Almighty KING of Drain Cleaning >>> DRUM MACHINES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Almighty KING of Drain Cleaning >>> DRUM MACHINES

I`m working in a trailer park right now that has big problems. I`m running 125` out with one K-7500 then hooking another 125` on from another K-7500 for a grand total of 250` and making my runs in less then 45 minutes. You cant do that with a sectional nor should you even try to run 200` with a sectional. You just cant beat the ease of uses and the speed of set-up time when using a drum machine with self feed.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      "it's not the machine, it's the user"
      Not always is this the case

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        You got a ways to go my friend. Need to have that machine for years to get into some of the situations not just I've been in....but if you'll look through the admissions of rick and gear junkie you'll hear of a few accidents with the machine....just like any machine can warrant.
        Actually in my case the one time I had an accident was because of me and not the machine. I had my k60 on the ground trying to go through a c/o about 4 ft in the air. I had to much cable out and it spun around my hand but caused no damage because of the clutch. I didn't even have a cable indention on my hand.

Take the same scenario with a drum. The dumb-a$$ operator is the same but the machine would now continue to wrap around my hand a couple more times. I probably would've gone to the hospital.

My cable was kinked when this happened and Rick hadn't come up with his patented auger yet so I scrapped the cable as I was unsure of it's strength. I was out 45, if it was a drum cable, I would've been out 2-400$.

Sectional and proud of it.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

for $8.00 you can repair a drum machine cable

Comment

But it won't be as strong as it originally was. Don't you need a mig welder to do that?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I`ve never broken a repair and I no longer weld the repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                I`ve never broken a repair and I no longer weld the repairs.
                All Clear,What do you do to repair a broken cable?
                Kenneth Collier
                Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                Jackson, MS 39206
                (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

if it broke, I look for "WHY" before fixing.
                  If it looks to be ok I cut it back a few feet from the spot where it broke and use a cable splicer.

Comment

Broken cables go to the scrap yard with the rest of the junk. Nobody gets hurt that way. if you clean them and oil them they last for years. My new Speedrooter 91 is just over a year old and the cable shows no signs of wear. It is washed down and oiled after each use. I rag with some orange cleaner left in the drum, keeps the truck smelling good also. My 11 year old Speedrooter machine only had a cable replacement once and that was at the attachment end that was welded once after almost 8 years of using it 5 or 6 times a week. The sectional machine still has its place for anything over 100' gets the eel, the sectional is a great machine but its a real PIA, hooking and on hooking cables, it throws the crap all over the place. Spend too much time cleaning up, getting the cables back in the tires. This old man is a drummer, a piece of duct tape over the drain hole in the drum keeps the carpets clean also.
                    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

I'd say with Chauncey's age comes wisdom, and I share some of that by what I've experienced in my humble beginnings. My beginning years in plumbing made me appreciate the switch due to how laborious it was handling the cables so much. Most if not all of my jobs are under 100'.

I do a lot of high end work so I can't be laying out nasty tarps in 300,000 to 2 million dollar homes, let alone buying news ones or even spending the time and effort to laundry dirty ones. People look at you like your nuts walking over carpet with cages (or tires) into their home when they seen what a normal machine looks like.

I have a short life in this business by my health problems and if there is an easy way to do something, back and body pain push me through those hoops without second guessing.

My thinking would be debunked if I had constant callbacks for drains not cleaned properly, and that isn't happening.

Sometimes I wish the drains would clog quicker than years because job security is what plumbing is all about.

It does surprise me on the subject of roots that the words RootX isn't thrown around in convo for all these super clean drains. That's full circle in the big picture of offering the best equipment AND preventative maintenance so root intrusions don't ever return.

And that opens up a dialogue of who's doing the job correctly, resolving the matter from that day forward and accepting that chemical treatments prevent root intrusions, knocking yourself out of a job.

That would mean a thorough cleaning, chemical treatment, follow up yearly that doesn't involve a drain machine (if you cleared the obstruction properly) and another shot of RootX. We all know this stuff works.

Off to do a 2" laundry tub drain and 2 kitchen sink drains if I take some crazy pills!

EDIT:

Passed the 2 KS drains over; at a restaurant in the middle of lunch hour? PASS....
                      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I WANT TO THINK DUNBAR AND ALL CLEAR,
                        FOR STANDING UP FOR DRUMMERS EVER WHERE ! !
                        I GET SO SICK OF READING NOTHING BUT SELECTIONAL STORIES, SORRY RICK AND MARK

I HAVE ALWAYS RUN DRUM MACHINES
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I didn't forget about you either Jerry, thanks for nominating this thread along with All Clear.

The 2" drain I cleared an hour ago was a tough one, had more cable outside the drain than I liked but this was a serious hard obstruction that grabbed hard every time I would try to go through.

It was tough for a solid foot and a half...took awhile but finally managed pass.

If I had something spinning in my hands at such a high rpm, I would of been injured today because it would dig in and hold every time. The slow and steady was the only way I was going to get through it.

The woman of the house was watching the progress through the cleanout and she was cheering me on; I had the water running the entire time and she was pleased with how black the water would be when I was working it.

You go grandma!
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've run a number of drum machines and have to say that I'm quite pleased with the sectional. However, that doesn't mean that I've given up on drums. I remember being up on a roof with my old General with 3/4" cable and having it hang up and start spinning the machine off the roof with me following close behind. I salvaged it before going over the edge. I feel a lot better with the K-60 in that place.

But if I had to do an overhead drain in a basement, I'd far prefer a drum. And sure, I'd like to have a big drum machine (MyTana?) for outside cleanouts.

You have to keep in mind that I'm a plumber first and that drain cleaning is a sideline. I'd like to do more of it, and may in the future if the calls come in. I got a machine that's good for all-around use and that holds up well. At least, I hope it holds up well. If the cleaning end of the business picks up, I'll probably get a drum machine, too.

Comment

I knock no piece of drain cleaning/clearing equip.What ever works.Yet I'am always hearing how hard it is to keep clean with sectionals.What are you all doing or not doing? I almost allways stay clean, unless I go under a house,tight places,etc; and if I wear coveralls even then. -----------NOT KNOCKING,JUST ASKING.-------------------but in the end ,Whatever floats your boat.
                              Kenneth Collier
                              Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                              Jackson, MS 39206
                              (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                              drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Speaking of boats--------------I GOT TO GET MYSELF ONE OF THOSE.-----------------What I would do with one,I don't know.
                                Kenneth Collier
                                Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                                Jackson, MS 39206
                                (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                                drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X