Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rates for sewer and drain work?

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
    Everyone has to know what there worth if your work is worth $ 200 charge $ 200 if your work is not very good then anything you charge is too much. You get what you pay for. In a town about 60 miles from me where my niece lives the price for snaking a main line is $ 1200.00 to $ 2000.00. So I think the guy got a lucky break at $ 200 unless the cleaner did a bad job then he wasn't worth it. I guess with all of our experience we just make it look too easy. Maybe we ought to goof around on a job so it takes longer and grumble about how hard it is. The one thing I have noticed about rental machines is that they never have the finishing head with them, the one that makes the line stay open longer. Maybe it's so they can rent it more often or maybe it is because that is the head that can damage the machine the most if the guy running it has not got the experience.
    What town is that?Why so pricey?
    Kenneth Collier
    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
    Jackson, MS 39206
    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
      What town is that?Why so pricey?
      It is a bigger town in Indiana I don't want to say more because some of the company's if they get a job close enough down here they will have me do it for them and pay me my normal fee plus some travel time.And I cant afford to lose it. I don't know why they charge what they do I know they use the TV. on every drain and send a backhoe along to get there TV. head around the bends. It is a union town I didn't know they charged that much till my niece had to get her drain snaked and she started calling around for prices. I thought she was misunderstanding them so I called some I knew and got the same price. I was going to pay the high gas price ( at the time) and go down and do it for her but I got one of the company's I work with to give her a break. I had been getting calls close to that town before that, and I couldn't figure out why they were so willing to pay the driving time ( 2 hours round trip ) after that I understood why. They all told me the same it was cheaper then the others. And I don't think I am that cheap I don't charge the $ 300.00 normal charge that they charge around here but I do every drain myself and I don't have the overhead, but I don't want to be the cheapest ! the guy's who are the cheapest get the customers that don't pay.

Comment

.....The one thing I have noticed about rental machines is that they never have the finishing head with them, the one that makes the line stay open longer. Maybe it's so they can rent it more often or maybe it is because that is the head that can damage the machine the most if the guy running it has not got the experience.
        This is done so a home owner can not wrap up or break a cable.
        Your average joe would break a cable or worse hurt themselves
        given better equipment.
        Liability.

Comment

you got to remember that if the company charges a flat rate for main line cleaning say 186.00. That includes if it is an easy unclogged that may take 30 minutes, but it also includes the hard as hell to clear lines that may take to plumber 2 plus hours of running the machine. 200 bucks is not a high price. think of the van that he drives, the fuel he put in it, the fully stocked van that he drives, and the expensive tools he owns. Your line my have been an easy clear, but it is not allways like that.

Comment

It is a bigger town in Indiana I don't want to say more because some of the company's if they get a job close enough down here they will have me do it for them and pay me my normal fee plus some travel time.And I cant afford to lose it. I don't know why they charge what they do I know they use the TV. on every drain and send a backhoe along to get there TV. head around the bends. It is a union town I didn't know they charged that much till my niece had to get her drain snaked and she started calling around for prices. I thought she was misunderstanding them so I called some I knew and got the same price. I was going to pay the high gas price ( at the time) and go down and do it for her but I got one of the company's I work with to give her a break. I had been getting calls close to that town before that, and I couldn't figure out why they were so willing to pay the driving time ( 2 hours round trip ) after that I understood why. They all told me the same it was cheaper then the others. And I don't think I am that cheap I don't charge the $ 300.00 normal charge that they charge around here but I do every drain myself and I don't have the overhead, but I don't want to be the cheapest ! the guy's who are the cheapest get the customers that don't pay.
            I understand your reason for not saying more.That company might have a good reason for charging what they do.Goodby.
            Kenneth Collier
            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
            Jackson, MS 39206
            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

the price for snaking a main line is $ 1200.00 to $ 2000.00.

WOW!

People paying those prices to clean a main line should go here

http://www.gorlitz.com/?act=viewDoc&docId=16

or here

http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/66497.html

I'm going to print a copy of your post to show the next customer who complains about my price.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                wow old thread

I can change my own oil but I pay for the convenience of the 10 minute oil change companies, and I don't complain to the mechanic that I can do it myself.

I can cook my own hamburger but I pay for the convenience of the fast food drive thru, and I don't complain to the minimum wage worker in the window that I can do it myself.

Buyer beware, ask for prices, read the fine print.
                In a town about 60 miles from me where my niece lives the price for snaking a main line is $ 1200.00 to $ 2000.00.
                I think if they start charging me 10 times more than normal, $50 for a hamburger, or $350 for my oil changes, I would no longer visit those establishments.

Comment

I should be able to get an invoice, or written estaminet and black out the name and company info. or an advertisement. If I can Ill post it Maybe you can see why there worth it I don't know. I don't know what they charge when I do one for them They send me a company check. There always fast pay. Just a note on those rental places I drop a bunch of coupons off at them equal to the price of one hour rent on the machine if They cant get the line open then they tell them they have an agreement with us to pay that much for a pro. to clean it. I get a few calls that way.Most times the HO. has it so messed up I make the money back in extra time replacing something they broke or messed up bad.

Comment

I'd like to see you get those prices here in San Diego......

Comment

2000 for cleaning a main line? holy cow, what are you cleaning an apartment or hotel man holes with a jetter?

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                        wow old thread

I can change my own oil but I pay for the convenience of the 10 minute oil change companies, and I don't complain to the mechanic that I can do it myself.

I can cook my own hamburger but I pay for the convenience of the fast food drive thru, and I don't complain to the minimum wage worker in the window that I can do it myself.

Buyer beware, ask for prices, read the fine print.
                        Bingo. We all pay a premium for service, preparation and or convince. They don't like it, go some place else.

My wife just walked in with Chik-fil-a food. 2 orders of 3 little chicken strips, 2 small fries and 2 iced teas. Iced frikkin tea! That's water and tea and sugar. $13.50 total. Premium.

I could drive myself to Las Vegas too. Why do that when I can pay someone to fly me there in a fraction of the time? Sure, I need to pay cab fares or rent a car if I want to get around, but, again, convenience and premium. Some folks just don't get it.

However, if you're willing to undercut your completion just to get the work, so be it. Good luck with staying in business and making any money without killing yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Willbur View Post
                          2000 for cleaning a main line? holy cow, what are you cleaning an apartment or hotel man holes with a jetter?
                          Thats in Peso's.

Comment

Originally posted by Willbur View Post
                            The jobs I do for them are mostly restaurants but I don't get the big bucks. They just cut me a check for my charge that is a small percent of what they charge. But that is what they charge for a one family house. I thought I was way undercharging after I found out what they charged

Comment

My orthopedic surgeon just called. He's leaving his practice to start drain cleaning. Lower liability, greater profit! 2K for a cleaning? wow!

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
                                My orthopedic surgeon just called. He's leaving his practice to start drain cleaning. Lower liability, greater profit! 2K for a cleaning? wow!
                                I will get back into it for that........

Comment

Working...
                                X