X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BROKEN CABLES

HELP! My plumbing technicians are continually breaking cables. What are they doing wrong? How do you suggest extending the life of a cable?

Lori,I have been using drain cleaners for many years and have not broken a cable to date.My secret is not to keep driving the cable when it starts to binde up in the blockage, but to remove the cable and inspect the attachment for evidence of what is causing the blockage.Then if the attachment is not suitable I will fit the straight auger and keep trying untit the blockage lets the water go then I put the cutter through

Comment

I've never broken a cable but maybe you could move up to a larger size.

Comment

I have ery seldom broken a cable unless it was older and stressed. I have had the connecting ends come loose and screw out of the cable. Usually if my cable break they have been stuck tight either in septic tanks of outside of the sewer pipe.

Comment

I started plumbing 15 years ago with my grandfather and I swear he has the first machine built. I have found over the years to keep the cable out of a bind when possible. Usually if you back out a little and then advance you can go on. Anyway when I was younger I was impatient, only when my grandfather made me pay to replace the broken cable was when I became more careful. I would let your guys know how much it is costing you.

Comment

If you are using the cables on a large drain you could go to a water jet system which i think is much more effecient than augering. It doesn't just open it up but it rinses out all the sludge also.

Comment

Lori, I agree with superflush,like a lot of things, "slow and steady" is usually much better than "wham bam". Right?

Comment

Alright... I'll probably sound like an idiot answering this because I'm not a plumber. But I was talking with one of the guys in our tech services about your problem and he said that cables will often break when they are not cleaned after use. If the cables aren't cleaned they will become brittle from the corrosive liquids they are covered in after use. Along with forcing the cables instead of backing them out it seems like this could be part of the problem.

Just thought I'd throw it in since I asked one of our techies about it. Josh

Comment

I clean and oil the cable after use, it helps to keep the strength of the cable. Along with everyone else's suggestions; if you force it you break it, patience and back off.

Comment

Unless you have a run of bad luck it sounds as if the technicians are trying to force the cable through the clog. While drain cleaning equipment are simple to use, it takes time to experience in which to know when to send more cable down the line. Also, try changing cables. I find Ridgid more flexible but then they kink easier. I used General on equipment for my newer technicians.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh:
                      Alright... I'll probably sound like an idiot answering this because I'm not a plumber. But I was talking with one of the guys in our tech services about your problem and he said that cables will often break when they are not cleaned after use. If the cables aren't cleaned they will become brittle from the corrosive liquids they are covered in after use. Along with forcing the cables instead of backing them out it seems like this could be part of the problem.

Just thought I'd throw it in since I asked one of our techies about it. Josh
                      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put away one of our snakes that we dont use much last year and teh mechanic never told me that he just ran it through a drain FULL of globber. we needless to say that snake snapped while i was putting it in the drum just last weekend it was so brittle. From now on I WILL rinse off to rinse off the cables

Comment

If you guys would use the K-1500 or at least the K-60sp you might not have these problems. Open ended cables are much tougher than closed but if you continue to have this problem just call me I will travel. Call Dependable sewer and drain.
                        Johnny Run-A-Sewer!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lori, you might check to see if your technicians are running your machines in reverse rather than in the forward mode. I had the same problem and found my techs operating the equipment incorrectly, causing the cables to kink inside the drum and eventually ruining the cables.

Comment

usually a 2' can be cleanned with a 3/8 or 1/2 in cable, with a clean out.
                            if you are working on a 3' 4' you have to use a 5/8 or larger cable no mater what the plug is.if you have roots you have to use blades,never a bare cable or you will get stuck.ole the rooter man.ps cables wear and flip when under stress,note use your old motor oil put it in a large pan roll up the cable and dip over night and hang to dry .

Comment

I've found that if you're too far away from the drain entrance with the cable it has the opportunity to wrap around itself, kink, and eventually break. Sometimes it's difficult due to the location of some drains, but you should try to get as close as possible.
                              Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Comment

Working...
                              X