Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rates for sewer and drain work?

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
    I will get back into it for that........
    I think someone typo'd an extra zero....I hope

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma View Post
      IF you are merely talking about having a professional come in and run a snake through your drains/main line, the professional is making too much money! Now Hold on guy's, I understand time is money, which is why you have a service call charge. You also have an hourly rate you need to make in order to remain competetive and put food on your table. But in my opinion, they are charging way way too much for a main line snake. We had just moved into our home, and a few months later our main had started to back up. Now I am a pretty handy guy, do most of my plumbing work myself, running new lines, installation, etc. Being a new home owner i had no idea what to do. I called a plumber and he charged me over 200 bucks to snake my main. He was in and out in under an hour. In fact it took him more time to unload, set up, and reload his snake than it took him to do the job! After seeing what he did, in my opinion I got ripped off! Not worth it. Now I go down to the local rental place and rent the machine for a couple of hrs and do it my self. 30-40 bucks and an hour is a lot better than 200+
      Actually....most of you guys that do this, spend the 30-40 bucks, and end up calling out a real plumber anyway. It happens all the time...

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
        I think someone typo'd an extra zero....I hope
        actually it was already stated that it's $2,000 from an earlier post.

for that kind of money, i could replace it with trenchless.

can't see anyone wanting to call out a plumber/ drain cleaner at $2,000.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

So is this the longest running thread on here or is there one longer?

Besides of course the Sectional VS drum eternal debate.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

for that kind of money, i could replace it with trenchless.

rick.
            For $2000.00 your going to make home depo very happy!

They won't be able to keep a snake on the shelves.
            Last edited by DanLawrence; 05-19-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Rates for ANY work?

All you can ethically get.

J.C.

Comment

Musta glossed over it. Not the most important thread to me I guess. Yeah, for 2K you'd think just replace or line it.

There's at least two co's running around in yellow/white and lime green/white cube trucks that do this kind of stuff all day long. But hey, they smell good apprently.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                  Musta glossed over it. Not the most important thread to me I guess. Yeah, for 2K you'd think just replace or line it.

There's at least two co's running around in yellow/white and lime green/white cube trucks that do this kind of stuff all day long. But hey, they smell good apprently.
                  They quote $ 6.000 to $ 10.000 for a for a 50 to 100 FT. replacement job.

Comment

Forget moving to CA. I'm hitting the road to IN. Seriously though, if that's what they think they need to turn a profit then so be it. Their prices just help other plumbers out. Out of curosity, how long have they been in business with prices like that?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

2,000 for a mainline..... they must be using a sectional machine

I am sure they are providing more then just a drain cleaning for that price.

Hard to judge other peoples prices without knowing anything about them.

Everyone has their own reasons to charge what they charge, so what if they charge $2000 to clean a mainline, whats the problem with it??
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        2,000 for a mainline..... they must be using a sectional machine

seeing that more sectionals are sold than drums, there's a good chance it's a sectional.

I am sure they are providing more then just a drain cleaning for that price.

sure are, they're cleaning out their bank account too

Hard to judge other peoples prices without knowing anything about them.

not to difficult to judge as all of us here are shocked by those numbers. even our own gtmerkley knows them.

"It is a bigger town in Indiana I don't want to say more because some of the company's if they get a job close enough down here they will have me do it for them and pay me my normal fee plus some travel time.And I cant afford to lose it. I don't know why they charge what they do I know they use the TV. on every drain and send a backhoe along to get there TV. head around the bends. It is a union town I didn't know they charged that much till my niece had to get her drain snaked and she started calling around for prices. I thought she was misunderstanding them so I called some I knew and got the same price. I was going to pay the high gas price ( at the time) and go down and do it for her but I got one of the company's I work with to give her a break. I had been getting calls close to that town before that, and I couldn't figure out why they were so willing to pay the driving time ( 2 hours round trip ) after that I understood why. They all told me the same it was cheaper then the others. And I don't think I am that cheap I don't charge the $ 300.00 normal charge that they charge around here but I do every drain myself and I don't have the overhead, but I don't want to be the cheapest ! the guy's who are the cheapest get the customers that don't pay."

Everyone has their own reasons to charge what they charge, so what if they charge $2000 to clean a mainline, whats the problem with it??
                        the problem is people don't have too many options when their plumbing is backed up. they are in a desperate situation. if all the local companies are in the $1200-$2000 range, then they are artificially raising their prices.

not too many people i know can afford to pay those prices.

sending out a backhoe on every stoppage job is sending out a wrong message.

being 2 times more expensive than the average is 1 thing. being 10 times more than the average is

it would be interesting to see an invoice.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Then....

What does a tradesperson deserve to make?

For anyone to say $50.00 is too cheap or $2,000.00 is too much for something means they know what should be charged and what a company/persons income deserves to be.

If person A charges X for certain work and nets $50,000.00/year and.....

Person B charges Y for the same work and nets $100,000.00/year-Then who's right?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma View Post
                            IF you are merely talking about having a professional come in and run a snake through your drains/main line, the professional is making too much money! Now Hold on guy's, I understand time is money, which is why you have a service call charge. You also have an hourly rate you need to make in order to remain competetive and put food on your table. But in my opinion, they are charging way way too much for a main line snake. We had just moved into our home, and a few months later our main had started to back up. Now I am a pretty handy guy, do most of my plumbing work myself, running new lines, installation, etc. Being a new home owner i had no idea what to do. I called a plumber and he charged me over 200 bucks to snake my main. He was in and out in under an hour. In fact it took him more time to unload, set up, and reload his snake than it took him to do the job! After seeing what he did, in my opinion I got ripped off! Not worth it. Now I go down to the local rental place and rent the machine for a couple of hrs and do it my self. 30-40 bucks and an hour is a lot better than 200+
                            OK now I have a beef, Althoug I don't know the specfics on his busness. the fees paid to a person willing to come and help at your place of res COSTS!!! A) Insurance for liability, B) some states also require a bond. C) Fuel to get there D) cost of purchase and upkeep of equipment that takes its tool cleaning YOUR drain lines !! E) Office staff if he can afford them at that low price.F) vehcile matainence so he can get to your house OH and the vehcile needs Insurance also.F) If you would like me to go on I can . The Point is, Your Mechanic , Docter , Tax advisor, And most anybody else in the service industry with some ecptions of electricions tow trucks cable tv phone and such don't come to you and that docter charges much more! The drain line that needed cleaning also was a large health hazard not only for your family bht the drain man also ! STILL THINK IT COST TOO MUCH !

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota Master View Post
                              OK now I have a beef, Althoug I don't know the specfics on his busness. the fees paid to a person willing to come and help at your place of res COSTS!!! A) Insurance for liability, B) some states also require a bond. C) Fuel to get there D) cost of purchase and upkeep of equipment that takes its tool cleaning YOUR drain lines !! E) Office staff if he can afford them at that low price.F) vehcile matainence so he can get to your house OH and the vehcile needs Insurance also.F) If you would like me to go on I can . The Point is, Your Mechanic , Docter , Tax advisor, And most anybody else in the service industry with some ecptions of electricions tow trucks cable tv phone and such don't come to you and that docter charges much more! The drain line that needed cleaning also was a large health hazard not only for your family bht the drain man also ! STILL THINK IT COST TOO MUCH !
                              By the way how long does it take you? is it fun? and do you include the time it took to get one way to pick up the equipment and is it possable that the reason you have a problem that you did the work yourself?

Comment

the problem is people don't have too many options when their plumbing is backed up. they are in a desperate situation. if all the local companies are in the $1200-$2000 range, then they are artificially raising their prices.

not too many people i know can afford to pay those prices.

sending out a backhoe on every stoppage job is sending out a wrong message.

being 2 times more expensive than the average is 1 thing. being 10 times more than the average is

it would be interesting to see an invoice.

rick.
                                Backhoe Here is rarely nessary ! Something fishey maybe Don't know the area

Comment

Working...
                                X