X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rates for sewer and drain work?

Originally posted by plumber View Post
    Space,

Sewage work is nasty disgusting and filthy. You are asking another human being to drive to your home and get your fecal matter all over them and their tools. Then they have to clean YOUR $h!t off of their clothes and their equipment, sometimes their own skin. They have to smell YOUR human excrement the whole time they work and you want them to do it cheap? That attitude is exactly why I refuse to do that type of work whenever possible.

That equipment is expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, and expensive to replace. A man who does that work deserves to make a very nice living indeed. 75 to 100 dollars an hour plus a machine charge is extremely reasonable and much less than I am willing to do it for. The plumber or service man has to load that heavy equipment drive top your home, play in your $h!t pipes then clean everything up and drive back. You want him to do that for pennies? Remember that plumber is still getting paid while he is driving to and from your house, its part of his 8 hour day and his employer must charge accordingly.

Those national sewer chains are a rip off for the customer and the poor souls stuck working for them. One chain which I will not mention requires their "service techs" to be subcontractors who must buy or lease their own truck, provide their own equipment, their own insurance and keeps them on call 24/7. Those guys are told what they can charge and they don't even get overtime for Sunday and holiday work. Their cut of what they have to collect is less than 40%. Its a crime actually, or at least it should be.

If you had your main sewer cleaned for 200 bucks you did not get ripped off, you recieved a good service at a fair price.

Rick,

I sort of agree with your coke analogy but I am willing to pay 4 bucks for a coke if i am in a very nice establishment with excellent service, excellent food and excellent ambiance. But i will only pay 99 cents for the same thing in a burger joint and expect it to be refilled.

You have top equipment and experience in using it, plus you have to use your equipmment in other peoples home which means providing excellent service and being polite and business like which equates to the 4 dollar coke. If Spacebluesonoma does not want to pay another human being a decent wage to literally work in his $h!t then shame on him and he should rent a machine and do it himself.
    I wouldn' go near your ship because you are sooo cheap the repairs you may be involved in would cause the ship to sink.
    Last edited by Minnesota Master; 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM. Reason: message ment for the price complaining navyman

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      2,000 for a mainline..... they must be using a sectional machine

I am sure they are providing more then just a drain cleaning for that price.

Hard to judge other peoples prices without knowing anything about them.

Everyone has their own reasons to charge what they charge, so what if they charge $2000 to clean a mainline, whats the problem with it??
      They use a MyTana M 81 and camera every line when they hit a spot they cant go through with there head they dig down to the pipe to get access they might do this two or three times. They were asked if they could do it with out the camera and backhoe every one said no.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota Master View Post
        Backhoe Here is rarely nessary ! Something fishey maybe Don't know the area
        I think your right about the fishy part a lot of the owners are state or local gov. rep. and I cant remember the last time a new company opened shop there.

Comment

I charge by the coupling. I st one is $100 . $19.95 per coupling after that. No camera ,
          customer has to trust Me
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

???? Explain?

Comment

?
              Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I charge by the coupling. I st one is $100 . $19.95 per coupling after that. No camera ,
              customer has to trust Me

Comment

I used to work for Rescue Rooter in 2008 and they charged to snake a main line $282.00 plus TOS (truck operatin supply) $29.50

If the costumer calls after 6pm the price would be $349.50 plus $29.50
                that did not include to remove the toilet. To remove the toilet was 69.00
                after 6pm it was $139.00

Comment

Originally posted by Richard098 View Post
                  I used to work for Rescue Rooter in 2008 and they charged to snake a main line $282.00 plus TOS (truck operatin supply) $29.50

If the costumer calls after 6pm the price would be $349.50 plus $29.50
                  that did not include to remove the toilet. To remove the toilet was 69.00
                  after 6pm it was $139.00
                  So if the customer calls after 6pm they get charged an after hours rate and charge more to R/R the toilet ? I understand the after hours rate, I have an after hours that starts at 5 pm but to charge more to pull a toilet after 6 ?

Comment

Yes they do. They expect me to make $500 for the company for every main line. They pressure the worker a lot to make money. They also want you to kiss the managers butts If you don't kiss their butts, they give you bad treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma View Post
                      IF you are merely talking about having a professional come in and run a snake through your drains/main line, the professional is making too much money! Now Hold on guy's, I understand time is money, which is why you have a service call charge. You also have an hourly rate you need to make in order to remain competetive and put food on your table. But in my opinion, they are charging way way too much for a main line snake. We had just moved into our home, and a few months later our main had started to back up. Now I am a pretty handy guy, do most of my plumbing work myself, running new lines, installation, etc. Being a new home owner i had no idea what to do. I called a plumber and he charged me over 200 bucks to snake my main. He was in and out in under an hour. In fact it took him more time to unload, set up, and reload his snake than it took him to do the job! After seeing what he did, in my opinion I got ripped off! Not worth it. Now I go down to the local rental place and rent the machine for a couple of hrs and do it my self. 30-40 bucks and an hour is a lot better than 200+
                      wow
                      Last edited by oaklandplumber; 02-03-2010, 01:46 AM. Reason: i have trouble wit dates

Comment

Originally posted by oaklandplumber View Post
                        charging too much ? how much do you think the add u seen coast that guy?ALOT thats how much ,insurance,license,i got at least 10 grand in sewer equipment alone,not to mention all the years of experience to get to this point,and do you really expect someone to work in your pi$$ & %hit ,put their health and safety at risk for little or no profit http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/ima.../rotflmao1.gif
                        Since his last post was well over 4-years ago he likely will not reply to you.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Since his last post was well over 4-years ago he likely will not reply to you.

Mark
                          i knew that i really did

Comment

slug

$200.00 is a slug price. i get $250.00 on 1 1/2" or 2" drain. $360.00 on 3" or 4" main. stools extra. don't do roofs. carpenters charge $100.00 to $200.00 here and then refuse to do anymore drains. or just refuse in the first place. my prices are for the first 2 hrs. then it's $125.00 or $180.00 each additional hours. when i started this it was $40.00 a week + all you could eat. k-60 and k-38. if you don't like my prices, good call someone else. i used to say you can work 40 hours at $5.00 or 20 hours at $10.00 or 10 hours at $20.00. do your 10 on monday and take the rest of the week off with pay. i want to work less make more. your call. i got a gun in my pocket i ain't holding it to anyone's head. free enterprise. free enterprise! breid............

Comment

Re: slug

I like the way you think lol. Does your main line cleaning include televising? Those are very similar prices to the mr rooter I work for. I'm curious about the mr. rooter or roto rooter pricing in your area. Do you know what they charge?

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                              $200.00 is a slug price. i get $250.00 on 1 1/2" or 2" drain. $360.00 on 3" or 4" main. stools extra. don't do roofs. carpenters charge $100.00 to $200.00 here and then refuse to do anymore drains. or just refuse in the first place. my prices are for the first 2 hrs. then it's $125.00 or $180.00 each additional hours. when i started this it was $40.00 a week + all you could eat. k-60 and k-38. if you don't like my prices, good call someone else. i used to say you can work 40 hours at $5.00 or 20 hours at $10.00 or 10 hours at $20.00. do your 10 on monday and take the rest of the week off with pay. i want to work less make more. your call. i got a gun in my pocket i ain't holding it to anyone's head. free enterprise. free enterprise! breid............

Comment

Re: slug

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post

Man breid . I like your prices.
                                There is no way I can even imagine getting 150 for a 2 inch line.
                                Heck people complain when I say 20 bucks.

I did get some useful information from your post. I have never set a time frame on drain cleaning. Something I need to do. but rour prices seem really fair when you include 2 hours of labor

Comment

Working...
                                X