quite quickly. push the tool while gently pulling on the string. then release the string while continuing to push the tool.

it works for me.

Comment

That's great! Back in Boston My 400 amp welder thawed services just DUCKY!!

GOT METAL SERVICE? WELDER = WATER GOT PEX = ICE CUBES
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                      last night about 7:00 p.m. i was called to a customers house the homeowner said he put some apples down the garbage disposal and it wouldnt drain i was hoping just to take apart the cont. waste and be out of there. i pulled the trap and it is just packed with minced apple. the plug is down farther so i run the auto spin down the 1 1/2" galvanized on a dirty arm but it keeps going up the vent. so the i run the k380 with drop head auger, straight auger, just the cable no luck. i cant run through the roof vent because it doesnt go straight out it ties in with a nearby bathroom that is draining fine. about 30 minutes in the customer who is being very nice asked if i want a beer i told him no thank you because i had 1 more job to do after his. i try the drain a few more times no luck. so i tell him that i am giong to have to go under the house and cut a peice of the drain out. and i fully explained the situation to him. he says "no pack up your stuff and leave! all i did was put some apples down the drain its not that big of deal, i'll just call someone out here tomorrow" i have 2 questions has a homeowner ever done this to you? and how do you get a cable to go down in that situation?
                      (my response) Fine, I didn't want to work on your stupid stink pipe anyway. Here's your bill.

Comment

Re: pack up ypur stuff? FOR DUNBAR

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        STIFFED IN 1969 $25.00 Bet He remembers Me. New jeep cj-5 Myers snow plow. Winchester Mass. Have 25, or so driveways I plow each storm. Money area. New customer
                        verbal agress $25 per pass for the coming winter. Large horseshoe driveway. also have driveway across street. expensive new home BIG Italian Guy. Go to collect after ist large storm,next day. " what are You trying to pull Kid!, I shoveled it all Myself!,BEAT IT! couple of weeks later BIG BLIZZARD. 3 am plowed His neighbors snow ,all into the street. Then plow all this into his drive ,HUGE PILE, I'M COOKIN NOW! RAM,PACK INTO ICE DAM. LIGHTS COME ON. Time to get outa dodge. Never heard a word! still feels GREAT!

That would of been fun riding in the truck with you the whole time laughing like crazy. Probably the best $25 dollars earned in payback.

If I think someone is going to try and skirt me on a call, I tell them we're charging for our time and they know what it is before we get there.

Being authoritative over the phone is very effective, entering their front door at 6'6" 370 pounds seals the deal that payment will be made.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar, I'd sure than hell pay You! LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X