X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almighty KING of Drain Cleaning >>> DRUM MACHINES

Ran my 100 today and I'd swear it was remote control with the ease of use it offered.

Kept the work area clean, customer was concerned and I told her "it's okay" ...

"Drum Machines are here to Save the Day"

And then she asked for my autograph because of my superstar power with my drain cleaning skills. She was like "Deaaaaaaaaaam" I've never seen such harnessed power.

Saturday I came behind a guy who tried to clear the drain with a sectional and failed. I went in with a spear, then with a half blade root cutter and ripped a 9' root out of the drain. Followed up with 4 pounds of RootX.

Only bad thing out of this love story of why I left sectionals for my true love of "power in a drum" is that the lead wires grounded out and caught the wires that operate my lift gate, ruined the motor and battery.

Ordered a new one for $276 delivered from Harbor Freight...should be at the shop by 11-15.

Between my 81/100/300...I'm positive the cables did things that sectionals couldn't touch given the locations and the hard 360 turns *SCH40 S-trap on a kitchen sink WTF?*

This all coming from a disabled guy with a bad back, bad neck, a hemmorhoid the size of a coconut and possibly a rare case of syphillis.

I'm still going strong and can't say enough about drain cleaning machines that make the machine work, not the worker.

The machines I bought will last my career, literally. If I didn't own them I'd own Ridgid (winks at Ridgid's Top Drain Cleaning Engineers I met at the pumper show) drain cleaning machines as I'm curious to know how effective those plastic drums are for weight reasons.

The job I did today was 3' from the pipe I cut and it was a cinch to feed the cable in. Fought through a tight clog at 23' and once through, sat down, smoked my imaginary cigarrette and watched the machine easily retract the cable while the hose was in the same pipe (2") cleaning the cable on the return.

My left rotator cuff has been sore/bothering me for two months and I found great relief that I didn't have to work hard to use my equipment.

I've been using half-blades for some time and I must say that I can get more done with those than a full double cutter as I don't agree with fighting 90's Tee-Wye Combos or misaligned pipe. Gets too aggressive and the shiney blades coming back indicates you're fighting. Hod damn I'm going to publish a book, "How drum machines changed my work life" by Jose Dunbar Rodriguez.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Almighty KING of Drain Cleaning >>> DRUM MACHINES

good job on the drain better job on that price delivered for the lift gate
    I had a truck for a while with one loved it a lot but the truck needed to go and the reason it even sold was because it still had the working lift gate.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Saturday I came behind a guy who tried to clear the drain with a sectional and failed.

If the guy there before you couldn't clear that with a sectional I am not so sure he was doing it right. We had a 4 inch lateral packed solid with 20 feet of roots starting at 48 feet out and into the main on monday. We started with the 7500 and the roots laughed at it. So out came the tarps and the sectional. We did run the 7500 with the three blade cutter for clean up.

Comment

And so the cycle begins again.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ricks still sleeping,I'll help Him out here. Kentucky roots tend to be very soft, nothing like
          CA. FICUS RE-BAR ROOTS ! Sorry,this is a fairy tale . OOPS is said fairy tale! VOTE YES
          NOV. 4TH ON PROP#8!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

rick is awake and laughing.

it's not the machine, it's the user

i've failed a few times with both drum and sectional

but when it did get dug up, there was nothing getting through the damaged pipe.

i prefer the sectional for it's cable flexibility and strength. a 1.25'' cable can take a lot more abuse and torque than the tight wind 3/4'' innercore.

rick
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
              If the guy there before you couldn't clear that with a sectional I am not so sure he was doing it right. We had a 4 inch lateral packed solid with 20 feet of roots starting at 48 feet out and into the main on monday. We started with the 7500 and the roots laughed at it. So out came the tarps and the sectional. We did run the 7500 with the three blade cutter for clean up.
              Ever had a sectional cable wind up in a drain and spring back out? When hitting a hard obstruction and the cable torquing up, the clutch releasing along with the reverse motion, that vibration used to kill my hands. Cable spinning that fast is hard on the digits because the vibration is violent.

I run inner-core cables and delivers all the torque to the end. My cables aren't reverse wound either where they don't tighten down when they hit an obstruction.

The guy who was there before me had a tarp down but he had crap all over the walls and his cages apparently dripped crap everywhere on the carpet the times he would move them in and out.

I throw my footstool on my machine along with my gloves, roll of paper towels under my arm and pipewrench/pliers to pop a cleanout or toilet. One trip down.

NEVER do I have to manually pull my cable back, nor do I hand feed my cable all the way to the clog. Dr. Phil "What was you thinking?" using a machine that makes you do all the work. ????

I think all the years I ran sectionals is what has tore my body down, all that extra physical work just to clean a damn drain????!!!!!

Kinda made buying my drum machines like a "Welcome Home" party that I found equipment that is user friendly.

That lady absolutely would not of let me in her home with a sectional. I don't know what kind it was but she and her husband asked why someone wouldn't buy a machine that wasn't put together already. LMAO!!!!

I told her I started off using them and when I went to drum machines, less cleanup time, less work, less work back at the shop cleaning roots out of cables, NOT getting paid.

I'd rather have tight wound than loose for the $&@!( factor of slowly cleaning the cable. BAM! POW! CLOG BE GONE!
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Ricks still sleeping,I'll help Him out here. Kentucky roots tend to be very soft, nothing like
                CA. FICUS RE-BAR ROOTS ! Sorry,this is a fairy tale . OOPS is said fairy tale! VOTE YES
                NOV. 4TH ON PROP#8!

That's why the rep would take 4" pipe, stick a 1/2" wood dowel through the pipe and run the machine.

When the dowel would break, it sounded like an explosion and scared all the sectional guys in the classroom.

Nevertheless, the room was still divided between sectional guys and drummers...I've never seen so much opposition to an easier way of life.

You lifelong plumbers need to consider which machine is going to break the body down quicker, and I already know that answer because I'm living proof.

I don't recall holding a 60 pound bag of concrete in one hand exactly safe for proper back care. Then to hold a cage of cable in the other? Who's working harder my friends. My friends...

My friends...there's a better way. BTW I love soft roots (mop hair) cause they grab the attachment and that's it. No curling into the open wind. Having a knife was standard equipment to cut roots, got tired of having to assemble/disassemble those cables in 15' sections. I would cry when I had a long one to do. Brought too much garbage back out of the drain and that fresh light brown feces....

Think about that laying a couple feet from ya in that cage, customer looking at ya wincing and you're barely breathing because it stinks to high hell! Blaaaaaaaaaaargh! Vibration would wisp that crap everywhere including on me! No thank you!

At the most, I see 20" of the cable, tops 3' and that's it.

Comment

Wow. That's all I can say.

My impression of the sectional is that the cables are very light and easy to handle. The idea that they can flip out of the drain when the cable starts to torque sounds like a fantasy. The machine slips before that can happen. And I don't see all that much cable - the machine sits as close to the drain as I can get it, with only enough room to slip the cable up and down to feed it.

I always start by feeding the cable in by hand as far as I can. Sometimes, you can go quite a ways before you have to put the cable in the machine. When I remember what it was like doing that with a drum - those shoulders always ached the next day.

And dragging a heavy drum machine up a set of basement steps or carrying the heavy 3/4" cable and drum doesn't sound pleasant at all.

As to stink - it stinks no matter what kind of drum it's in. If you're flushing the cable after you clear the line, it's not going to be bad.

I'm now using the Ridgid cable oil and now that stuff stinks! "Lightly scented," it says. Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    Ever had a sectional cable wind up in a drain and spring back out? When hitting a hard obstruction and the cable torquing up, the clutch releasing along with the reverse motion, that vibration used to kill my hands. Cable spinning that fast is hard on the digits because the vibration is violent.
                    I run inner-core cables and delivers all the torque to the end. My cables aren't reverse wound either where they don't tighten down when they hit an obstruction.
                    The guy who was there before me had a tarp down but he had crap all over the walls and his cages apparently dripped crap everywhere on the carpet the times he would move them in and out.
                    I'd rather have tight wound than loose for the $&@!( factor of slowly cleaning the cable. BAM! POW! CLOG BE GONE!
                    We run eel cables with the inner cores as well but we run them with a 1/2 inch drill instead of the machine. You can control the wind up, so I have yet to have one spring out at me. The other advantage of the drill is the speed that it turns at is less so you don't get crap all over. If this was in a finished room or basement which it may have been, the first machine out for me would have been the drum. Every job is different there is not doubt that the drum is quick and easy but I don't think for the tough jobs you can beat the power of sectional.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      rick is awake and laughing.

it's not the machine, it's the user

i've failed a few times with both drum and sectional

but when it did get dug up, there was nothing getting through the damaged pipe.

i prefer the sectional for it's cable flexibility and strength. a 1.25'' cable can take a lot more abuse and torque than the tight wind 3/4'' innercore.

rick
                      I have been reading and have been completely entertained with the debate of drums and sectionals, but I was thinking about this debate and was thinking of starting a post with basically the same words, as what Rick just said, "it's not the machine, it's the user"

and you read one post that the drum did some thing the sectional did not do, or the sectional did what the drum could not do, granted there is some advantages with each type of machine, (cable type and flexibility, the speed (RPM), and type of wind on the cable),

but I would guess in some one's properly experienced hands and one who is use to the machine there using, probably can (if the machine is in the range of use) do fine with either machine type, yes I can see some advantages for each type, but I would guess in the end it is the user of the equipment, much more than the machine type, and the quality of work or the ability of job performance,

I bet that the more experienced users of this forum could clean most any drain, IF cleanable, with there machine of choice, either drum or sectional, yes there may be an advantage with weight, or with getting it some where, but when said and done I would guess the GUY running the rig is more the key to the clearing operation than the actually machine used,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The TRUE master uses both. Read my signature.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                          Wow. That's all I can say.

My impression of the sectional is that the cables are very light and easy to handle. The idea that they can flip out of the drain when the cable starts to torque sounds like a fantasy. The machine slips before that can happen. And I don't see all that much cable - the machine sits as close to the drain as I can get it, with only enough room to slip the cable up and down to feed it.

I always start by feeding the cable in by hand as far as I can. Sometimes, you can go quite a ways before you have to put the cable in the machine. When I remember what it was like doing that with a drum - those shoulders always ached the next day.

And dragging a heavy drum machine up a set of basement steps or carrying the heavy 3/4" cable and drum doesn't sound pleasant at all.

As to stink - it stinks no matter what kind of drum it's in. If you're flushing the cable after you clear the line, it's not going to be bad.

I'm now using the Ridgid cable oil and now that stuff stinks! "Lightly scented," it says. Ha.

You got a ways to go my friend. Need to have that machine for years to get into some of the situations not just I've been in....but if you'll look through the admissions of rick and gear junkie you'll hear of a few accidents with the machine....just like any machine can warrant.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                            We run eel cables with the inner cores as well but we run them with a 1/2 inch drill instead of the machine. You can control the wind up, so I have yet to have one spring out at me. The other advantage of the drill is the speed that it turns at is less so you don't get crap all over. If this was in a finished room or basement which it may have been, the first machine out for me would have been the drum. Every job is different there is not doubt that the drum is quick and easy but I don't think for the tough jobs you can beat the power of sectional.

I can see the advantages of the drill for control, that's what gene bickford does.

In my years running a drum, I've never done a job I couldn't do, and if there was one, I was calling backhoe joe to dig it.

I believe in inner-core cables as they keep the strength in the attachment. Might be spinning slower but that's not the problem, you have to keep augering forward to get the obstruction to break, then reel back and see what you're dealing with, switch blades and finish the job.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              I have been reading and have been completely entertained with the debate of drums and sectionals, but I was thinking about this debate and was thinking of starting a post with basically the same words, as what Rick just said, "it's not the machine, it's the user"

and you read one post that the drum did some thing the sectional did not do, or the sectional did what the drum could not do, granted there is some advantages with each type of machine, (cable type and flexibility, the speed (RPM), and type of wind on the cable),

but I would guess in some one's properly experienced hands and one who is use to the machine there using, probably can (if the machine is in the range of use) do fine with either machine type, yes I can see some advantages for each type, but I would guess in the end it is the user of the equipment, much more than the machine type, and the quality of work or the ability of job performance,

I bet that the more experienced users of this forum could clean most any drain, IF cleanable, with there machine of choice, either drum or sectional, yes there may be an advantage with weight, or with getting it some where, but when said and done I would guess the GUY running the rig is more the key to the clearing operation than the actually machine used,

But what's unusual in my situation is I started out in running sectionals, switched to drums, opposite of rick.

All that damn work that the sectional offers isn't found in the drum. Drum is the "graduated" version of drain cleaning.

I found running sectional cables very unenjoyable and laborious to do a job that the machine doesn't do on its own.

Once I switched to drums, it's a no brainer that one is so much easier to operate and offers a better application if you're doing it for a living.

I'll never own a sectional, don't need it as there's no application I'll ever find to be worthy of the cost or the necessity. Certainly haven't seen where the drum is limited in any way for clearing a drain.

Granted, there are those basing drum machines by ones that are horrible to operate, no powerfeed and no real selection of cutters to say it's worthwhile.

I find general drum machines not to be of my liking. The spartan equipment I'm operating does everything except buy the twinkies at the store while I'm eating them while on the bucket watching the machine do all the work, like it's supposed to do.

How many times do you have to hook/unhook cables when you're running through a huge belly? You don't want to know...too much work and it sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X