X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K 400 / Decent Homeowner machine?

Hey everyone I'm new here. I have owned a K-40 sink machine for a while and have used it many times to unclog sink drains at my Apts. It works great for me. I now need something for light mainline 4" uncloging. I love the autofeed on my K-40 and the K-400 has a autofeed also but without the hose type attachment. I might use the new K-400 about 5 or 6 times a year. Is it a decent machine? Thanks

Re: K 400 / Decent Homeowner machine?

it should be fine for you for regular stoppages.

typical stoppages would be a 2'' clean out for a kitchen or laundry line.
    3'' for branch lines.
    4'' for paper stoppages/ soft stoppages.

make sure you don't attempt to clear a root stoppage. if you hit roots, stop and call a pro or get a larger machine.

keep your cable dry/ clean and well oiled.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

soft stoppages = maybe
      need more info? What type of pipes, how long of run? Where is your access point? What is your history with the drain have you been calling a drain cleaner for the main in the past and now you are thinking of doing it yourself?
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

No roots. I would definitely call a pro for that. It's always soft stopages. I have been able to get to them with my small machine. Sometimes it's my 3" mainline that I have to clear. Length to stoppage is usually 20' or so. Last time I put a kink in the K-40 line. So I think it's time to get a bigger machine for the mainline easy to get to stuff. I have good access to this one particular once a year stoppage. Thats mainly why I want a bigger machine. Thanks for the input.

Comment

One more Question. Should I get 3/8" or 1/2" cable? I am getting the auto feed option. Thanks

Comment

i would start with 1/2''. it's your only real chance at getting 3-4'' stoppages.

it will also do 2'' without traps.

a 3/8'' x 75' spare cable is under $100.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick has covered this pretty well, listen to what he has wrote, get the 1/2 based on what you have described and buy the 3/8 to use on smaller lines later. But never try to use this system on roots you will ruin your cable.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys. I ordered it with 1/2" cable. All my stoppages have been soft/ paper. I just got tired of paying the drain guy $100 to unclog a sink and $200+ for main line soft stoppages. Plus I love buying new tools. Thanks again.

Comment

Hope you find a big ROOT
                  I have found em with my 380

Signed
                  Just another drain guy
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 10-14-2008, 02:45 PM.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I hope not. That would be like hooking a big Thresher Shark when all I wanted was a nice Yellowtail for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      Hope you find a big ROOT
                      I have found em with my 380

Signed
                      Just another drain guy
                      Well Ridgid will sell a lot of cables then when people surf the net and see this and think they can achieve the same results. How about a warning here All Clear Like I have been doing this for a living and know when to stop to not hurt my equipment.

And why did you use the 380 anyway? Small crawlspace? A drain you have done before? A small downspout? Tell the whole story.
                      Last edited by Cuda; 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I was told by the HO it was just a soft stoppage (T/P) they never had a root problem. The HO came to the shop to pay the bill and say that those roots didn't come from their sewer. I explained that they did in fact come from their sewer as I`m not in the habit of bring my own roots with me and dumping them down peoples sewers on a Sunday. I advised them that the next time it stops up they might want to call someone else as I`m sure I`ll be to busy to play the debate game with em again.

The other reason was I did it from the W/C flange and there was no room in the bathroom so the 380 was all I could fit in the mess I had to work in. Being how it was only a T/P stoppage the 380 should have done the job but NO it was a root stoppage and I craped my pants when I say the root ball stuck in the 90 bend when I was pulling out. Took about 1/2 an hour to free it up and get it out.

warning
                        Do not try this if your a DIYer only a seasoned pro can make this work!

Is that better?
                        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 10-15-2008, 01:20 PM.
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X