No announcement yet.

Gutter drain questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutter drain questions

Here in Seattle it actually does rain a lot in the rainy season, and the last few years is actually getting worse in terms of rainfall amount. Many people here are really worried about their finished basements. I have a few questions that I have always guessed on really because when I was an apprentice doing rough ins I never did any gutter drains the GC always did them we ran in the water supply and did the side sewer to the street.

1. I usually know if the gutter line is going to the sewer if it is trapped.

2.Drain fields? What is a good measure assuming the house has 5 gallons a minute at the hose bib to when it will back up?

3. How many years should a person get before they need the drain field and line replaced? How many feet should it run out away from the foundation?

4. Most I see are not connected that are over 40 years old just seperate lines.

5. I can clear roots in these lines till I hit solid dirt but I never know if I am really at dirt or more roots or Mud build up.

6.How do you pull mud out of a line that just ends in gravel.

7. Or any great way to determine if the lines actually go to the Storm Sewer
    Last edited by Cuda; 10-02-2008, 11:36 PM. Reason: 1 more thing
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Gutter drain questions

We do alot of outside gutter and leader drain work in our area. The first thing we do is camera and locate to determine condition and outflow location. Alot of the older homes in the area had the leaders tied into the footing drains. If we find this we remove them and setup their own system to keep the additional water from the footing. We find drywells also if they have failed we will change to a new system there is no way to clean them. You can not hook up a gutter system here to the sewer they smoke test the sewers to find the sump pump hookups and the old gutter system if done. We always try to run a leader drain system to daylight/open exit or storm water catch basin. Sometimes this is not possible due to ground conditions or no storm basin. If we have to go with with an underground system we calculate the gallons per 1 inch of rain fall from the roof. We will double or triple this amount to get the gallons. This determines system size weather its one leader into a flo well or the whole house into a large system. The further the better from the house for location, we try to stay 15 to 20 feet from the house. If the soil is sandy then we try to go further. Always use T-wyes instead of T-s We go to jobs and find clogged T-s all the time. T-s make future inspections a chore.