Call a drain-cleaner FIRST.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call a drain-cleaner FIRST.

So I get a call thursday from a lady fishing for prices to unclog her kitchen drain...I give here a quote and she says thank you and hangs up...ok, fine I'm busy anyway.

So, Saturday rolls around and I get a call from her boyfriend. He says he tried to get it with a 25' snake but it didn't work. So I go out there and what is sitting on the back deck but a Ridgid Autospin!
    It turns out the kitchen drain has been backed up for four days!!! The heroic DIYer boyfriend went out to Home Depot and dropped $160 to buy this auto-spin and now here he is paying me to do the job. I broke out the K-380 with 75' of 3/8" cable and went through soft grease. The first pass....nada, still plugged. I realize that I'm dealing with soft grease and I really worked the cable on the second pass...got it. After clearing it I poured some 'grease miracle' liquid down there and told them to put a cup down once/month.

Anyway, these people didn't want to pay a Pro to clean their drain, so they dropped $160 on a machine they used ONCE and they'll never need again...not only that but they waited FOUR DAYS to get it resolved.

The moral of the story: CALL A PRO DRAIN-CLEANER, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON DRAIN-O OR BUYING SOME DIYer machine AT HOME CHEAPO. BECAUSE I SEE IT ALL THE TIME...MOST PEOPLE END UP HAVING TO CALL A PRO ANYWAY!
    If they had called me right away they would have saved $160 and they would have had a working kitchen sink immediately, instead of waiting 4 days.
    Last edited by Service Guy; 10-12-2008, 10:57 PM.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: Call a drain-cleaner FIRST.

yes i always wondered the same thing, usually getting a call after 3 or 4 days up to a week or two later
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Jerry, what I don't get is that they paid MORE for the machine than what I quoted them to clean a kitchen drain! They felt it was a better deal to buy a machine that turned out to be useless for $160, than to pay me $120 to clean the drain. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, the guy learned something and he was very thankful to me after I was done. He said he'd call me right away next time!

Comment

this is true, but then you have to look at the dozens of rental snakes they have in their rental department.

not every person renting a snake is going to be unsuccessful.

i have a homeowner that actually owns a pretty decent 1/2'' general drum machine for his own house. i still go there periodically to clean a line that he can't get.

for all the jobs we do for people that try first. imagine all the jobs we don't get because they were successful.

i also do some work for management companies that will only call me when their guys fail. if they have them on their payroll, why pay me for the simple stuff?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick I have no problem with DIYers who actually know what they are doing. I am a DIYer myself! I am talking about the people who have NO IDEA what they are doing but insist on trying to DIY instead of calling a pro.

For example, I put my own 6' tall, 140' long privacy fence in last year. I called a fence company to get a rough estimate by phone. But I realized that with my construction experience, it would be a piece of cake and I would save over $1000 in labor. I had that fence done in 2 days by myself. The neighbors were amazed....but that is because I actually know what I am doing as I am a professional mechanic with 13 years combined experience in the carpentry/plumbing trade.

When it comes to servicing my vehicles transmission, brakes, etc...I have no idea what I am doing (just like the people in my above example with the auto-spin.) Therefore I make the intelligent decision and I go to a PRO Auto mechanic.

Comment

What was your cutter of choice? Spiral cutter? Grease cutter?
            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i also do some work for management companies that will only call me when their guys fail. if they have them on their payroll, why pay me for the simple stuff?

rick.
              i have 4 of those with about 13 properties between them. 2 out of the 4 call me AFTER their guys fail or make a huge mess. the other 2 call me IMMEDIATELY and i try to get there as fast as i can. it's good being the hero

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                What was your cutter of choice? Spiral cutter? Grease cutter?
                I usually use the 4-blade cutter for grease. This started as an 1.5" line, so I used I had to use a bulb head to maneuver the bends.

Comment

The local bowling alley had a slow triple sink so they rented a drum machine. The guy said he had a 20 feet of cable in and could not get the drain open and now the rental machine was stuck. The grease trap was only 6 feet away. He said he had not cleaned it in 10 years. Needless to say he paid for the rental on the machine,a service call, and for new baffles and screen in the trap. I love it when a 5 dollar ten foot snake is sitting on the basement floor.

Comment

Working...
                  X