No announcement yet.

rates for sewer and drain work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does that mean under warranty, its free of charge?

Comment

Yes,under warranty means free of charge.If a stoppage occurs in the same drain while under warranty we redo it free.

Comment

and how long does that warranty last?

Comment

Warranty depends on what the stoppage was...For example, A toy removed from a toilet would have no warranty.Normal stoppages tree roots in sewer,galvanized "muck" line ect. are generally 90 days.

Comment

200$ is just a tad steep per hour for drain cleaning, but not totally unreasonable. Here in Alaska the going rate common around town is right around 100 to 125/hour, with a few charging more. You could probably get a better price if you called around and asked what different companies hourly rates are, but I doubt you'll get it alot lower or under 100.
            I started out in plumbing in that industry, so I know first-hand how dirty, dangerous and serious that job can be. Snaking main lines or difficult drains can be extremely difficult and messy at times, and so most sewer and drain companies don't mess around with charges....you get charged a flat rate usually by the hour and with a MINIMUM of an hour no matter what the work actually entails....what could seem like a relatively very simple job such as yours can quickly turn into nightmares, and these companies are faced with daily risks such as stuck or broken cables, etc. Let's not also forget that running the larger sewer cables, even with the modern power feeders, is dangerous...though by just looking at the guy who came to do your line it may seem easy, it's not, and if you stop respecting that cable for just an instant it can tear your arm off or worse. In one case here locally, some Joe-homeowner walked into a rental place and rented one of the bigger main line machines, he was found 3 days later with the cable wrapped around his throat. The rental agencies have stopped renting machines of that size since to the general public. It's also very hard to find GOOD drain cleaners....in many ways, it is a whole skill set on it's own and even many journeyman plumbers are no good at it due to lack of experience and training.

For these and other reasons, when you simply just can't open a drain yourself and must call a company, you can expect it to be a somewhat expensive proposition, and for many good reasons on the part of the company charging. And if you were a sewer and drain tech, you would fully understand why.

As has alkready been mentioned as well, the vast majority of drain guys in the States work for companies that pay them a "commission" on each ticket, and many don't get paid squat if they are'nt on a call. And their commissions usually rarely exceed 25-30%.

Comment

Re: rates for sewer and drain work?

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma View Post
              . Now I go down to the local rental place and rent the machine for a couple of hrs and do it my self. 30-40 bucks and an hour is a lot better than 200+
              This is your choice. You are substituting your own time...to and from the rental place, time to do the work.....for dollars paid to the plumber. That is a reasonable decision on your part, since you may have the skills. But you make an unfair comparison when you compare the $40 rental fee to the $200 paid to the plumber. You omit the value of your time, gas in your car, etc.

Whatever your profession is, you get paid for every minute you are there at work, including time in the bathroom, smoke break, whatever. The customers who are paying your boss for whatever it is your company does....do they say.."hey, why do I have to pay for the time joe schmuck is in the bathroom?""!!!!

Comment

wow old thread

I can change my own oil but I pay for the convenience of the 10 minute oil change companies, and I don't complain to the mechanic that I can do it myself.

I can cook my own hamburger but I pay for the convenience of the fast food drive thru, and I don't complain to the minimum wage worker in the window that I can do it myself.

Buyer beware, ask for prices, read the fine print.

Comment

Everything is relative. Something is worth what someone else is willing and able to pay. As I and most forum members are avid DIYers in and out of the plumbing trade, it's great that you have the ability, time, and enough know how to rent a machine and clear the line yourself. Many people are unable to do that; more are totally unwilling to even try. I can tell you there are many costs associated with starting and owning a business that includes draincleaning. In addition, did you clear the line or clean the line? Did you camera the line to see what the problem was or what caused it? Perhaps the rooter guy didn't either, but these are the kind of extras a pro with the right equipment can provide. I understand you were in a crunch for time and felt limited with options. We all feel there are certain things that are overpriced, sorry to hear you felt ripped off. If you do get a "flat rate" price from any plumber/drain cleaner, understand that sometimes drains clear quickly and easily; other times, they can turn into messy nightmares that last hours. Many guys in the business don't want to be bothered with a main line for less than $200

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                    This is your choice. You are substituting your own time...to and from the rental place, time to do the work.....for dollars paid to the plumber. That is a reasonable decision on your part, since you may have the skills. But you make an unfair comparison when you compare the $40 rental fee to the $200 paid to the plumber. You omit the value of your time, gas in your car, etc.

Whatever your profession is, you get paid for every minute you are there at work, including time in the bathroom, smoke break, whatever. The customers who are paying your boss for whatever it is your company does....do they say.."hey, why do I have to pay for the time joe schmuck is in the bathroom?""!!!!
                    Since he has not logged on in 3-1/2 years, it may be a while before/if he responds to you.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

ID FILL YOUR DRAIN WITH CONCRETE YOU PRICK!!!
                      IF you are merely talking about having a professional come in and run a snake through your drains/main line, the professional is making too much money! Now Hold on guy's, I understand time is money, which is why you have a service call charge. You also have an hourly rate you need to make in order to remain competetive and put food on your table. But in my opinion, they are charging way way too much for a main line snake. We had just moved into our home, and a few months later our main had started to back up. Now I am a pretty handy guy, do most of my plumbing work myself, running new lines, installation, etc. Being a new home owner i had no idea what to do. I called a plumber and he charged me over 200 bucks to snake my main. He was in and out in under an hour. In fact it took him more time to unload, set up, and reload his snake than it took him to do the job! After seeing what he did, in my opinion I got ripped off! Not worth it. Now I go down to the local rental place and rent the machine for a couple of hrs and do it my self. 30-40 bucks and an hour is a lot better than 200+

Comment

I think this guy deserves s#$% and urine all over. I dont go into a store and bata a price down when i have by the way no experience/knowledge whatsoever on the topic or service or overheads or downtime or repairs blah blah. I would remail him an invoice for being a complete piece of filth!!! Oh and i would duct tape that invoice to a brick and throw it through his front window at 2 in the morn

I used to be an avionics technician and used to work on the E-2C hawkeye. Well the relief tube they had for the rear crew was in the back just above a tray of my avionics gear. In addition, the cooling fan was on the outside of the aircraft on the port side (left) just behind the pilot seat. Guess what, sucked in all the pilot's urine because his relief tube came out right there. When one of those went bad they were not real pleasent to change. But it was part of the job. (and we did not get to charge extra

Comment

Re: rates for sewer and drain work? OH YEA!!!!

IF you are merely talking about having a professional come in and run a snake through your drains/main line, the professional is making too much money! Now Hold on guy's, I understand time is money, which is why you have a service call charge. You also have an hourly rate you need to make in order to remain competetive and put food on your table. But in my opinion, they are charging way way too much for a main line snake. We had just moved into our home, and a few months later our main had started to back up. Now I am a pretty handy guy, do most of my plumbing work myself, running new lines, installation, etc. Being a new home owner i had no idea what to do. I called a plumber and he charged me over 200 bucks to snake my main. He was in and out in under an hour. In fact it took him more time to unload, set up, and reload his snake than it took him to do the job! After seeing what he did, in my opinion I got ripped off! Not worth it. Now I go down to the local rental place and rent the machine for a couple of hrs and do it my self. 30-40 bucks and an hour is a lot better than 200+
                          Ever run a lemmon aid stand ? Always been a taxpayer's check?
                          Like You would know! JEEEZZEEE
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We Have a "BLACK LIST" For Weasels Like That

For $137.50 You Get 1 115' "penetration" After that $75.00 Per Hr or $25.00 per additional penetration Which ever is higher

$20.00 more If you have put in "Drano"

But It's kinda hard to maintain the equipment at that price

Dave

Comment

ancient history.... nice to see da dawg though... rip dog
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Everyone has to know what there worth if your work is worth $ 200 charge $ 200 if your work is not very good then anything you charge is too much. You get what you pay for. In a town about 60 miles from me where my niece lives the price for snaking a main line is $ 1200.00 to $ 2000.00. So I think the guy got a lucky break at $ 200 unless the cleaner did a bad job then he wasn't worth it. I guess with all of our experience we just make it look too easy. Maybe we ought to goof around on a job so it takes longer and grumble about how hard it is. The one thing I have noticed about rental machines is that they never have the finishing head with them, the one that makes the line stay open longer. Maybe it's so they can rent it more often or maybe it is because that is the head that can damage the machine the most if the guy running it has not got the experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X