No announcement yet.

rates for sewer and drain work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson learned. New homeowner, boxes in basement, water coming up from water drain, called roto rooter. Quite honestly given the time and circumstance i did not have a whole lot of time to screw around. I am active duty, just moved my wife back due to an upcoming transfer, had to be back in California, posession date after closing changed, i was supposed to have 2 weeks, i had 3 days. Someone asked about the rates, and maybe I spoke out of turn. I just felt like what I saw done was not worth what I paid. I probably called the wrong company.

I was joking about the use of my electricity.
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

THANK'S SPACE. FOLLOW SOME OF THE ADVISE OTHERS HAVE GIVEN AND YOU SHOULD BE IN GOOD SHAPE IN THE FUTURE.
      RICK

Comment

Plumber Rick

I was stationed just outside of LA. EVERYTHING is expensive out there

Comment

Space, you wrote:

"I feel that for what was involved for my particular situation, I was overcharged, and anyone who has had the same experience as I was overcharged. As I said it took him longer to set up and load up than it did to do the job.

Now if he was there 2-3-4-hrs ok"
          ----------------------------------------------

Setting up and loading up are as much a part of the job as running the machine. So is driving to and from your residence. He has 2 hours invested in your job. In the service industries any part of an hour should be billed as a full hour or overhead costs simply will not be fully met. 30K trucks, tools, insurances, labor, administration, operating costs and down time HAVE to be factored in. And if the owner doesnt figure in enough extra for himself to make a nice living also then he just cheats himself and every other company owner who works 12 hours a day to run an 8 hour a day company.

The outfit you mentioned treats their people worse than the excrement that fellow had to work in. The guy who worked in your house probably made about 50 bucks before taxes and expenses. I hope you gave that poor SOB a tip.

Like you said, you were stationed out there and everything is expensive, its just as expensive for the civilian workforce, more so because they dont have commissaries and allowances. (You deserve them for what you do, so please dont get me wrong about that) But people have to charge enough to pay for everything plus make a profit.

My point is that I believe you recieved a fair price, though the poor fellow who actually did the work did not get nearly what he deserved for what he has to do.

No, you did not burn any bridges, just be sure to ask about pricing policies before asking people to drive all the way to your home. I know you won't have me out becasuse I purposely try to price myself out of that particular market.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Yeah it was lesson learned after calling roto rooter. never again. No i did not tip him, sorry.

The price just shocked me for the amount of work that was done. Granted that travel time and such is all part of the job, no argument there, And if you say I was given a fair price despite what the guy actually doing the job ended up making, i will leave it at that.

And I mean no disrespect to anyone who is a tradesman plumber (or any other trade for that matter) as there are things in that field that I would not be able to do and would have someone out. But anyone who is half way handy, able bodied, and has a little common sense, is capable of renting the machine and running their line. (provided they have an adequate and accessable clean out, the means to transport the machine to and from the rental center, etc). Most places that rent these machines have people that are knowledgable in how to run them and will explain it to you if you have never seen it done. Yes you are taking a risk that something can go wrong and you will end up calling someone anyway, possibly to fix a cracked pipe, stack, clean out, cable breaking off in the line, etc. All possibilities. But the procedure provided it is a straight shot with an accessable clean out is going to have the same result no matter if it is you or someone else running the machine. This particular task is can be accomplished by a diy'r at a fraction of the cost.

I guess rather than saying i felt i was overcharged and implying that plumbers were crooks (i do apologize if it came off that way, it was not meant that way), I should have said that a homeowner that has a grasp of plumbing concepts can accomplish this task at a fraction of the cost. As you said, you price yourself out of that market because it is a task you do not want to do. I can't blame you. I don't do it for FUN!

Comment

No problem, all you have to know is that it runs downhill, and don't chew your fingernails.

Contrary to popular belief, payday is not always on Friday and some people have pretty good bosses.
              Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Yeah that about sums it up!

Comment

Space....You complained that you were overcharged or "ripped off."....Did you even bother to ask for a price before you gave the go ahead to come out.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
                    JTANGE, THE BEST IS NOT ALWAYS THE MOST PROFITABLE.
                    I CHARGE BY THE HOUR PLUS A CHARGE FOR THE EQUIPTMENT. HAND GUN, SEWER MACHINE, JETTER, CAMERA.
                    CHARGING BY THE FOOT IS TYPICALLY A SCAM. NOBODY CAN JUSTIFY THE LENGTH OF THEIR CLEANING OR THE NECESSITY. EVERYTIME I'VE SEEN A BILL FROM ANOTHER CO. THAT CHARGES BY THE FOOT. IT'S A RIP OFF. IF THEY HAVE 150' ON THE MACHINE THAT'S WHAT THEY CHARGE FOR. EVEN THOUGH THE MAIN IS AT 80' TO THE CITY SADDLE CONNECTION. I ALWAYS KEEP TABS ON MY JOBS AND KEEP A RECORD OF THE CLEANING WITH THE FOOTAGE OF THE LOCATION I CLEARED THE STOPPAGE. IF I'VE CAMERED THE LINE, THEN IT'S ALL NOTED AND DOCUMENTED ON MY LAPTOP THAT I CARRY IN THE TRUCK. CAN'T GO TOO FAR OR COME UP SHORT FOR THE MAIN.
                    the dog

Comment

My previous post was a computer error on my part. Please remove or disregard.
                      the dog

Comment

DAWGFAN

if you notice above, my particular circumstances, i did not have a lot of time to get it done. I knew how much it was going to be before he did it.

There are pro's on this very thread that believe I was not overcharged.

It was a lesson learned

Comment

i think its better to ask for a quote before agreeing on a particular job..

Comment

Michael

That was addressed and was a given. My circumstances prohibited me from "shopping around". At the time I was not even sure what the problem was. I went into greater detail in a previous post as to why it had to be done on the spot. Ordinarily I would have called around and got some prices, but my circumstances prohibited me the ability to do so. That aside, if you noticed, professional plumbers here told me that I was not overcharged for the service provided. Another reason calling around would have been a moot point. I might have saved a few bucks but it does not sound like it would have been signifigant savings.

I look at it as paying for a do it yourself class. I learned what the problem was and how to rectify it in the future. Was an expensive lesson!

Comment

Space.....
                              I'm sorry to hear that you feel you where over charged, based not on the individual that did the job, but on the amount you had to pay.

It sounds to me that you have lost track of a few things here.... you made some valid point's as well as did the other posters in here.

I just have a few other questions for you....

1. You say you got a carreer's worth of training in an hours time at a price of $200.00 and you are upset over that!

2. How much money and how many years did it take the man that came to your house to do this job, I'll bet more that an hour and more than $200.00.

Fact: just because you watched him do it and can rent the equipment at your local rental place, doesn't mean that if things had not gone so smoothly at your house you learned all you needed to unclog a drain.

What if the plumber that put those pipes under that slab had put a fitting in backwards, or used what he had on hand to keep from going to get the right fitting at the end of the day on a friday where he had plans with a girlfriend that evening and needed to not be late, so he used something that wouldn't work properlly, or just didn't really care, and then that sewer cable goes the wrong way under the slab and comes up thru your toilet and bustes out the p-trap in the toilet, making a really big mess, not to mention another job to replace.

No he didn't know that either but I bet if he has any years of experience, he'll see the signs that this is hapening and probablly pull that cable out and take another approach at unclogging your line.

How do you know how much stress you can put on that cable when it get's into a bind before it snaps or breaks the clog loose, I bet if he has any years of experence at it he knows.

What happens if that cable gets under just the right amount of stress and then all hell breaks loose and spits that 100ft of 3/4 or 7/8 inch cable out of the basket because you forgot to lock the cable down, if he has any years of experence he knows every thing that should be set and done to keep that from happening.

I could go on and on but there's no sence in useing up all the hard drive space on these peoples web server.

Any way it sounds to me he had no controle over the prices, but in my book (depending on your local economy) that since you got to forgo all the 20+ years of picking up that heavy machine and the thousands of dollors that I spent on tools liceness and so on, That I am the one that has been over charged!

No I'm not the guy that came to your house nor do I work for the company you called.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't think you learned all there is to it in an hours time, and hope that you under stand that the simplest looking thing is not always as simple as it looks.
                              It can be dangerous.

Comment

I work for a plumbing company and spend about 80% of each day cleaning drains.In answer to the original question my company charges a flat rate depending on type of drain & location.I like the flat rate because it allows customers to know up front exactly how much the job will be.Sometimes however you lose if it takes too long.

Space 200.00 doesnt sound bad to me,I would have charged you that to do a kitchen sink drain and if cleaning your main line involved a roof or basement you got a great deal.If you think drain cleaners make too much lug a 350 lb machine all day & see if you feel the same.Drain cleaning is hard and dangerous work.I take no offense to your opinion though.I charge a good price for a good service and back it up with a good warranty.

Comment

Working...
                                X