X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left 80' of 1-1/4" cable in a drain

I broke my cherry on this one. I have never broke a cable, but did on this one. It was at a plant on a forced storm drain. Right away there is a double 90 offset that raises elevation by about 3'. The drain is over 100' of 3" welded pipe, then hits 8" cast iron for about 70-80 foot. I was using a rented Electric Eel, long story short, broke the cable, put a retrieval tool on, and snagged it, pulled back to the offset and broke the retrieval tool. I hope they let me chop a hole in the floor and install a 2-way c/o. Otherwise, the cable is staying where it sits.

Re: left 80' of 1-1/4" cable in a drain

Ouch,sorry about that.I hope they go with your clean-out.
    Good luck

Comment

the electric eel is the push behind machine. how far into the pipe did it snap off from the c/o?

being a rental machine, do you think that the cable was already damaged or weakened.

i also have a very similar machine in the general 88. i've never damaged a cable and i can wind it up like a rubber band.

what does the rental co say about their lost cables?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

How does a 3" force storm main stop up?

Comment

wouldnt have happened with a ridgid sewer machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!or ridgid cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This drains a shipping dock area. Rocks, bits of pallets and plastic bags did the trick. The 3" is welded steel pipe, so, at the elbows, it chokes down even more. Some of the cables were already pre-kinked. I have some new 1-1/4" chuck jaws, cables and tools ordered for my K-500. If they let me install a c/o I am pretty sure I will get the cables out, then use the K-500 and open it up. The rental company will bill me for the cost of 11 new cables, I will bill the G.C. If I get the cables out, they give me a credit.

Comment

I had a friend break off his 1 1/4" ridged cable off in a line full of metal I used an 1 1/4" electric eel to run from the other end up and grab the cable and bring it out. He broke or kinked 13 ridged cables trying to get it out. it is almost impossible to get a broken cable that size out through a trap is there any place to get in down the line I have got them out with a rooder with a retrieval hook but a rood wont go around a bend but you can sure pull with one. I feel for you and wish you luck.

Comment

Working...
              X