X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 78' trenchless area drain

Rick is that a pipe genie? Did you buy it new? or used? How much is the system?
    Any words of wisdom you have learned buying wise on one of these?
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      Rick is that a pipe genie? Did you buy it new? or used? How much is the system?

yes it is. bought it new right off the trade show floor 6 years ago.

i have to remember back. but the machine didn't come with the pipe fusion equipment, another $3500. i believe the puller was 27k. then i have the trailer, the hydraulic boring machine and the jetter boring set up. probably have 50k tied up in this stuff.

Any words of wisdom you have learned buying wise on one of these?
      do not get into pipe bursting unless you make it a full time job. i only do a few a year and that's enough for me. it's a lot of physical work and you feel it for days.

sub it out to specialized co's. don't get into it.

it is a better process than re-lining for many reasons. the pipe is pretty much bullet proof. you get full size clean bore pipe that can take a beating from a sledge hammer. see what you get with relining.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick good to know. A couple of my plumber buddies have slowed down and want to get into other money streams and it was a thought I was toying with. But I will listen on this one.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Nice job Rick. The Pipe Genie setup seems to be one of the best bursting units on the market.

Comment

Interesting post have heard about this trenchless/pipe pulling, first one I have seen ,looks like there alot of strain on equipment.
            I take it can only be done on straight sections?
            Does the leader or pipe breaker always follow the old drain?
            Keep up the posts great reading even better with the photos.
            Regards
            Greg

Comment

thanks for the pics rick.

first time i've ever seen this.

technology, gotta love it.

Vince

Comment

once again... great pics Rick. you add a lot of value to your threads by showing folks exactly what your talking about.

Bravo.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                  Nice job Rick. The Pipe Genie setup seems to be one of the best bursting units on the market.

not really

there were issues that i had to work out with gerry since mine was 1 of the very first units out there.

had to replace the chain to the proper certified chain, the couplers also had issues with the pins, the pump was overtightened and was cracked.

everything i learned was from the school of hard knocks and breaks

truthfully, if i didn't spend my wad i would not be using it.

there are jobs that i will turn down based on experience, and jobs that looked easy that were not. like this one.

to answer aussie gregs question. the hdpe pipe is as good as it gets i can make up to 3- 45 degree turns and it turns them into long sweep bends. i'll see if i have some old photos of past jobs to repost.

yesterday it was in the mid 90's and the pipe was nice and warmed up. you can see how it flexed to go up the fence wall. the warmer it is, the more flex you get. i need about 8' to flex a 90 when staging the pipe.

if you plan on getting into trenchless, think hard about it and do your homework. it's not as simple as it looks.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Now that the Pipe Genie has been out for a while (assuming they have worked out the bugs) would you say they are one of the better systems?

How well did the company respond to your issues?Do you feel they made a good faith effort to take care of you or did they pull a General and leave you in the dust as soon as the check cleared?
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Rick
                      I think we all attend the school of hard knocks. Anytime you get the first run of something and you know how gentle we are with everything, if there is a weak spot we will find it. I spoke with Jerry at the pumper show last year as well as looked at all the other bursting products out there. Jerry was more than just a salesman. I got the feel that he stood behind his machines and had better support. There is not much call for this in my area right now so I am waiting on the purchase.

Comment

Jerry is best at being a salesman. He took all of our photos at the large Nashville show one year and used them to sell people more machines. He would tell them they are so easy to run even a girl could do it

I will say that in the end he did make good on everything that broke/failed.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                          Now that the Pipe Genie has been out for a while (assuming they have worked out the bugs) would you say they are one of the better systems?

How well did the company respond to your issues?Do you feel they made a good faith effort to take care of you or did they pull a General and leave you in the dust as soon as the check cleared?
                          his right hand man went to work for gorlitz and that product is called the anaconda.

i like the guys at gorlitz, even though i don't own any of their equipment.

i like the guys and girls at ridgid better now it they want to build a puller, i know we can have the best product out there. no doubt about it.

pipe bursting is more of an art than a tug of war.

you better know what you're getting into and what you're up against or you'll be up the creek.

brute force is not what pipe bursting is all about.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

So how do you attach the new pipe your are pulling to the leader that the chain is attached to so it won't come off.
                            On looking at your photos Rick the chain attaches to to new pipe that you are pulling then goes around a wheel then straight up and is then attached to the top of the piston which extendes about 600mm (2') so that you have to detach the chain when the piston is fully extended, then lower the piston to its starting point attach the chain again and start the pistons so how long to pull that distance.
                            And was that Joey sitting on the Esky looking busy so what is her hourly rate.
                            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                              So how do you attach the new pipe your are pulling to the leader that the chain is attached to so it won't come off.

the hdpe pipe is attached to a poly adapter. this is basically a collar with 3 steel plate straps with approx. 16 screw holes per strap. the chain is looped through the adapter and i keep a 16'' section screwed onto the poly adapter. then i fuse the new 20' sections behind this poly leader. of course you can just screw the new 20' sections to the poly adapter, but that means every pull job you have to screw in new screws. i've reused this adapter leader a dozen or more times. the pipe is so tough that the leader is still in good shape and i just keep cutting off just behind the fused piece.

On looking at your photos Rick the chain attaches to to new pipe that you are pulling then goes around a wheel then straight up and is then attached to the top of the piston which extendes about 600mm (2') so that you have to detach the chain when the piston is fully extended, then lower the piston to its starting point attach the chain again and start the pistons so how long to pull that distance.

actually the pistons are 30''/ 750mm. the chain is pulled by a set of chain gates. these gates open and close to allow the chain to pull when raised and open when lowered. the lower gate holds the chain under tension so that the upper gate can readjust and grip another 30'' cycle.

a cycle takes approx 2' a minute. 6'' is lost on chain adjustment.

the pistons are rated at 3000# each. the force generated is roughly 40,000# per piston at full pressure. fortunately this pull only required approx. 800# of hydraulic pressure. this is nice as it doesn't stress out the front of the ditch or the equipment.

And was that Joey sitting on the Esky looking busy so what is her hourly rate.

Tony
                              yes, it's joey who monitors the pressure, cycles the pistons, listens for strange noises, and basically does the pull. i do the grunt work and heavy lifting.

adam has come out for 2 jobs and has it pretty well figured out what is required to pull it off.

joey's hourly rate is on the barter system. she does a good job and she gets to come home with me

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick , Once again,You bring so much to this forum! Question, do You use an A frame with
                                winch to lower and raise Hyd. chain puller assembly in ditch? If not a simple folding pipe tri stand with cumalong would make it EZ.
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X