X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pack up ypur stuff?

last night about 7:00 p.m. i was called to a customers house the homeowner said he put some apples down the garbage disposal and it wouldnt drain i was hoping just to take apart the cont. waste and be out of there. i pulled the trap and it is just packed with minced apple. the plug is down farther so i run the auto spin down the 1 1/2" galvanized on a dirty arm but it keeps going up the vent. so the i run the k380 with drop head auger, straight auger, just the cable no luck. i cant run through the roof vent because it doesnt go straight out it ties in with a nearby bathroom that is draining fine. about 30 minutes in the customer who is being very nice asked if i want a beer i told him no thank you because i had 1 more job to do after his. i try the drain a few more times no luck. so i tell him that i am giong to have to go under the house and cut a peice of the drain out. and i fully explained the situation to him. he says "no pack up your stuff and leave! all i did was put some apples down the drain its not that big of deal, i'll just call someone out here tomorrow" i have 2 questions has a homeowner ever done this to you? and how do you get a cable to go down in that situation?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: pack up ypur stuff?

actually, i'm the one who says this to them

there have been a times when the lines are installed without the proper fixture fitting and the snake will not go downstream. it goes into the other fixture either back to back or 20' away in another unit

experience tells me that there is no simple way to snake it and if the owner doesn't want to cut in a proper c/o. then it's time for me to leave and not waste anymore time.

a snake will just follow the path of least resistance. trying to get it to go opposite that path, in the blind is not a simple task.

being a plumber that has installed the dwv for more years than joey's been alive, i already know what i'm up against. the mystery is gone and it's pretty easy to tell the customer the options.

fortunately, the vent works most of the time. but there are still times that nothing but a c/o will work.

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Bill the dumb mother Pucker.
      I have had it happen once. Different circumstances
      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
      1-920-284-7471

Comment

When I want it to go down not up the vent I push in a long narrow file I have to make it go down if a drop head doesn't work.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
          Bill the dumb mother Pucker.
          I have had it happen once. Different circumstances
          I absolutely have to assume he left with a check.

I've had only one customer pull this on me, he had a leak and couldn't find where it was.
          I tell him I have to open the wall behind the vanity because due to the consistant nature of the leak I was pretty sure it wasn't a drain.

He told me the same thing, he wanted to have someone else come out and give him an alternative opinion...I told him I was charging for my time regardless.
          Once he realized he was going to pay more for someone else to come out and come to the same conclusion he agreed to have me finish it up...some people really think it's ok to continue to shop around even after you've arrived.

The leak turned out to be a galvy nipple that had rusted through on a cast copper elbow.

Comment

I`m the guy that always get the call after the other guy couldn't get it. I always tell em I dont know if I can do it any better but I`ll give it a try.
            So far with a little work I can always get the snake to go down but it`s tricky to know when to push. It comes in time, trying different ways you`ll learn a hand full of tricks that will help. I`ve had em where a san-T is in upside down and gotten past it before. Just gotta work at it and come up with Ideas that will work for you.
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Don't take it hard. You were honest with good intentions. He's just pissed at himself.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

thanks guys, i figured his wife probably told him not to put the apples down it in the first place and he was probably getting an i told you so from her. ya win some ya lose some and thats what those little red flags are for when they cant get ahold of someone else in a few years
                Mike
                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                  thanks guys, i figured his wife probably told him not to put the apples down it in the first place and he was probably getting an i told you so from her. ya win some ya lose some and thats what those little red flags are for when they cant get ahold of someone else in a few years
                  Try not to let it bother you.

Signed,
                  "The Hippocrite"

Comment

If I was in haycad's situation, given how tired I was when it happened, I would probably of let loose "What did you just ****ing say?" in a very alerting and angry voice with the attempt to stare right through him while standing up and walking towards him.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar, You sure You wern't in the Corps ?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Dunbar, You sure You wern't in the Corps ?

LOL!

No, but I'd be a hell of a motivational speaker "WHEN CUSTOMERS ATTACK"
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I use 3/8" mytana cable with a a bend at the end of the cable and a single blade.
                          I will push my cable in,bend pointing down to the spot when its a problem.
                          Up here in the great white north I only get pushed up the vent when the line is frozen.

Comment

don't forget the string trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                              don't forget the string trick.
                              Ok.... I give.Whats the string trick??

Comment

Working...
                              X