X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 strikes your out

so a long time (7years) customer calls me in a panic today.

she was out of the country 10 days ago when her house sitter had a main line stoppage. the sitter didn't know who to call so she went to the neighbors house for some advise.

they recommended a drain co.

well today makes their 3rd. trip out in 10 days

the owner called in a panic and i advised her to get the info from the drain guy.

turns out he walks away when she ask about his findings and blade size.

this is a straight 4'' line 87' long with roots at 3 locations. like i said i have a track record and a 2001 video

81' and bingo. any guesses what i used

k-60 with 3.5'' root saw.

i guess when you go fishing for roots with a small drum machine and a 2'' cutter, you're not going to get it done.

if they used the proper equipment, there would not be a third time

sure i have a track record on this job, but there are plenty of first time jobs i do with no track record.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: 3 strikes your out

Amen, brother! I have always said: if you are going to be a professional drain-cleaner and charge good money for it...THEN DO A PROFESSIONAL JOB AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Wait is this the customer I heard you tell you couldn't make it to today?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Wait is this the customer I heard you tell you couldn't make it to today?

Mark
        Oh you so busted him! Yes, it is
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Did the other guy charge 3 times ? LOL some would here.

Some of the other small companies like myself have a tail light warranty.

I will admit I have had a few call backs, and yes all 3 were my fault. Rushing on the job trying to keep all my clients happy.

Sorry for hijacking you post.
          Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
          1-920-284-7471

Comment

Another example of a handyman.Pretty damned sad!

Comment

rick,

i we ever have root problem up here i'm going to insist we get you in.

all expenses paid of course.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                so a long time (7years) customer calls me in a panic today.

she was out of the country 10 days ago when her house sitter had a main line stoppage. the sitter didn't know who to call so she went to the neighbors house for some advise.

they recommended a drain co.

well today makes their 3rd. trip out in 10 days

the owner called in a panic and i advised her to get the info from the drain guy.

turns out he walks away when she ask about his findings and blade size.

this is a straight 4'' line 87' long with roots at 3 locations. like i said i have a track record and a 2001 video

81' and bingo. any guesses what i used

k-60 with 3.5'' root saw.

i guess when you go fishing for roots with a small drum machine and a 2'' cutter, you're not going to get it done.

if they used the proper equipment, there would not be a third time

sure i have a track record on this job, but there are plenty of first time jobs i do with no track record.

rick.
                I noticed you had already camered this sewer years before and knew where the roots were getting in its always a gamble if you just put a larger cutter in and it gets stuck which happened to me many years ago with a H cutter and could not retreive it as the sewer had colapsed and had to dig it up and renew it so I made a point of alawys useing a funnel auger or a 75mm shark tooth cutter as they would compress with pulled out but now with the camera I put the straight auger in first to get rid of the water in the pipe and then put the camera down to see the problem and if it is just tree roots the 100mm sharktooth cutter knowing I will not get caught and will be able to get to the next job on time.
                When a client phones to have their sewer cleaned I give them the option of having it cleaned propertly with the camera or cheaply without and explain the pros and cons and 9/10 times they go with the camera.

Tony

Tony

Comment

yes tony. having a video of the line makes for an easy and safe way to know the proper cutter and proper distance to clean. plus it allows you to concentrate the cleaning efforts on the root of the problem. the rest of the line is just exercise in getting the cable down the line.

i also keep a running record of all the sewer jobs i do. this allows me to have real notes for every existing job i've done. a laptop is a very valuable tool

i typically never camera a sewer on a call, unless i was sent there by another contractor to do so.

people don't want to spend the money just to see what's going on without needing to.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    yes tony. having a video of the line makes for an easy and safe way to know the proper cutter and proper distance to clean. plus it allows you to concentrate the cleaning efforts on the root of the problem. the rest of the line is just exercise in getting the cable down the line.

i also keep a running record of all the sewer jobs i do. this allows me to have real notes for every existing job i've done. a laptop is a very valuable tool

i typically never camera a sewer on a call, unless i was sent there by another contractor to do so.

people don't want to spend the money just to see what's going on without needing to.

rick.
                    Hi Rick

What sort of data base or system do you use to keep a track of your jobs and do you generate invoices from this.

Thanks

Simon

Comment

i've been using "my invoices & estimates deluxe" by avanquest for the last 8 years.

it's changed a little over the years, but it has always integrated with the older versions.

the price is approx. $40.00 and is very simple to learn and operate.

there are many reports that it will generate including your year to date sales.

the database on the new version allows you to find by job, address, phone number, first or last name, p.o.#.

the best part is i have 8 years of information right at my fingertips in my truck. along with a portable printer, i basically have my portable office with me.

you can either download or sample or order right from their site.

www.avanquestusa.com

rick.

http://www.avanquest.com/USA/work/sm..._Deluxe_9.html
                      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-05-2008, 11:35 AM. Reason: link
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X